Page 4 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I am not sure how using medical marijuana to treat unpleasent symptoms of a disorder is 'cowboy chemistry' whatever that means. Also peoples bodies have chemicals and genes in them, and these things interact and can cause disorders, and just general variations between people...as a rule most disorders cannot be traced to one specific thing especially psychological disorders.

Cowboy chemistry was just a reference to the recklessness of using drugs on everything. Also don't tell me how disorders happen. I said about genes already.

Sweetleaf wrote:
I know marijuana is an external drug and that it effects brain chemistry, but if it is being used to treat symptoms and decreases those symptoms without many negative side effects I do not see the issue there. Why should common pharmacuticals be put in a different catagory...those are also external drugs that effect brain chemistry to.

What are these aberrant qualities you are referring to?

Look, I wont get in to the specifics of pharmaceuticals and I don't doubt that people have massively overstated the dangers of Cannabis but the active ingredient THC is still somewhat addictive. It isn't as addictive as alcohol or nicotine but it's still addictive and is still psychoactive. It is a somewhat strange mix of analgesic, relaxant and painkiller too. As for what I think about common pharmaceuticals I thought the point I made was that I think it is atrocious that something with such dangerous side effects should be used.

Yes I was talking about genes as well..and I was just trying to respond and I felt it was relevent information...

It can be addictive for certian individuals, and it is certainly psychoactive(so are things like anti-depressants and other prescription psych meds) Psychoactive does not nessisarly=bad and in the case of a disorder that effects the mental process a drug that has no psychoactive effects would probably do no good. It is also a painkiller, which if someone is in pain pain-relief is good.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 3:13 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Yes I was talking about genes as well..and I was just trying to respond and I felt it was relevent information...
Well don't just repeat it. Say that what I said was correct. Like 'you're right when you said...'

Sweetleaf wrote:
It can be addictive for certian individuals, and it is certainly psychoactive(so are things like anti-depressants and other prescription psych meds) Psychoactive does not nessisarly=bad and in the case of a disorder that effects the mental process a drug that has no psychoactive effects would probably do no good. It is also a painkiller, which if someone is in pain pain-relief is good.

I know psychoactive isn't necessarily bad but if you think about all of the various effects it has on the body they are all little things that cause addiction. Analgesics, painkillers, mood dampeners and all sorts. Marijuana is a shotgun treatment, far from perfect and it doesn't deal with the root of the problem, which any good drug should. Although if I had to choose between marijuana and liver damage I'd go marijuana every time.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 3:19 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well don't just repeat it. Say that what I said was correct. Like 'you're right when you said...'

Sweetleaf wrote:

I know psychoactive isn't necessarily bad but if you think about all of the various effects it has on the body they are all little things that cause addiction. Analgesics, painkillers, mood dampeners and all sorts. Marijuana is a shotgun treatment, far from perfect and it doesn't deal with the root of the problem, which any good drug should. Although if I had to choose between marijuana and liver damage I'd go marijuana every time.

Such as? not quite sure what an analgestic is.....but one of the resons medicinal marijuana has become quite popular in some states is because it is much less addictive than most prescription pain-killers so its a safer alternative. Of course marijuana is not perfect nor is any drug, most medications in general do not adress the root of the problem and are to just relieve symptoms.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 3:36 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Such as? not quite sure what an analgestic is.....but one of the resons medicinal marijuana has become quite popular in some states is because it is much less addictive than most prescription pain-killers so its a safer alternative. Of course marijuana is not perfect nor is any drug, most medications in general do not adress the root of the problem and are to just relieve symptoms.

Analgesic is not what the name suggests. It's the technical term for painkiller. THe problem is though is that I can name all sorts of random drugs that have the specific affect of relieving symptoms like pain. Codeine for example, paracetamol is another and they don't have the shotgun effect of Marijuana that makes it dangerous. The problem is that in the end this kid shouldn't have to use drugs at all for having autism. All they're doing is ramming him in to line so that they don't have to deal with the problem any more.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 4:05 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Analgesic is not what the name suggests. It's the technical term for painkiller. THe problem is though is that I can name all sorts of random drugs that have the specific affect of relieving symptoms like pain. Codeine for example, paracetamol is another and they don't have the shotgun effect of Marijuana that makes it dangerous. The problem is that in the end this kid shouldn't have to use drugs at all for having autism. All they're doing is ramming him in to line so that they don't have to deal with the problem any more.

What do you mean, as far as I know those drugs are more addictive then marijuana and do not really adress the cause, they relieve the pain. Also in the Op it says the kid has self harm issues along with other things if there is something that helps with that I think it is a valid reason. And why should the problem have to continue if there is something that helps reduce it.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 5:07 pm

people who smoke grass are stoners .

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 3:42 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

What do you mean, as far as I know those drugs are more addictive then marijuana and do not really adress the cause, they relieve the pain. Also in the Op it says the kid has self harm issues along with other things if there is something that helps with that I think it is a valid reason. And why should the problem have to continue if there is something that helps reduce it.

Eurgh. I said Marijuana over liver damage any day already. Also codeine isn't more addictive than marijuana. You need to be on codeine for weeks until you actually get an addictive response. With the same dose of THC you have a hook. Also is self-harming best dealt with through drugs or does that suggest extreme sadness and stress?

