My problem with most of the Asperger's Syndrome books

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

zippy-tri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jun 2011, 10:44 am

I've read Freaks, Geeks and Asperger's syndrome by Luke JAckson, and I enjoyed reading it. He came across as being a very likeable lad, a cool teenager, and he was only 13.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 1:02 pm

Pffft, there are things I want to change about myself and have. If I never changed and everyone just had to accept me, I'd still be speech delayed, talking about the same things over and over and talking about my obsessions over and over, only talking about what I want to talk about and then leave when they decide they want to talk about something else, I wouldn't be employed because I'd still be inflexible, my TOM would still suck, my life be a lot harder if I didn't change over the years.

Everyone has things about themselves they need to change but we all make choices about what we want to change.

I guess my mother didn't accept me for who I was because she had to take me to therapies and had me do occupational therapy and worked on my speech and did social stories with me. :roll:

Fauna
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm

I thought Tony Attwood's Complete Guide to Asperger Syndrome was good. It was one of the first books I ever read about Asperger Syndrome and if I had to recommend a book about Asperger syndrome that would be it. Other than that I have seen some very poor books about Asperger Syndrome that seem judgemental. I also find some of the autobiographies quite tedious.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 2:27 pm

KenM wrote:
Almost all the books I see in stores on Asperger's Syndrome are about one thing. How to "cure" or how to "change" the person with AS. We are who we are. How about more books on accepting us and not changing us. The only reason NT's want to change us is because they are scared of us. More books about accepting us and less about "fixing" us, please.

I read this in a book of quotations today and can see the parallels with Aspergers:

'If you have a child who is seven feet tall, you don't cut off his head and legs. You buy him a bigger bed and hope he plays basketball.' Robert Altman

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 2:32 pm

I mean, not that this thread hadn't been posted in for 5 years until today and there have been numerous new publications between now and then... Nah, resurrecting this thread totally has a point. It's not like a majority of its posters are no longer active.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 7:21 pm

Yeah, this thread should sink.

Oh, wait...

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 1:07 am

Ditto!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 1:47 am

This thread was created before I even joined here.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 8:48 pm

What I find particularly offensive is people treat these books and other useless organizations as the holy book.

I've seen 1 st hand (twice) how damaging these "programs" can be. I said nothing as I was on disability/severely uneducated, they where middle class people/ privilege people ( think tv show 7th Heaven) so naturally they would not take any notice in what i had to say , can they not see the damage their doing ? and they say where blind ?

I loath conservatives and so should you (if your intelligent ) can be certain all our bullies are now the show jock radio jocks of this world and their listeners.

styphon
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jun 2011, 3:34 pm

My problem: Most autism books show only positive sides. Some of these books you'd think "Hey having high functioning autism is great!"