Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 8:39 am

With respect to cognitive empathy (CE) versus emotional empathy (EE) and Asperger's, Autism, Williams syndrome, schizoid and antisocial personality disorder here's one view:

4 developmental empathy disorders:

1. CE deficit disorder (low CE ability combined with high EE sensitivity): autism
2. EE deficit disorder (low EE sensitivity combined with high CE ability): antisocial personality disorder
3. general empathy deficit disorder (low CE ability and low EE sensitivity): schizoid personality disorder ( (and some cases of autism spectrum disorder)
4. general empathy surfeit disorder (high CE ability and high EE sensitivity): Williams syndrome

http://cogprints.org/6799/1/TPRVol59No3-SMITH.pdf

So based on this scheme antisocial personality and Williams syndrome do have empathy characteristics opposite to some ASDs.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 10:21 am

Molecular_Biologist wrote:
alexptrans wrote:
If autism is black (or white, whatever) and NT is gray, then what's on the other end of the scale? Does the question even make sense? I mean, if there is (or was) a disorder or condition that's the opposite of autism, what would it be?

Yes. its called Williams Syndrome.

They are ultra social and are said to have a "cocktail party" personality, they hyper-focus on the person's eyes that they are talking to, their IQ tends to be below average, and are easily confused and intimidated by technology/science.

Oy - if that is so I actually think I know one.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 10:23 am

msitua?

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 10:46 am

Is there an opposite of autism? - Not sure if there is. Maybe a Japanese school teacher robot (2010) which appears to be very sociable with the students but the school teacher is only a robot (so it is not showing real emotions) but behavior which can make it appear to be a human being to some students?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 5:54 pm

It may be that the autism spectrum is the opposite of itsself. Anyone not wired normally is sorta lumped into the spctrum.
On another aspie website youll read a post by someone who "never liked TV cartoons even as a child" and the next day you read a post by someone who "still watch cartoons as an adult because theyre comforting". Youll hear about autistic children wrapped up in fantasy worlds, and you hear about autistic children who "cant grasp any abstract concept" and so on.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 6:13 pm

[quote="MrXxx"]Some pretty funny answers here. :lol:

But the short answer is "no." There is no real opposite if you consider "opposite" in it's dictionary sense, or as in "black and white" as you did.

That's about like asking, "Is there an opposite of jazz?" or, "Is there an opposite of the ocean?"

The opposite of cancer is anything and everything that isn't cancer, but knowing that doesn't help us understand its causes, find a cure, or help you cope with it.[/quote

To me the opposite of "ocean" is "desert".
And hypothetically there could be an opposite of "cancer". If you had tissue (like skin) that failed to heal after a wound that would be "the opposite of cancer" because cancer is unchecked growth by constantly reproducing cells- basically its constant healing when there is no wound.

Failure of cells to normally multiply would be the opposite condition (hemophilia is a kinda real existing example of that in which blood platelets failed to form scabs).

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 6:32 pm

William's Syndrome has been refered to as the oppisote of autism. Perhaps Down's Syndrome could be the opposite as well.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 6:49 pm

Kon wrote:
With respect to cognitive empathy (CE) versus emotional empathy (EE) and Asperger's, Autism, Williams syndrome, schizoid and antisocial personality disorder here's one view:

4 developmental empathy disorders:

1. CE deficit disorder (low CE ability combined with high EE sensitivity): autism
2. EE deficit disorder (low EE sensitivity combined with high CE ability): antisocial personality disorder
3. general empathy deficit disorder (low CE ability and low EE sensitivity): schizoid personality disorder ( (and some cases of autism spectrum disorder)
4. general empathy surfeit disorder (high CE ability and high EE sensitivity): Williams syndrome

http://cogprints.org/6799/1/TPRVol59No3-SMITH.pdf

So based on this scheme antisocial personality and Williams syndrome do have empathy characteristics opposite to some ASDs.

Interesting. Especially the first two.

Teebst
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Dec 2010, 5:20 pm

I read somewhere that sociopaths are our opposite because where we cannot accurately express the emotions we feel, sociopath are excellent at expressing emotions they do not actually feel. If that makes sense.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 7:59 am

Teebst wrote:
I read somewhere that sociopaths are our opposite because where we cannot accurately express the emotions we feel, sociopath are excellent at expressing emotions they do not actually feel. If that makes sense.

Makes alot of sense.

As a rule people on the spectrum are bad at manipulating others, which is what sociopaths are all about.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 2:06 pm

Sociopaths make great political leaders/politicians. I think many of them are sociopaths. They would devour us.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 3:25 pm

Kon wrote:
Sociopaths make great political leaders/politicians. I think many of them are sociopaths. They would devour us.

Great as in able to wield power or great as in good for the populace? It would seem that a true sociopath would only do for the population what was necessary to achieve his own goals.

A narcissist, on the other hand, might actively work towards maximizing adulation. This could benefit the masses.