How Smart Are You Really? THE HARDEST PUZZLE IN THE WORLD

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 4:25 pm

reginaterrae wrote:
mjs82 wrote:
The puzzle is rewritten exactly as it is. One of you almost has the answer but has a made a mistaken final assumption.

The trick to the puzzle is to ignore the colours.

How ignore the colors, if colors are among the conditions of the puzzle? No two houses of the same color side by side, etc.

That's what makes it so hard. I ultimately couldn't solve it because I kept getting transcription errors on my map from losing track of whether the word "red" in my head referred to Mr. Red, red house, red car or Red Street and so on with all the colors.

Clearly there are people, such as posters here, who can keep track of all these people and houses and cars and streets and not mentally superimpose them even though they have the same name. I could see that the trick would be to try not to think of the colors as colors or I would superimpose them but this was a mental trick I could not pull off. Other posters can but not me and I guess not you either.

Ancient_Chaos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 7:56 pm

If it's too hard with the colors you could simply replace them with variables when solving then revert them.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 12:35 am

i still maintain without clarification, puzzle is unsolvable.

"Red street connects into Yellow street on the left hand side of Red" is a meaningless statement.

Mr. Red lives in a black house.
Mr. Burgundy also lives in a black house.
They live next door to one another.
But you state that no two houses of the same color are next to one another.

sure, they could live next door to one another in a duplex, but ..
no way of determining whether Mr. Orange lives anywhere at all.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 1:16 am

the question was how many houses away from mr pink is mr orange?
the streets are connected, so it must be a quadrilateral (or at least a bounded ) block.

since there is no criterion as to whether the question is referring to how many houses away he is in either a clockwise or counter clockwise direction, and there can be only one answer, then he must live 4 houses away, as that is the only number that is correct for any direction.

since he lives 4 houses away, then he must live on yellow street.

anyway i may have overlooked something but that is my answer

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2010, 1:44 am

Im thinking the anwser is something you almost have to guess so heres a few guesses.

Mr. Orange is Mr. Pink's dog. He lives in a dog house next to Mr. Pink.
Mr. Orange is in a jail/mental institution/rehap next to Mr.Pink and does not live in a house.
Mr. Orange is homeless and lives next to Mr.Pink in his car or trailer.
Mr. Pink killed Mr. Orange. He is buryed in his yard, next to his yard, in Mr. Pinks shed or Mr.Pink is a cannibal and ate him.
Mr. Orange is a frog/fish that lives in a pond.
Mr. Orange rents out Mr. Pinks shed.

I am thinking he does not live in a real house if he does not live with Mr. Pink
I am also thinking he lives on yellow street to throw people off because they know Mr. Pink lives on red street.
He could also live on an unmentioned street next to Mr.Pink on the other end of red street in another town with more streets but if that were true they would have gone out of the way in the car ride when they pass him or were coming home from work or something and going somewhere unmentioned.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 5:14 am

b9 wrote:
the question was how many houses away from mr pink is mr orange?
the streets are connected, so it must be a quadrilateral (or at least a bounded ) block.

since there is no criterion as to whether the question is referring to how many houses away he is in either a clockwise or counter clockwise direction, and there can be only one answer, then he must live 4 houses away, as that is the only number that is correct for any direction.

since he lives 4 houses away, then he must live on yellow street.

anyway i may have overlooked something but that is my answer

Sorry, this visualisation is incorrect.

There are only two streets in the town, Red Street and Yellow Street and Red street connects into Yellow street on the left hand side of Red

A clue:

It a 90 degree intersection with a vertical street and a horizontal street.

Ancient_Chaos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2010, 1:06 pm

I'm sure I'll have it if one thing can be clarified - what does "x houses down" mean; person a, 1, 2, 3, person b or person a, 1, 2, person b?

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 3:36 am

Ancient_Chaos wrote:
I'm sure I'll have it if one thing can be clarified - what does "x houses down" mean; person a, 1, 2, 3, person b or person a, 1, 2, person b?

the second one. I notice this puzzle is now on facebook too

reysha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2010, 7:26 am

red street connects to yellow street from the left so this connection is also a street
and there are only four houses on both streets and two houses on one side of a street.
so there 8 houses and 8 mr. red, blue, green, yellow, pink, burgandy, black and grey.
so probably mr orange lives in the intersecting street,
on yellow street's intersection with red street red lives.
while on the left side of red street pink lives so orange either lives with pink or red.
if he lives with pink he is 0 houses away from him again, 8 houses or maybe 7 away from him.
if he lives with red then he would be 0 houses away from him or again, 8 or[maybe 7] houses away from red

deadinhead
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 10:06 am

8O
I am of 99.999% of the population

COCONUT-MOON TURTLE!

