Being called weird by people also considered to be weird

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2010, 11:16 am

I'm curious to know, who else here has had this happen to them? How did it make you feel?

I was called weird by a girl with a mad stare who could hardly speak without squealing, made disturbingly accurate dog barking and snarling noises, insisted on drawing on people's ears and faces in lessons, and kept plastic cutlery in her pencil case. A lot of people told her she was weird. When she said I was weird, I laughed at her and said,
"Okay, whatever you say".

What are your thoughts on this?

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 12:50 pm

LOL, I would always play it up for a date. "Yep. Guess we're two of a kind. Coffee?"

Well, back then there weren't coffee shops of course, but you get the idea. Brandish some plastic utensils or a squeaky toy or something.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 12:59 pm

I use it as a compliment! Everyone in my family calls each other mad or weird or something along those lines, because we all are :lol:

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2010, 1:11 pm

As I get older, I pride myself on being eccentric!

Our society throws it's concept of "normal" around, whatever that might be. Even people who are considered wierd, in a sense aspire to be normal.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 2:08 pm

This is when I know I hit rock-bottom, which just makes me crack up.

skylined
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 May 2010, 2:31 pm

Between other things, it was because of this (feeling weird, and getting comments how wierd I am, even between weirdos), I started to suspect that I have AS.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2010, 5:02 pm

I've tried it before, and I (and would still do today) took it as a huge compliment.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 7:12 pm

I'm not weird, most people are just too normal. I've tried to take being called weird as a compliment but couldn't because I know they meant for it to be mean.

Daniella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2010, 7:51 am

Weird.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 12:23 pm

I would tell her 'aren't you the pot calling the kettle black.' I figure if she's weird and calling you weird, it cancels itself out.

I've been called weird by a loser, does that count? As Ferdinand said, I just cracked up at it.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 7:54 am

That's happened to me too.

Here's what I think- people sometimes accuse others of having qualities they see in themselves. Whenever somebody criticizes a person, it might be what they feel about themselves.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 3:28 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
LOL, I would always play it up for a date. "Yep. Guess we're two of a kind. Coffee?"

Well, back then there weren't coffee shops of course, but you get the idea. Brandish some plastic utensils or a squeaky toy or something.

:lol:

right. maybe she was trying to make a friend. when i was a kid i called a boy i liked "weird" and my dad yelled at me for it and made me apologize, but i meant it as a compliment.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 6:47 am

When it happens I take is as if they are weird, but I am more weird.

It makes me sad. :cry:

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2010, 11:20 am

Weird is good! Who'd want to be like everyone else? Boooring.

One of the things about people that I will never understand is how many people of a marginalized minority still have a negative, close-minded attitude toward other marginalized minorities. Not all of them, of course, but many of them.

Why is it that people seem to assume that "weird" or "different" must be bad? Sometimes different is bad, but often it is simply neutral or even good. Why pass judgment on different until you are sure which category it belongs to? Often, "simply neutral" ends up classified as "good" in my book because it adds to diversity. And even weird that turns out to be bad can teach you something. No wonder weird always attracts me like a moth to a flame! It's a good thing, too--if it weren't for weird people, I wouldn't ever have made any friends at all.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 2:34 pm

I dealt with a lot of that, in high school. I'm glad those days are over.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 3:53 pm

I don't take labels seriously. I am more interested in how someone feels or how my behaviour affects them (for instance, if my fleeting eye contact makes them wonder if I'm listening or not).

I don't give people the power to make me second guess myself by considering their labels that they might toss my way.