New Age/Indigo/Crystal Children = Asperger Children?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Manolito_Mystiq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2010, 5:38 am

Hello everyone,

I'm still quite new here, so there may have been talk about this phenomenom of New Age Children. The thing is, one very spiritual person I know, who spiritually balances one's body (a spiritual therapist), always says I have an old soul, and that I'm most probably a New Age kid.
One of my singing teachers later confronted me with the term, saying, that the first time he gave me a lesson, he had that impression of me. He considers himself to ben an Indido, so it's not something he just came up with.

He also sent me this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26D-dFFt-6Y[/youtube]

I'm not saying any of this is true. I'm open to anything, though. I find it quite very coincidental that one says I probably have Asperger and the other, that I'm a Indigo child.
The video does mention that ADHD diagnosed children probably are New Age children.

Asperger is a form of autism and from what I understand ADHD seems to have a lot of similarities to autism.

I guess because we're all so smart here, this has been discussed already, so I'm sorry that I open up the discussion again.

Sincerely,

Mano

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2010, 7:03 am

Interesting thought

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 7:20 am

I am not really into new-age stuff. But something similar was said to me by a 'believer'. I had a personality / soul that left an extraordinary impression and that created instant trust with her. I was also really closed, because I was too different from the rest of the world and my soul was different.

Later I tried to get her statements about others, and she said nothing similar to others.

It was a bit strange and in some ways creepy.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 7:30 am

Hmmm. I find it strange that the video paints religion in such a negative light yet seems to want to convince us that the belief in "Indigo people" is entirely different. Seems like another form of religion to me. Also, I think religion is one place in which people can generally find a niche. If it weren't for my Christian upbringing, I would never have read the works of Julian of Norwich, Thomas Merton, and other Christian mystics and found my own gift of mysticism.

I guess I don't buy that there are some super-special people out there who are chosen to have superpowers and live on a higher plane -- and I've been diagnosed with ADHD myself. Frankly, this sounds a lot like my friend Julia (born in 1978), but she has never claimed to be able to read minds or to have had out-of-body experiences. (In fact, the one person I know who does have out-of-body experiences is devoutly Christian.) Julia, for the record, has never been part of the in crowd or followed flock mentality, so I'm sure she's not hiding some sort of unusual abilities. I think it is possible to simply be an unconventional person without subscribing to a belief in a higher order of human, better than us ordinary humans -- which the makers of this video seem to suggest Indigo children are.

Manolito_Mystiq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2010, 8:38 am

Yes. In ways it this term was a very good way to commercialize. Expensive workshops for 'indigo children'. As these New Age children are described as supernatural, parents who easily fall for that pay high to know if their child is special, or just send their kid to such workshops, because their believe of their child being special.

I'm not saying it's all bollocks. The problem with everything is that there are people who can benefit from it wrongly. I thought of bringing up this subject, because it seems like a spiritual description of the more scientifical Asperger approach.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 10:50 am

The Indigo Child description is so vague that it could match just about any child--any child at all, AS or not. It works a lot like horoscopes.

Now, if you want to believe in Indigo Children, that's your business; but do not use it as an excuse to say that AS is not real, or does not cause real problems; because it does, and kids with AS need extra help just the way dyslexic or deaf kids do.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jun 2010, 10:51 am

It rings all the wrong bells, or rather, it rings no bells. There's no sound of authenticity in it. Also it doesn't give any source for these ideas. The ideas feel hollow.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 11:24 am

I think that indigo kid stuff is overblown. There are some other theories and things that I think make more sense.

There is this whole thing about various intelligences that people have. It's a very interesting paradigm that I find very interesting as a teacher and also as a person interested in understanding other people.

Different researchers have broken up these "intelligences" into 7, 8 or 9 modes of learning and thinking. This model is being used quite commonly by teachers to try to reach all of their students, and is quite mainstream among educational researchers. Basically there are 9 basic ways that people learn. Most people are gifted in more than one of these areas, and each combination of gifts is unique and can lead to all sorts of abilities for the learner.

If lay terms the 9 styles are: Visual/Spatial, Auditory/Musical, Mathmatical/Logical, Natural, Spiritual/Existential, Kinetic (Kinestetic), Interpersonal, Intrapersonal, Linguistic/Language

Different people dice these up different ways and many leave off the Spiritual/Existential or group them into 7.

Someone who is really good at auditory and mathmatical stuff might be an incredible musical composer but do very poorly at school which tends to be heavily biased toward the linguistic learner. That's just one example. Most people have a few areas they are especially good at and a few areas they are weaker at.

I think a typical "Indigo Child" is probably someone who is heavily gifted in the Spiritual/Existential area. If they are an effective practitioner of a spiritual faith they may also be gifted in interpersonal or linguistic areas which allow them to understand and communicate with other people. If they have a more isolated kind of spirituality...thinking of the Oracle of Delphi, they may be more of an intrapersonal person. Through in an ASD and you could end up with some very "airy fairy" kinds of religious types (and I don't mean that in a bad way).