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2011, 4:24 am

Stick to the actual symptoms of autism / aspergers. Anxiety / sadness etc are not part of the criteria. We are treating the autism not the co-morbid conditions.

CHILDREN: Cannabis affects kids less than it does adults per dose/KG of bodyweight. This applies to the high, the side effects, the dangers and a lot of the medical effects.

Cannabis: Safely worming children, dogs and ducks for millennia.

If you can't find the good science, ask me, I am a medicinal cannabis user who uses it to treat his own aspergers with great satisfaction and enough success.

If you oppose giving cannabis to autistic kids you are harming them, in my opinion.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

CannabisForAutism wrote:
Stick to the actual symptoms of autism / aspergers. Anxiety / sadness etc are not part of the criteria. We are treating the autism not the co-morbid conditions.

CHILDREN: Cannabis affects kids less than it does adults per dose/KG of bodyweight. This applies to the high, the side effects, the dangers and a lot of the medical effects.

Cannabis: Safely worming children, dogs and ducks for millennia.

If you can't find the good science, ask me, I am a medicinal cannabis user who uses it to treat his own aspergers with great satisfaction and enough success.

If you oppose giving cannabis to autistic kids you are harming them, in my opinion.

What? Safely worming? What? The Good science? Also how does THC affect children less than adults? Have you ever heard of the side-effects of drugs on growing persons? Also I am not harming people by not giving them a drug. I and everyone I know wasn't given drugs and we seemed to do fine. So quit trying to turn this in to some personal moralizing campaign.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 7:34 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Eurgh. I said Marijuana over liver damage any day already. Also codeine isn't more addictive than marijuana. You need to be on codeine for weeks until you actually get an addictive response. With the same dose of THC you have a hook. Also is self-harming best dealt with through drugs or does that suggest extreme sadness and stress?

It would depend on the individual situation.......it could have to do with sadness and stress, but the cannabis could help with dealing with the stress.

PeaceFrog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2011, 12:44 am

:) I've found that Medical Marijuana can be highly effective! It is one of the most effective and least harmful medicines on the planet, used by many throughout the world for thousands of years. Speaking from personal experience, I can say that it helps a great deal with anxiety (and life in general to be quite honest!) The biggest drawback I've had to deal with is increased appetite and weight gain if you're not careful. Some may say that using Marijuana makes you apathetic but I've found the exact opposite to be true!

Your Aspie score: 161 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 45

ci
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 12:49 am

I must state my opinion on the subject.

1. I am not overall a pot fan. Some seem to smoke that stuff all the time. I do not respect that behavior because anyone who uses a drug like that all the time to me suffers from a weakness of will when not absolutely needed. The idea that it's not addictive is hog wash as it is psychologically addictive.

2. For a medicine I believe it is over persribed. I support it for chronic pain, cancer and otherwise life ending usages. As far as the use for psychological treatment I believe claims are not scientific enough. It can cause anxiety, delusions and mental disturbances in general and can create dependency where psychological will power can be a solution and that goes for certain kinds of medicines where applicable only.

As far as treating autism with pot that is as silly as saying pot is for kids.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 2:45 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

It would depend on the individual situation.......it could have to do with sadness and stress, but the cannabis could help with dealing with the stress.

But given how many people just prolong the problem with marijuana I can only guess... GIven my history with depressive moods I often find a burst of exercise is able to get me out of it. Marijuana doesn't solve that much because you can only use it in small doses without the danger of addiction. Same thing with time. Using a drug to deal with sadness and stress is like using oil to lubricate an engine part with a steel bar stuck in it. You remove the damn steel bar.

stilldays
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2011, 9:15 am

Any drug will alter in effects according to the reason it was taken. Cannabis, when used in the treatment of problems with autism has helped me greatly but I also have learned to treat it as medicine and not and high and it works better that way. It relaxes me at night and helps me sleep without being "knocked out". I recommend it over any other drug for the simple fact that it cannot kill you. If someone smokes it and they get panic from it, they could try an indica variety that tends to slow thought process instead of speeding it up. If anxiety continues then you're unlucky and should not smoke it. Also, when I use it I only smoke one or two puffs. It's only when someone smokes excessively that it becomes a problem when it comes to motivation and apathy. I just use it as one of the many pharmacological agents in my treatment. I use it along side Kratom, which is amazing at helping me understand empathy and open open from being shut in my own head. Then theres adderall which I've found to actually get me off my ass to apply for college. Gabapentin and Klonopin are the only drugs I'm forced to take because I was given them too early in life to think about addiction. Everyone is different suppose.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 10:07 am

stilldays wrote:
If someone smokes it and they get panic from it, they could try an indica variety that tends to slow thought process instead of speeding it up. If anxiety continues then you're unlucky and should not smoke it. Also, when I use it I only smoke one or two puffs.

I thought it was already established that smoking is off-limits because of the toxins produced by combustion, not to mention the tar.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 10:20 am

Gedrene wrote:
stilldays wrote:
If someone smokes it and they get panic from it, they could try an indica variety that tends to slow thought process instead of speeding it up. If anxiety continues then you're unlucky and should not smoke it. Also, when I use it I only smoke one or two puffs.

I thought it was already established that smoking is off-limits because of the toxins produced by combustion, not to mention the tar.

Smoking should be off limits to children...but people in general who use cannabis probably won't quit smoking it.