Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2010, 5:12 pm

Some times when I'm really stressed I don't talk for a while. I find this very peaceful, and I've learned a little sign language to help my boyfriend understand me when I'm feeling this way. But I guess I feel a bit guilty when I do, because I can choose to talk when I want to, which I know is a lot better than some people have. I've spent years of my life talking, after all. I have some verbal co-ordination problems that can make things awkward, too. But some times I just feel like not talking to anyone at all, and just staying silent. I'm tempted to try not talking for a few days or so just to see how it changes things. I don't really interact with people much at the moment anyway.

Can anyone relate to this? I worry that I'm just being self-indulgent/depressed.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 5:19 pm

I like being alone from time to time, so I don't have to talk to people in real time, but I don't know if that's the same thing, that you're talking about.

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 5:23 pm

i've seen this topic increasingly in aspie/autie blogs, etc. i go through periods of completely not talking too, but only in cases of extreme shutdown. i don't know if it's more or a sensory issue for some (overhwelm) or more of a processing issue, or whether it varies. personally, i know i can't "shut up" once i get a keyboard in front of me--i write obsessively. but in public situations, i tend to be fairly quiet. it takes me a while to process what's going on around me and i'm also a little at a loss as to how to interpret some social rules. sometimes i find it easier to be quiet and just observe.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 6:47 pm

I have trouble speaking first thing in the morning, and I caint speak at all during a very bad meltdown. I could talk in the AM if I really wanted too, but it's painful. My throat gets dry while I sleep. So I've devised a series of grunts that Hubby knows, and we use the instant messenger on the comps.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 6:57 pm

I'm not in the spectrum and I do this sometimes. I'm normally very talkative. Mild levels of stress make me more talkative, but if it's extreme I clam up.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 7:00 pm

When i'm stressed, or sometimes just when i'm deep in thought, i don't talk much. I'll respond to people, but usually just with "yeah" or "no" or "i dunno" until they realize that they aren't going to get much of a response and stop talking to me.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 7:24 pm

i go almost nonverbal in certain stress situations, and sometimes when i walk into a new place. there's just no verbal thought.. it's the first thing to go.