How were you born?
Caesarean 37%  37%  [ 39 ]
Normal Delivery 63%  63%  [ 66 ]
Total votes : 105

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 4:49 pm

I was born naturally and my mom had no painkillers. My sister, a month overdue, was also born naturally.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 4:50 pm

happymusic wrote:
I was born naturally and my mom had no painkillers. My sister, a month overdue, was also born naturally.

I had birth complications.

Do you think that it is because I have AS?

And, I was a fat little baby :D

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 5:37 pm

I don't know. I don't think that AS alone could cause complications. It seems that childbirth is such an ordeal that makes so many demands on the mother's body that there are many reasons for possible issues. I don't know, though. I have no idea what I'm talking about. :P

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 5:39 pm

I think I swallowed my mommy's vagina juices. Isn't that gross but cool?

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 5:45 pm

Ferdinand wrote:

:eew:

zenemu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jun 2010, 5:51 pm

The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, suggests that the possibility of abnormal migration of embryonic cells during fetal development is the cause of Aspergers Syndrome. These abnormal cells affects brain structure which then goes on to affect the neural pathways that control thought and behavior. This is thought to be a genetic phenomenon. If thats the case it is unlikely that the method of your birth had much if anything to do with your AS.

Zen

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 5:52 pm

Ferdinand wrote:

That is super cool. The coolest thing I can think of.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 7:52 pm

i heard it was problems with my birth. :oops:

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 7:59 pm

rmgh wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:

That should be in the Adult section.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 8:14 pm

My two Aspies were both born after prolonged inductions that failed leading to c-sections. I think the vast amounts of oxytocin and other medications given to me against my better judgement could well have increased my kids neurological challenges.

My third son was born at home, quite normally. It wasn't a very easy birth but there was nothing pathological going on, just a big head turned sunny side up (not pathalogical but hurts more and takes longer). He is the one who is not NT but nobody knows exactly what his classification would be. He didn't talk till he was five, but he was always very involved with everything going on and had good receptive language. Now he tests as being very unusual but not in the spectrum.

There is a lot of neuro-diversity in my family so I'm not thinking there was ever much of a chance of getting NT kids, but I think there are things that are worse than they might have been. The oxytocin is the thing I'm most suspicious of.

eb31
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2010, 9:39 pm

I was born naturally, but traumatically. Long labor, malpositioned, etc

My girls were both born via cesarean. I tried for natural births but its apparently frowned upon at the hospitals here.

My little one I believe to be on the spectrum.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 12:24 am

There is a lot of neuro-diversity in my family, and I am sorta one of the "dumb ones"of my family,,I was born a month late...(I was told)...and when I was born, I was underweight (5lbs)...There are lots of natural AS traits on my dad's side, and my mom was the middle child of her family,and the black sheep...one with the most Artistic and ASish traits.

Oh yeah...I was a forceps baby...the doc pulled me out quite quickly with forceps..it was easy because I was so small...Later. my mom tended to attribute my developmental issues and extreme migrane headaches and hypersensitivity to my forceps delivery/

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 12:31 am

rmgh wrote:
rmgh wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:

That should be in the Adult section.

I am underage, so I can't.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 12:50 am

I was born during a cesarean section also, & they found a tumor inside my moms tumor, with me, while they were taking me out. But, even wit those things, I don't think that caused me to develop an autism spectrum disorder. I do think I was most likely either born with it, or a seizure I had when I was three could have caused it, but I highly doubt it had anything to do with the cesarean section.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 12:54 am

A tumor IN your mom's tumor?

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 1:16 am

All my kids were normal births....I was normal, actually my mom nearly didnt get to the hospital with me. My 7 year old came out sunny side up and with his hand on his forehead. He was my fourth and the only one I had any pain meds for....I had a epidural and Im glad I did, didnt feel a darn thing. I had my two older girls at home with a midwife, very normal. My older son was born in a hospital and I was induced but it was a normal birth other than my nurse was a B***h. My youngest was born two weeks early (still not considered pre mature at that age of gestation) and she couldnt wait to come out. My crazy doctor thought I wasnt progressing fast enough (guess he wanted to go home) so he broke my water....not a good idea for a fifth baby. I went from a 3 to a 9 in 15 minutes and the poor nurse nearly had to deliver her.
I do notice that my kids with Autism and Asperger's have big heads....I do too! My 20 year old NT has a perfect little head....she can wear hats and everything :)!