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 11:15 pm

THE PUZZLE:

Mr Pink lives in a blue house three houses down from Mr Blue who lives in a green house. Mr Green lives in a brown house one street over from Mr Red who lives in a black house. Mr Grey lives in a grey house next door to Mr Pink and Mr Yellow who lives in a lime house. Mr Burgandy lives in a black house next door to Mr Red and Mr Black who lives in a yellow house next to Mr Brown. Mr Brown's house is also blue. Mr Burgandy carpools with Mr Grey who drives past Mr Orange on their way to pick up Mr Red. There are only two streets in the town, red and yellow Street and Red street connects into Yellow street on the left hand side of Red. No two houses of the same colour are next to one another. If there are four houses on both streets and only houses on one side of each street and Mr Pink lives on the end of Red street, then -

Okay. Mr. Pink is in the blue house 3 away from blue who lives in green... going from who is next to mr pink.

Okay. our options so far are: Grey in Grey, Pink in Blue , ? ? Blue in Green OR Pink in Blue Grey in Grey ? Blue in Green

Okay, so mr yellow is next to Mr grey. So that could now mean the order is this: Yellow in lime Grey in Grey, Pink in Blue , ? ? Blue in Green OR

Pink in Blue Grey in Grey Yellow in Lime Blue in Green

I've also taken out the irrelevant bits, like the car and street colors, and the fact that red and burgundy look similar.

Mr. Burgundy and Mr. red live on the same street as each other, in fact next door. Mr. Burgundy also lives next to mr black, who lives next to mr brown. mr. Green lives on a different street than them.

So for them, we could have Red in black Burgundy in Black, Black in Yellow, Brown in blue. OR Brown in Blue, Black in yellow, Burgundy in Black, Red in ?black.

But since mr grey and Mr. Burgundy drive past Mr. orange on the way to pick up mr red, that means there would have to be a house inbetween mr. red and mr. Burrgundy since they live next door to each other. So perhaps Mr. orange lives with one of them. It says "on their way" and on there way would only be past mr. Burgundy's house, they'd stop right at red. So Mr. orange Must live with mr Burgundy.

okay, going back to the beginning. Since pink lives at the end of the street, that means the order would be my second option, Pink in Blue Grey in Grey Yellow in Lime Blue in Green.

So for yellow street...okay it states Mr Green lives in a brown house. None of my options for yellow street show a brown house, nor for red street.

Pink in Blue Grey in Grey Yellow in Lime Blue in Green.

I think we have a problem. red and black can't live next to each other. the only way is if they live diagonally, like below. Green would make too many houses. so, going by that, it would probably be a dog house. So it means Green is a dog, and
XXX
X X if we fix this so that there is one house on each side connected to the street, we get this. So, going by that, if Pink is on red, then red
XXX would be on yellow street. which means green lives on pink. or perchance it might be an apartment complex. meaning red would live above or below orange.

so orange would be 2or 5 houses away depending upon direction. or for the apartment theory, he would live one away on one side, and 8 away on the other.

Okay. This has taken me over an hour. I'm off to find the solution and see how close I was. also, where *is* the answer?

Syrena
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2012, 5:57 am

well It doesn't tell us that Mr. Orange lives in a house... it doesn't tell us anything at all about him!! ! Except that he was driven pass by someone so it's impossible to tell?

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 6:57 am

I know that the thread title is sort of a joke, but this is a ludicrous suggestion for "hardest puzzle in the world". There are only finitely many possible answers. You could just write a computer program to check every possible answer and see if it works.

Truly difficult puzzles are infinite, not finite, and involve proving things, not checking them. For example, here is a (relatively simple) puzzle which is literally infinitely more difficult than the one in this thread:

Quote:
Prove that every integer greater than 1 can be written as the product of primes.

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jul 2012, 7:49 am

Why the hell do they need cars? They live in the smallest town in the world. :lol:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 11:35 am

...removed coarse reply

Last edited by b9 on 03 Jul 2012, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 11:48 pm

Quick question what makes you all think there are eight houses.