Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Pandoran-March
Raven
Raven

06 Jun 2010, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Measures are needed to stop brain scans being misused by courts, insurers and employers, experts have warned. Scans can show a person's reactions by demonstrating if certain areas of the brain "light-up". At least one US company is offering scans to employers recruiting staff...

Mr Schafer added there was also a chance employers could seek to use scans to test the honesty of an individual's CV - or by insurance companies...

But he warned MRI scans should not be used in this way: "The science isn't there." Joanna Wardlaw, professor of applied neuroimaging at the University of Edinburgh, said brain scans could show differences between groups who thought differently in a research setting.

Link

I think this is bad news. If this goes mainstream, employers will be able to spot people with neurological disorders almost instantly, and it'll be nearly impossible to prove discrimination.

Beyond that, it's currently unproven technology for the stuff they claim to use it for. Neurological disorders are easier to spot than people lying on their forms. (At least with a brain-scan.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 1:31 am

privacy and personal autonomy are headed towards the memory hole.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 2:48 am

Already many businesses make potential employees take psych exams when being considered for hiring. That rules a lot of us out because most spectrum people get really "scary" results on the MMPI (which is one of the tests businesses use.)

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 4:31 am

In a working career of over thirty years I have only ever been asked once to take a psychiatric test. I passed it and I agreed with the results which were shown to me. If a potential employer asked me to take an MRI scan before working for them I would look elsewhere for employment.

Vanilla_Slice

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 7:38 am

Pandoran-March wrote:
Link

I think this is bad news. If this goes mainstream, employers will be able to spot people with neurological disorders almost instantly, and it'll be nearly impossible to prove discrimination.

Beyond that, it's currently unproven technology for the stuff they claim to use it for. Neurological disorders are easier to spot than people lying on their forms. (At least with a brain-scan.)

Once this technology is wide spread it will be unstoppable.

Think of the plot of the movie -GATTICA-. The disenfranchised will have to form their own communities.

ruveyn

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 9:48 am

As things stand, each and every lie detector is reliably capable of detecting only one lie: the one where its makers claim it works.

The year is still young.

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2010, 12:36 pm

What I find even more frightening is that people are going to try to use it in criminal cases. DNA testing turned into a nightmare because of misapplication, misunderstanding, and bad quality control and now it looks like the same thing will be done with brain imaging.

It's such a shame science and technology are so easily usurped and abused.

Pseudonymous
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jun 2010, 3:31 pm

I was concerned until I saw that they were using MRI scans. There's no way I would pass a Voigt-Kampff test. But these claims are exaggerated, even for fMRI technology. I wouldn't want to work for a company that would waste time and money on something like this.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 11:05 pm

That's my worse nightmare come true.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 2:56 pm

Cuterebra wrote:
What I find even more frightening is that people are going to try to use it in criminal cases. DNA testing turned into a nightmare because of misapplication, misunderstanding, and bad quality control and now it looks like the same thing will be done with brain imaging.

It's such a shame science and technology are so easily usurped and abused.

It can't be helped. Anything that is useful is ab-useful.

ruveyn

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 7:09 pm

At least for now it sounds prohibitively expensive.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 5:14 pm

Oh horror ! Oh horror ! I think that the idea of brain scanning people against their will or as part of the interview process for a job is deeply disturbing.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.