Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Vivienne
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jun 2010, 11:52 pm

We live in a big city. I hate it, my mother hates it, my son (AS) hates it. I have decided to move about 1 1/2 hour north to a small town.
This means a change of schools, doctors, home, familiar kids (NT's might call them "friends", but we don't) etc etc.

Has anyone dealt with moving and adjusting their AS son/daughter to the change? I want to do the best I can to prepare him and make it all smooth.

Summer vacation itself is a big change - though my son hates school so he welcomes the break.

It's all new to me too.

Advice? Anyone?

"Be plain, good son, and homely in thy drift;
Riddling confession finds but riddling shrift"
~Shakespeare

PenguinMom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2010, 5:02 am

We are also moving from a big city to a small town.
I took my entire family (husband & kids) to the town for the job interview. Wouldn't take the job unless they liked the town.
Then I took the kids with us while we shopped for a house. Tried to make them feel that they were a part of the process.
We made the trip as fun as possible. We visted every playground within reasonable driving distance. We went to the library, the rec.center, and any other part of the town that would be essential to children's routines.
Right now my daughter is so excited, talking about her new house in the country! She will be very glad to leave the city.

I will read this post frequently looking for suggestions as to how to make the packing/moving/getting rid of old stuff go smoothly. I am in terror of the day I tell them it's time to sort out which toys/books will not be packed.

Pageognat
Raven
Raven

08 Jun 2010, 11:35 am

I am an Aspie, and have moved twice (Three times, actually, but one was when I was very young and don't remember it). The first time, my mom moved in with her boyfriend, and then they got married and we celebrated by getting a new house. Both times, I was happy about it. More of less like other Aspies, I like exploring new places. I must admit I have grown to dislike my current house more than my last house since I had more friends there. But there should be no more adjusting needed than for an NT.

Vivienne
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2010, 9:57 pm

PenguinMom:

I got my son into the "spirit of giving (away his toys)" by taking him to thrift shops and letting him pick out a toy(s) first.
Then, when it was time to clean house, I told him how whatever he gave away would go to some other little boy- who would be super-happy to get it.
Maybe he'd even been wishing for a toy just like it, but couldn't have it. And now, he'll have a chance to have one of his very own! And he'll be so happy and glad that you gave it away so he could have it to play with.

MUCH better than just letting it sit in your room, in a box, under a bed, where nobody's using it. Why not make some boy out there happy and give it to him??

My son took to that like a duck to water.

PS - I have no car. So most of those suggestions wouldn't work for me. I also have no husband. :P But thanks anyway!! I might be able to take him up on the train when the move day gets close..

"Be plain, good son, and homely in thy drift;
Riddling confession finds but riddling shrift"
~Shakespeare