Serious Aspie trait in a non-Aspie family member

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

S-P-M-E
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jun 2010, 6:15 pm

I was explaining to my uncle today about being an Aspie, and pointing out how many of my "odd" traits are in fact totally normal for Aspies. I was illustrating how these contributed to my extreme difficulties in getting a job (even during a booming economy), and he blurted out that HE had NEVER been hired for any job that he'd interviewed for, that all the jobs he'd ever had had been because someone he knew had brought him in where they worked. 8O

When I slapped my forehead and asked why he'd never said anything about this before, such as during the YEARS I spent unemployed and being rejected for job after job while being treated by my family as a worthless freak, when it would have greatly reduced the haranguing I was getting from them to have proof that someone could in fact be making a hard and honest effort and still not get hired, and been a huge comfort to me to know that I wasn't alone in having this bizarre problem, he said it wasn't anything he'd ever discussed with anyone. :wall:

Sorry for the venting... the point is that, current economic conditions aside, it's normal for everyone to have a job; even dumb, incompetent people with serious grooming issues can normally get hired somewhere, and the idea (in a solid economy) of a reasonably intelligent and articulate person being systematically unable to be hired for any job at any rate of pay is unimaginable to "normal" people. So, for my uncle, who is really quite an extraordinary man with no social problems, no "quirks," and no Aspie traits, to have whatever it is that WE have that prevents so many of us from getting hired is notable, I think.

He's a biological relative, so I can't help but think that, in the same way that several members of my family all have a crooked tooth in the exact same spot, he has some little piece of the "Aspie DNA" that I have, giving him this one glaring "abnormality."

Do any of your "normal" relatives have anything like this?

In a rational world, those who act in rational ways would be considered normal, and those who act in irrational ways that they somehow decided were "right" would be the freaks.