RDOS test really accurate at detecting all types of ASD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

sgbuyers
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jun 2010, 3:48 am

Your Aspie score: 79 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 116 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical

I suspect that I got a little ASD, but a variant or maybe milder form.

For one, I'm very bad at remembering numbers or dates or names of people. So this is the exact opposite of ASD people. But I can remember faces of people, and even people I've seen 20 years ago or when I was a very small child.

TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2010, 4:24 am

the inherent problems with tests like these is psychological benchmarks and assessments are really only valuable when they are performed by an examiner. you asking yourself if you are this way or that way often gets a different result because of your perspective and how your experience and psychology color your self opinion rather than a professional working with you to get the answer for any specific criteria or underlying evidence of any sort of condition or wiring. Also as autism is a very wide and varying spectrum there are tons of people outside the diagnosable range all along the gradient of traits.

poppyx
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jun 2010, 8:08 am

I agree with the poster above--self-reporting, and your environment, can really skew the test.

I'm an NT, and the only reason I don't score as AS, (and I'm close) after years of being with an aspie, is that I'm also off the charts on the empathy scale. (Surprising as that may be to some here.)

The only way I'm really sure that I'm not AS is that I got a preliminary evaluation from a professional.

I don't know that you need full-blown psych testing, but you should probably at least talk to someone who would know, professionally.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 2:50 pm

sgbuyers wrote:

I suspect that the RDOS Aspie quiz is not accurate, but I have never seen any studies of any kind involving it. As it stands, it is a fun test that seems to be developed with direct experience of Asperger's, but has no established validity.

There are some validated scientific tests (such as the AQ) in the sticky post at the top of the forum.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 3:04 pm

I know that RDOS himself is an aspie and he has gone to great lengths to make sure that the test is accurate. There are other online tests out there that you can take as well, but I have found that the RDOS test to be the most accurate.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 3:06 pm

StuartN wrote:
sgbuyers wrote:

StuartN wrote:
I suspect that the RDOS Aspie quiz is not accurate, but I have never seen any studies of any kind involving it. As it stands, it is a fun test that seems to be developed with direct experience of Asperger's, but has no established validity.

I dont know "its" hit rate for a diagnosis ,but I'd be curious to know.

If you go to the RDOS website you can see anecdotally that some score Aspie , but clearly are not.

And there are three here(that I know of), with a diagnosis, who clearly score in the neurotypical range on that test.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 4:44 am

Mdyar wrote:
And there are three here(that I know of), with a diagnosis, who clearly score in the neurotypical range on that test.

I am diagnosed and score well into the Aspie range, but I have seen that the test does not score high for some diagnosed people. Also, some members of my family who do not have ASD did it and scored in the Aspie range, when they score inside the non-Aspie range on validated tests like the AQ or ASDS. So I do not think it is accurate, either in sensitivity or specificity.

But some of the Aspie quiz questions (which seem motivated by someone with ASD) make good talking points, as do the neat graphic plots at the end.