Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MechAnime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 5:28 pm

My hands are quite spastic: I flap (down by my sides, or held out at a 45º angle or in front of my face), I wring; rub them together really fast and hold them in odd postures. It's unconscious at first, but I usually catch myself. I also tap my fingers to an inner rhythm or to music. My hands won't keep still, really.

I full body rocked as a kid and into my early 30's. It actually caused some spinal damage from the repetitiveness. I find the flapping went up a lot since I made myself stop this behavior. Now, I usually sway lightly in my seat at times, or I'll be i.e., lying down and suddenly and briefly rock back and forth really hard. This usually occurs when I'm stressed, upset or just excited about something or music has grabbed me. I also pace (while flapping or wringing) a lot.

buriguri
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2010, 5:57 pm

I hand flap while pacing, but I think I only do this at home. Out in public I tap my fingers on my leg, or arm, or neck.

starkravingmadmommy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jun 2010, 10:11 am

My son flaps. A lot. He is four though, I don't know if that will start to go away as he becomes more socially aware? We used to have an occupational therapist that worked on a whole "clap, not flap" thing with him. Fail! LOL. He still flaps. We call it his "happy hands." One of my other kids has a whole repetive finger movement that she does when she's thinking, and my husband taps his foot. Because they're not on the spectrum (supposedly), it's just considered a "nervous habit." My opinion is that things are considered a nervous habit when they're not that noticeable and don't freak other people out. My son's flapping is noticeable and surprises other people, so it's a "spectrum" behavior.

jametto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2010, 10:47 am

MotownDangerPants wrote:
Is this considered to be more of an autistic thing than any other forms of stimming? It's the only thing I do but I don't hear others talk about it much, mostly just the rocking back and forth and foot tapping. It it considered extreme? I never do it in public, only in my house. This and pacing.

Maybe? I do it with my ring, middle and index fingers without even realising, they wave up and down amazingly fast.

Not many diseases have this as a symptom which narrows it down a bit.

Probably most famous disease that does have finger/hand flapping as a symptom would be mercury poisoning.
There's really no way to test for the mercury itself reliably, so get your glutathione levels tested (blood test).
If you have an odd gait/walk as well as hand flapping then that narrows it down a heap. I'd be confident you had mercury poisoning if you had both of these. (Another sign is red knuckles and ears which may sometimes appear). Tinnitus and vertigo may also may appear.

Glutathione is what flushes out mercury and other heavy metals from the body, studies have shown autistics have severely deficient glutathione levels.

So if you don't have this chemical mercury will build up in your tissues meaning there's no reliable way to test for it other than multiple biopsies.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 12:25 pm

This was one of the reasons people were so mean to me in school. I hate to even think about it.

starkravingmadmommy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jun 2010, 12:50 pm

TheHaywire, thanks for posting that. I have the feeling that my son's "happy hands" are adorable to us but will be a social problem in school.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 2:15 pm

I´ve never flapped or rocked either. My only stim was a vocal stim in which I pronounced words with very high or very low pitch. I stopped it when people said it was annoying and strange! I don´t miss it.

HikariOkami
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jun 2010, 10:10 pm

I like to rock a bit, and tap my fingers on hard things, but I like hand flapping best. My mom got me to stop doing it in public, but it really helps me calm down and feel good when I'm getting anxious. I need to stop rocking so much, it starts as swaying that can pass for normal, but soon it gets noticable.

BeautifulLoser
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jun 2010, 8:33 am

I tap my foot and like to rock back and forth. I try to not do the hand flap in public but I do it AlOT when I'm driving alone for some reason. I drive with my right hand up and when the music comes on, it's like I just can't help myself.

Solanum
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jun 2010, 4:11 pm

sylvr wrote:
Flapping is one of the 'classic' stims I read about to 'watch for' as a sign of autism. I don't really flap (unless perhaps I'm forgetting a word or something), I more make strange and sudden claw-shapes with my hand. And I rock a bit.

Claw-hands! I do that too, but I call it tai-chi hands. When my boyfriend sees me doing it, he pretends i'm a velociraptor (rawr). I sway and drag my finger-tips and toes over textured surfaces too. Fun.

starkravingmadmommy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jun 2010, 4:54 pm

The more I read the posts on here, the more I see behavior in the rest of my family (including me) that is spectrum-y. One of my daughters, who is NT, does a lot of finger-flicking and needs to run her hands over textured surfaces too. I asked my son's neurologist if that is what is meant by "broader autistic phenotype," and he agreed that in many families, there lots of family members with some autistic-type traits. The autistic chid in that family is "just the tallest mountain in a very large mountain range." I liked the analogy.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 5:55 pm

happymusic wrote:
Lene wrote:
Kind of fun aspie-spotting :P

Ooohh, the idea of being spotted really intimidates me! I don't know why, because I guess the potential spotter would be somewhat sympathetic...hopefully??

Oh yes! I do a bit of Aspie spotting, but it's only because I'd like to have more Aspie friends in my life.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 5:57 pm

I'm not an Aspie and I hand flap a little, not necessarily as a stim but if I'm trying to think of something or am very excited. I think of it as a girly thing, no offense to the guys who do it.

My eldest Aspie son is a rocker and chews on everything. I'm going to try to make him some chewelry that looks manly.

Middle Aspie son does chicken wing arms, and toe walks, and does this thing with his ear and thumb.

starkravingmadmommy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jun 2010, 6:13 pm

Another follow-up. I just realized my (supposedly NT) daughter also does the claw-hands thing. It's fascinating because it seems like it takes so much muscle strength to do it, and yet she has a fine motor skill delay.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 8:12 pm

I tend to do hand-flapping from time to time but, it's not as frequent as when I was a kid though..

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 9:46 pm

I don't do that. I push the ring on my finger up and down, tap my fingers on things and rock my leg back and forth. I never noticed these were stims until recently.