23 May 2010, 2:20 pm

JakeGrover wrote:
I sure hope there's more AS girls. :)

:D

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 2:32 pm

I think females are just underdiagnosed and may present with slightly different behaviors as males, possibly for the reasons sited above at least in part.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 6:07 pm

It's a ratio that needs to be higher :lol:

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 6:53 pm

budgenator wrote:
Some researchers are saying light-skinned people should take at least 1,300 IU a day, dark-skinned at least 3,100 IU a day. The rapid increase in people with ASD parallels the medical advice to avoid sun-exposure and use sun-block. To get into the toxic range with vitamin D 50,000 IU need to be taken for months, given the low cost of Vitamin D, the potential risk to benefit ratio and the high safety margin, it seems a no-brainer to me. I've been taking 2,000IU a day for about 6 months and seem to feel much better and the more annoying ASD symptoms are either much reduced or in remission.

Some people have a lower "tolerance" for vitamin D but the signs of toxicity are pretty obvious and it's fairly easy for those folks to play around until they find the proper lower dosage for themselves. I only know of one documented case of death from vitamin D supplementation at the levels you mention.

I take 10,000 IU per day in the winter (I live in a northern latitude) and 5,000 IU twice a week in the summer and I feel so much better than before I started supplementing. It's really done a world of good for my ability to cope with things. Supplementation has been a real life-saver for me. I take D, magnesium and periodic 5-HTP (only when the stress levels get too high) and while I still obviously am autistic and still have issues to deal with, things are worlds better for me now.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.