Page 7 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Dec 2014, 8:19 pm

Medical Marijuana anyone?

For me, no thank you.

As for the rest of you, do what you must.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 7:47 am

I've tried risperidone, and I've tried marijuana. Both for an extended period of time (about nine months and three years, respectively).

Both of them have about the same sedating/calming effect (at least on the outside; inside my head, marijuana worked a lot better). Both of them make you fat, lazy, and stupid. Risperidone kills your liver; marijuana, if smoked anyway, kills your lungs. Neither of them are exactly sending sincere love letters to your grey matter.

BUT. On marijuana, I went to my classes and made A's. I went to the grocery store. I socialized with people if I had to. I cleaned my house. Had I had children when I smoked, I imagine I would have cared for them. Certainly my dope-smoking relatives cared very well for me.

On risperidone, I slept. When I wasn't sleeping, I sat on the couch and waited to die. I could barely drag myself to the bathroom. I seldom bathed, and struggled to make cold cereal and ramen noodles. I could barely FIND the grocery store, let alone make a list, drag myself through the store, come home and put the groceries away, and then cook a meal. I couldn't socialize-- I couldn't carry a conversation with my husband, much less speak to a stranger.

It affects different people differently. It isn't safe, harmless, and without side effects. You need to be just as alert as if you were trying a new lab-made pharmaceutical. But, based on my experience, you have nothing to lose.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 6:14 pm

As with any drug, care must be taken. With marijuana, it's harder as it hasn't been investigated as a medicine since there are too many legal obstacles. Scientists in Israel are studying it now. I've used it just over a year and it's changed my life. There is a way to get many of the benefits without the THC CBD oil can be found without any THC. The only thing I've found is when I tried a different brand, the effects slowly dissipated until I put 2 and 2 together and switched back to the first one. And the 'cure' was again evident within 2 or 3 days. I started taking both CBD oil and edibles on my brother's recommendation. I didn't try them separately, so I can't say with certainty which did which. There is evidence of how effective CBD oil is. Here's a video by Dr. Sanjay Gupta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4GUkzTnFG0

Guitarguy86
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2015, 6:47 pm

I'm a medical patient in California. I can look up menus online, and figure out what types I need for sleep, anxiety, depression, pain, etc. Then I find out which places have the types I'm looking for, and go buy it. Indicas=relaxed. Sativas=energy. Hybrids are both. Between these three types, there are countless sub-types. That's when things get specific. Then there are some high CBD(little psychoactive effects) strains like Harlequin, AC/DC, Pineapple Thai, API, Cannatonic, which are the epitome of "medical marijuana." These are the ones I smoke more of. I wrote an article for Cannabis Now Magazine on how strains like Harlequin help me the most http://cannabisnowmagazine.com/cannabis ... s-syndrome

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 4:12 pm

Guitarguy86 wrote:
I'm a medical patient in California. I can look up menus online, and figure out what types I need for sleep, anxiety, depression, pain, etc. Then I find out which places have the types I'm looking for, and go buy it. Indicas=relaxed. Sativas=energy. Hybrids are both. Between these three types, there are countless sub-types. That's when things get specific. Then there are some high CBD(little psychoactive effects) strains like Harlequin, AC/DC, Pineapple Thai, API, Cannatonic, which are the epitome of "medical marijuana." These are the ones I smoke more of. I wrote an article for Cannabis Now Magazine on how strains like Harlequin help me the most http://cannabisnowmagazine.com/cannabis ... s-syndrome

Isn't it great to live in California with medical marijuana and weedmaps???

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 4:22 pm

I'll just echo everyone (mostly) and say it's probably the primary reason I'm alive. I'm in the middle of a detox, longest I've done in a while, and my sleep paralysis is returning, my insomnia is uncontrollable, my technical work is more taxing by orders of magnitude and my physique is taking a hit as a result. I know it's worth the wait to keep my tolerance reasonable and save to buy better glass, I'm just sick & tired of being forced to coexist with drug policy that wasn't even drafted in my lifetime.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

moon3goddess3
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2015, 2:40 am

We're thinking of moving to Colorado. My son could only get it here in Missouri if he has epilepsy which he does not thank goodness but the side effects of the drugs they want him to take is down right scary! He's too young to get medical marijuana in any state legally, even Marinol though getting a doctor to prescribe it is impossible anyway they're all afraid they'll lose their license. Its not the THC that's needed and you can get strains that have virtually no THC for recreational use in Colorado now so as much as I hate to leave my family and friends behind It's a serious consideration for my son's health and my sanity. Many people have commented that well it makes them "stoned" so of course they're calmer or whatever well first off its the THC that has those affects and honestly the drugs that he is prescribed do exactly that now except they're destroying his liver, he has odd tics, NO appetite whatsoever and has developed bad nightmares.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 8:31 am

pcuser wrote:
Guitarguy86 wrote:

Isn't it great to live in California with medical marijuana and weedmaps???

Yes it is...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 10:44 am

Chronos wrote:
shawniesmom wrote:
So my son has a classmate who like my son has been on rispirdal a long time and has begun to have liver function problems. His mother just confided in me that for the past 6months he has been a legal card holding medical marijuana user (edibles) It is having a less sedating effect than the rispirdal, but seems to address all of his anxiety, aggression and self injury issues, and has even become social with new people instead of melting down. I am considering heading down this path. I was wondering if anyone is using medical MJ for symptoms or has their child on it......i would appreciate any input pos or neg, how it helps your symptoms or anything. thank you

This is coming from someone who grew up in a family with multiple family members who had/have severe substance abuse problems with "soft" drugs and "hard" drugs alike.

