Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 3:36 am

Why does everyone think Aspies don't get it? Is it because of the literal thinking aspect? I think that's just because Aspies like to take in information in a concise manner but I don't think it means that they can't understand sarcasm. I see a lot of dry humor on these boards, that's always been my kind of humor. If anything I am more in tune with offbeat humor and sarcasm and less in tune with conventional humor. Maybe people just think Aspies aren't humorous because they don't laugh at things that aren't funny.

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2010, 4:24 am

MotownDangerPants wrote:
Why does everyone think Aspies don't get it? Is it because of the literal thinking aspect? I think that's just because Aspies like to take in information in a concise manner but I don't think it means that they can't understand sarcasm. I see a lot of dry humor on these boards, that's always been my kind of humor. If anything I am more in tune with offbeat humor and sarcasm and less in tune with conventional humor. Maybe people just think Aspies aren't humorous because they don't laugh at things that aren't funny.

Occasionally I need more time than others to understand irony but I have no trouble with sarcasm. I don't know if I like sarcasm that much because it tends to be very harsh. I like absurd humor.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 5:07 am

I use sarcasm, myself. I recently went through a phase where I used it far too much. But, I still have a little trouble spotting it from others, sometimes. I understand it, though. Irony can get too complex for me. Depends what it is.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 5:12 am

Sarcasm isn't all that hard to learn. I think most of the Aspies who don't get it are probably young ones who will suss it out eventually.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 5:17 am

rmgh wrote:
I use sarcasm, myself. I recently went through a phase where I used it far too much.

There is a process by which sometimes people become experts in their own incompetence - most people know a time-management expert who knows all the organisational techniques ever invented, who is always late. I practice irony over and over, in all sorts of circumstances, without stopping to think. I would say that I have a really good mastery of how to create irony, and understand how it works. Mostly I can recognise and respond to irony correctly, but there are still some people (and a lot of strangers) with whom I don't get it, because I don't expect it and don't see their motive or humour.

Reckers
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jun 2010, 5:39 am

I get sarcasm. I sometimes get irony. Most of the time, I don't get puns.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 6:19 am

The thing with me, is that I'm a no-nonsense person, and I don't laugh at anything that I don't find funny. I don't even laugh at sexual jokes, or Austin Powers anymore, because I don't think that stuff is funny. I've picked up with my tastes and morals, where I've left off in 1996, when I was innocent and pure.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 6:36 am

Getting sarcasm is mostly about understanding the connotations of different tones of voice, which I think I'm fine at - I've made small mistakes with it before, but 98% of the time I have no problem.

And, yes, I'm sarcastic myself. It annoys my mum a lot. :lol:

Hidden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jun 2010, 8:06 am

90 % of the time I don't get sarcasm or irony. It's a language I don't understand.

funnymachine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2010, 11:15 am

I apparantly understand sarcasm most of the time

When I use sarcasm people end up angry with me or in tears

I assert therefore, I don't QUITE get it :twisted:

Join in the discussion http://aspietribe.com (mailing list)

newtybajootie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2010, 11:51 am

I am very good at sarcasm and have been most of my life--I grew up in a family where humor was highly prized and sarcasm was how most of us expressed it. I think the difference between me as an aspie and my NT relatives is that sometimes I don't see where the line is, when to cut the sarcasm. This was much worse as kid and often I would get in trouble for inappropriate humor much the same way that I've read other aspies had trouble with inappropriate reactions of other kinds.

Even today I can get myself in trouble with it, if I'm not careful. My humor has been described as being "as dry as the Sahara". And where other aspies may blurt out a brutally honest observation about a person or an event, I will often frame the same observation in the language of sarcasm--making it even more abrasive to others. One of my biggest challenges then hasn't been to "get" sarcasm, but to get when it's appropriate. I can almost always make people laugh...I have to work at not pissing them off.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 12:14 pm

I'm pretty sure I've always understood the concept of sarcasm and irony because like most people I use it myself.

Yet occasionally people will make a really dry, possibly sarcastic, remark and I'll have no idea whether they're serious or not. It can be tough to determine from context alone, especially with people I hardly know. It's a little worrisome to interpret something as a joke when there's the slightest possibility that they could actually be serious.

I also encounter the situation where someone tells a sarcastic joke that I don't find funny and they'll feel like they have to tell me "I was joking". People don't like getting zero feedback after they tell a joke. They at least expect a half-assed smile for acknowledgment. Anything less is awkward. I think what happens is I get so deeply engaged in whatever the topic of conversation is about that I completely miss those "this is time for some comic relief" moments and by the time I realize I failed to acknowledge their joke it's already too late.

funnymachine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2010, 1:05 pm

newtybajootie wrote:
I am very good at sarcasm and have been most of my life--I grew up in a family where humor was highly prized and sarcasm was how most of us expressed it. I think the difference between me as an aspie and my NT relatives is that sometimes I don't see where the line is, when to cut the sarcasm. This was much worse as kid and often I would get in trouble for inappropriate humor much the same way that I've read other aspies had trouble with inappropriate reactions of other kinds.

Even today I can get myself in trouble with it, if I'm not careful. My humor has been described as being "as dry as the Sahara". And where other aspies may blurt out a brutally honest observation about a person or an event, I will often frame the same observation in the language of sarcasm--making it even more abrasive to others. One of my biggest challenges then hasn't been to "get" sarcasm, but to get when it's appropriate. I can almost always make people laugh...I have to work at not pissing them off.

Really well articulated, that's what I was trying to say LOL.

Thanks.

You described my exact experience of it.

Mark.

Join in the discussion http://aspietribe.com (mailing list)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 10:17 pm

I get it. I just don't like it.