My problem with most of the Asperger's Syndrome books

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

vozamer
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Apr 2006, 6:50 am

As a parent I really liked Quirky Kids by by Perri Klass + Eileen Costello. There's a lot of emphasis on recognising "odd" behaviors as being OK while at the same time giving you strategies for addressing behaviors that could cause problems for your kid. It was much less about training your child to "fit in" than other books I've read.

Has anyone read A Positive Approach to Autism by Stella Waterhouse? I'm curious if it's any good.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2006, 7:16 pm

Whats up with The Luke Jackson book? I never heard of Him.

Florescent
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2006, 10:13 pm

Bull remember its a disability more than anything. Take a healther lifestyle really reduces symptoem for me. If f**k around too much I will die cause of final stage cancer. My AS symptoms get worse with bad lifestyle. I read up on these things and I see symptoms can be reduced by natural means. I got it all memorized

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2006, 7:02 am

KenM wrote:
Whats up with The Luke Jackson book?

That is what I was wondering about,I have the book and although I cannot relate to any of it,I don't have a set opinion [bad or good],what problems does others have with it?

Quote:
I never heard of Him

http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/hi/health/3106599.stm

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Florescent
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2006, 7:59 am

I know you don;t like my answer. I don;t like health authorites answer either. Good mood helps make them things easier. Simple postive visualization exercises wil do this. My favorite, I like to imagine a feather tickling my back. You can make it sexual, as in pretend its the opposite sex doing it. It makes me high. Except you for who you are? I will take any chance I can get because its a disability more than anything.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2006, 11:25 am

Someone said that Temple Grandin and Liane Holliday Willey was all they'd found.

Here's a list of books by autistic people:

http://www.autistics.org/library/booklist.html

I still need to update it, so it's not nearly complete for the most recent books, but it's got most books on there.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2006, 4:40 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
KenM wrote:
Whats up with The Luke Jackson book?

That is what I was wondering about,I have the book and although I cannot relate to any of it,I don't have a set opinion [bad or good],what problems does others have with it?

Quote:
I never heard of Him

http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/hi/health/3106599.stm

After reading that link, I don't have a problem with Him. He sems to be accepting who he is and is fine with it, like me. So whats the big deal? I have no idea what he says in his book though.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2006, 5:12 pm

I met Luke Jackson a number of years back. Basically, what he says in his book doesn't ring true to me. I have reservations over whether he wrote the majority of it.

Florescent
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2006, 8:17 am

why would you want to accept a disablity? I would wait untill I maid an honest effort to improve myself. Then except whats left if any

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2006, 10:28 am

Tequila wrote:
I met Luke Jackson a number of years back. Basically, what he says in his book doesn't ring true to me. I have reservations over whether he wrote the majority of it.

What does 'doesn't ring true to me' mean?

What suspicions does self have about what he has said? I think it was mentioned in some places in the book that he was helped with various parts he did not have experience in.

Quote:
After reading that link, I don't have a problem with Him. He sems to be accepting who he is and is fine with it, like me. So whats the big deal? I have no idea what he says in his book though.

I agree Ken.
He wrote the book when he was 13 [I think?] it's more of a biography type book than a neutral guide to AS.

Quote:
why would you want to accept a disablity? I would wait untill I maid an honest effort to improve myself. Then except whats left if any

Not sure whether that was posted in the wrong thread or not but..
It depends on the persons' own opinion of what disability is,most people seem to use the medical model when referring to disability,as a result, people think disability automatically means they are limited without even trying.
Disability doesn't have to be a negative,treat it as a challenge- to be fought against.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2006, 11:54 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Tequila wrote:

What does 'doesn't ring true to me' mean?

What suspicions does self have about what he has said? I think it was mentioned in some places in the book that he was helped with various parts he did not have experience in.

What I mean is this: I think he had much more 'help' than he let on.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2006, 12:43 pm

Its not so much luke thats the problem, hes a sound fella

It is his mother whos suspect

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2006, 12:48 pm

Laz wrote:
It is his mother whos suspect

That's what I mean - I met her as well and thought she was very odd (worse than he was, anyway). I think his mother wrote most of the book and not him, or foisted her own opinions onto that book.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2006, 4:53 am

Florescent wrote:

To me, AS is only a disablity becuse OTHER PEOPLE ARE TELLING YOU THAT IS IS A DISABLITY. So we don't make small talk, we don't get some social cues. We are still people. Yes we have to make extra effert. But this goes back to why I started this post. I see alot NT's telling people with as "You are screwed up, you need to change." Why? If we are happy with who we are, and we learn to live with it, its not an issue.
I feel NT's are scared of us because we can cut through the BS without all the usless small talk, ect.. Thats why they said we are "disabled". We are more effecent.

Florescent
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2006, 7:27 am

I did state is it was basically a challege to faught against. The mind learns and adapts so social deficet may be reduced. It is really lazy if you don;t try, that is the most imp
ortant thing. I know of many treatments that could help an AS patrone. They work on me real well. I am going through one now. Makes me sick. Its a cleansing reaction. I will feal better 6:00pm with more energy and functional capacity. That is what usually happens. There is no reason to suffer or aleat try not to. You got to remember though I did say except what is left after a hard effort. Ken I am agreeing with you, Its just I would rather you try therapies. I really do hate to see you suffer. I am suffering to but it does get better I noticed that. In fact I have 2 more years untill I am cancer free by natural means, no chemo. I was supposed to die when I was 20, 1 year after diagnois. All by myself, mom left me after she got caught selling. Your suffering can be reduced. I would only except myself If I tried. You need to have the right mood for that effort. Try imagining a women is tickling your back with a feather. Be very imagative, see what she wear, smells in the room etc. Ken maybe she not even dressed. That makes doing healthy stuff easier for me and reduces AS symptoms for me.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2006, 4:15 pm

Florescent wrote:
Ken I am agreeing with you, Its just I would rather you try therapies. I really do hate to see you suffer.

Thank you, but I don't see myself as suffering. I am aware of it and I make best I can, but I feel the word disability or that I need help for it puts a bad label on people with AS. It is part of who I am, accept me for who I am, or move on, but do not try and change me into what NT's version of normal is.
I hope you find your peace as well.