I don't know your son's classmate, so I can't comment on the situation. Marijuana does have valid medicinal purposes. However out of all the people I have known who have had medical marijuana cards, I can tell you only one of them had a valid reason for it, and the rest were just people who wanted to get high.

Here is the problem with marijuana. It is a drug which convinces a person that they are not significantly impaired by it, and causes apathy in those who can least afford to be apathetic.

I don't know how to elaborate cohesively so I'm just going to highlight my experiences with people under the influence of pot.

1. People who present themselves as fun, outgoing, and my true friend, and then, the next day, not only aren't my friend but think I have a problem for thinking they were. Pot makes people "lie" in this manner, and those who smoke it have a blatant disregard for the emotions of those they are lying to. They act in a manner which is not themselves, make choices they wouldn't otherwise make, and due to the nature of the effects of the drug, see nothing wrong with this form of deceit. The problem is always on the other person who they will always proclaim is over reacting because they are just not "chill" and biased against pot, and should just let "it" go, because in the mind of the pot smoker "it" is never a big deal, even if it is to someone else.

2. The mentality that pot is nothing and it doesn't impair a person....yet everyone is supposed to know that any promises, business deals, etc, a person makes while under the influence of it, they really didn't mean, so the other person shouldn't get upset when they don't come through, and everyone who "talks them into" something while they are under the influence, is guilty of taking advantage of then in their altered state.

3. Apathy. Pot makes people apathetic. I see this first hand all of the time. A teenager who starts smoking pot is far more likely to withdraw from activities other than those which are associated with the smoking of pot. Their grades usually fall and they usually start spending far more time alone in their room whether they are smoking it in there or not.

So those are a few of my issues with it based on my completely sober experiences with not so sober people.

Pot is a drug that deceives and minimizes. The vast majority of pot smokers are functional drug addicts. They do not consider themselves drug addicts because they think being a drug addict means you cannot stop taking a drug because you have an overwhelming craving for it and it's destroying your life, but they have an incomplete understanding of what drug addiction is.

Equally, a drug addict is someone who cannot stop taking a drug because it shields them from seeing the reasons they should, and it is impacting someone elses life. This is a functional drug addict.

In my experience people who act/behave like this under the influence of pot....are people who already have a disregard for others, think they're the coolest thing in the universe, smoke for the wrong reasons and that they have a tolerance of steel for any drug, basically these people are douchebags who happen to smoke pot, blaming their behavior on the pot really just enables it. In my experience it does mellow me out, makes me less apt to get anxious or irritable and helps being more comfortable around people.........I am far more apathetic if I don't smoke cause I just get crabby and irritable and overwhelmed with my PTSD/autism sensory issues and then all I care about is 'grr I'm in a bad mood' if I mellow out with some cannabis I can think to myself 'wow, why so grouchy it's all good...hey now I want to go spend time with 'insert family member/friend'. And no a drug addict is someone who cannot stop taking a drug due to dependence regardless of if its impacting their life and other peoples lives in a bad way. Doing something and not seeing why you should stop doing that thing is called willful ignorance regardless of all the signs right in your face. But IDK what you describe is what I know as your classic douchebag stoner...in my circle that includes many stoners we steer clear of those kinds.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 10:52 am

tenzinsmom wrote:
My experience with medical marijuana was taking it--illegally--after my daughter died.

I was grieving and wanted some relief.

I found that at first I felt so much better. I just took one puff, and I felt a euphoria, a calmness and happiness.

But then, after about a week, that feeling started to get weaker and I started smoking more to get back the good feeling.

(from what I know, the edibles are even stronger than the smoke)

And, I couldn't. What I found was that I experienced more mental confusion and tiredness that got worse and worse until I stopped altogether.

About 4 months later I tried again.

This time I tried to smoke the very least amount, that would give me a good feeling but no mental confusion. I even tried making a tincture with it. I couldn't find the least amount that didn't cause some mental confusion.

I totally understand your need to find some help for your child other than the pharamaceutical medicine that is damaging to his liver. However, I don't think marijuana is a positive route. With long term, chronic use, it does cause brain damage. I'm talking consistent use between 10-20 years. You can do the research.

From my experience, the mental confusion it causes just would not be good for a child.

Have you tried to see a holistic medical practitioner? What about a DAN doctor to treat your son's dangerous/debilitating conditions?

If you can get past the name: Defeat Autism Now, you might find a good practitioner who understands autism and will help you find natural means to help your child.

I would strongly recommend that route before turning to cannibis.

Please let us know if you find something that works.

Actually there is no substantial proof cannabis causes brain damage, it causes you confusion...doesn't mean it causes everyone brain damage. Also you die without your liver....even if cannabis did cause very minor brain damage over time, its easier to live with that than without a liver...also though there is much medical research coming out about cannabis being beneficial for autism. Of course the dosage given to a child would be less than the amount somone would take to get 'high' and some strains without THC have been developed for things like Epilepsy, though not entirely sure if they could do the same for autism as maybe the THC is part of what helps autism still unclear on all that though.

Though looking at other natural routes is a good idea to, anything is better than liver damaging drugs if it can help the condition.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 5:00 pm

CBD/THCA dominant strains are really helpful for me, I've got some right now in fact. Highly concentrated... :mrgreen: My crazy sleep disorders are all but gone, I've been making money more efficiently, my metabolism is healthier and my life feels simpler. Muscle twitches, ocular headaches, random sports & strain injuries, anxiety and other people are all among the list of things not bothering me right now. All I really need to remember is when herbal backup must be called in.

Just renewed my medical license. Hooray!

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 6:34 am

I have found Rhodiola an adequate substitute for Cannabis. If you want similar effects to Cannabis, but want something cheap and legal, look into adaptogen herbs.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 10:47 am

I get no benefit from pot. As a matter of fact, I end up thinking too much. Not good. :?