I think this is a much more common sense and well founded explanation of these kinds of gifts. Some people think Indigo Kids are somehow connected with Space Aliens and all sorts of stuff. That seems a bit far fetched to me. I think there may be other intelligent beings in our universe, but I just don't see why they'd choose that way to interface with us. It just sets off all the wrong buzzers and bells for me.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 11:57 am

Callista wrote:
The Indigo Child description is so vague that it could match just about any child--any child at all, AS or not. It works a lot like horoscopes.

Now, if you want to believe in Indigo Children, that's your business; but do not use it as an excuse to say that AS is not real, or does not cause real problems; because it does, and kids with AS need extra help just the way dyslexic or deaf kids do.

:thumright: Indeed. Everyone who feels 'different' wants to believe they (and/or their kids) are 'special'. When someone starts levitating and healing the terminally ill, I'm all ears - until then, if you're convinced AS is a gift and not a debilitating handicap, then you don't have AS.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 12:35 pm

I'm convinced it's both, actually. :)

Disability is not an inherently negative thing. It only becomes that if we judge people's worth by their abilities, and I don't think doing that makes much sense.

AS and other neurodiverse conditions are part of the world; we need the genetic diversity, the different perspectives. I almost think that people may be going for Indigo Child nonsense because they can't reconcile the idea that their child is special with the idea that disability is tragic. They're taking the wrong approach--they should be dropping the "tragic" part of the assumption, not the "disabled" part.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 1:44 pm

The majority of so called "indigo kids" get diagnosed with autism/AS/ADHD anyway. They might find the autie's quiet and mysterious nature to be a supernatural thing. I think it's utterly ridiculous myself but at the same time it's kind of nice to view your child as some magical/other worldly type of person as opposed to defective or whatever.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 1:55 pm

Callista wrote:
I almost think that people may be going for Indigo Child nonsense because they can't reconcile the idea that their child is special with the idea that disability is tragic. They're taking the wrong approach--they should be dropping the "tragic" part of the assumption, not the "disabled" part.

I agree.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 1:57 pm

I don't believe in New Age stuff and I have a sufficient grasp of evolution to realize that isn't how it works.

However, I do believe the world is changing (has always been changing, will always be changing) and I do believe we're different, not disabled, and have certain abilities beyond normal directly caused by our... whatever your dx is. So in that sense, I guess we could make the world a better place, or at least a different place. Maybe better. I guess I have to hold out that faith, that tomorrow will be better than today, that maybe if I work hard enough, tomorrow will come a little sooner.

But whether or not we're part of God's plan, we're seriously just people.

Willard, just following directly from the social handicap is the inability to follow a herd mentality and presumably a much-reduced susceptibility to mass hysteria. That alone could save your life. Anything with a clear and obvious potential to save my life is not just a debilitating handicap, even if it causes me a lot of difficulty. Besides, it's not that debilitating, either, unless you for some reason have to leave the house. :wink:

NOT A DOCTOR

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 2:21 pm

Claradoon wrote:
It rings all the wrong bells, or rather, it rings no bells. There's no sound of authenticity in it. Also it doesn't give any source for these ideas. The ideas feel hollow.

Apart from some kind of opiate comfort, I do not see any value whatsoever in this kind of ersatz religion.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 4:53 pm

If this wasn't such a load of utter and complete BS, i'd claim to be an indigo child.

Good description of me when it talks about the second phaze of the first group.
but.. so is what a fortune teller can tell most people.

There could be parts of this that could have some real value and validity though.
But you would have to dispense with all the divine s**t.

If one were to believe in "punctuated evolution" which to a point I do, then you might be able to see those on the spectrum as the next step in "trans human" evolution. However, if you really understand darwinianism then you'd discount this... however, it will provide an interested night's thinking.

Just remember, y'all, don't forget to psychically cleanse each glass of water you drink the way described in part 2.
:lmao:

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 7:11 pm

MONKEY wrote:
The majority of so called "indigo kids" get diagnosed with autism/AS/ADHD anyway. They might find the autie's quiet and mysterious nature to be a supernatural thing. I think it's utterly ridiculous myself but at the same time it's kind of nice to view your child as some magical/other worldly type of person as opposed to defective or whatever.

i read a book on indigo children and thought it was mostly bunk.

but yeah, i think everyone could benefit from seeing the magic in the neurodiverse. all you have to do is read a little about savants to recognize that there is something untapped in most people that is quite extraordinary. it would only make sense that most on the spectrum would have a little bit of something extraordinary going on, even if it's just heightened senses. you lose a little from column A, gain a little in column B. yes, it is also a disability; but seeing autism only in that way isn't very empowering, is it?

so i think the new-agers have a much better approach than the curebies even if it's a little misguided.