Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 1:32 pm

If autism is black (or white, whatever) and NT is gray, then what's on the other end of the scale? Does the question even make sense? I mean, if there is (or was) a disorder or condition that's the opposite of autism, what would it be?

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 1:35 pm

Paris Hilton.

MechAnime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 1:40 pm

Well, according to Christopher Baddock, author of The Imprinted Brain, it's schizophrenia.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 1:42 pm

Jenny McCarthy.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 2:20 pm

Some pretty funny answers here. :lol:

But the short answer is "no." There is no real opposite if you consider "opposite" in it's dictionary sense, or as in "black and white" as you did.

That's about like asking, "Is there an opposite of jazz?" or, "Is there an opposite of the ocean?"

There are plenty of things that are different from Autism, or NOT Autism, but they aren't "opposite." Autism is a spectrum disorder, which means it presents itself in many different ways. The best way to envision the spectrum is as a portion of the rainbow. Pick any one color, and there will be an opposite to it somewhere else in the rainbow (a second color that if combined with the first color, will cancel each other out if one is filtered through the other). For example, if you pass red light through a green filter, you won't see any color (black). But if you combine red and green, it makes white. Neither black nor white are technically colors. One is the absence of all color while the other is the presence of all colors.

Autism, because it is a spectrum, is made up of a variety of colors but only among a narrow band of the rainbow. You might find an infinite variety of shades and colors within that band. The only thing you can really say for certain is that all colors outside the band, combined with all colors within the band, or the one filtered trough the other, will produce no color (either black or white).

So I guess we could say the opposite of Autism is "Anything that isn't Autism."

But that isn't a very useful statement.

The opposite of cancer is anything and everything that isn't cancer, but knowing that doesn't help us understand its causes, find a cure, or help you cope with it.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 2:54 pm

Counsellors, psychologists, therapists, all those other touchy-feely types with fake-science arts degrees.

And that "empath" woman from the regurgitated Start Trek series.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 2:58 pm

Oh. Damn.

Is this thread a joke, and I missed it? :roll:

If so, go figure... :lol:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2010, 3:06 pm

alexptrans wrote:
If autism is black (or white, whatever) and NT is gray, then what's on the other end of the scale? Does the question even make sense? I mean, if there is (or was) a disorder or condition that's the opposite of autism, what would it be?

Yes. its called Williams Syndrome.

They are ultra social and are said to have a "cocktail party" personality, they hyper-focus on the person's eyes that they are talking to, their IQ tends to be below average, and are easily confused and intimidated by technology/science.

MechAnime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 3:08 pm

I agree, MrXxx.

Christopher Baddock's "The Imprinted Brain" approaches autism and schizophrenia in a heavy black and white fashion. He explains his theory using a lot of stereotypical traits from both sides, and spends less time exploring the middle, although he acknowledges it briefly. (He also repeats himself to much, but that's an unrelated issue I have with his book.) Other than that, it's an interesting read, but disappointing overall.

Here's an excerpt from the introduction, which piqued my interest, but the theory fell flat in the end:

Quote:
In a similar kind of way, autistic deficits in key cognitive skills have revealed the basis of normal development and given us a unique and unexpected insight into the mind. Specific cognitive skills often missing or deficient in autism reveal how the normal mind works and explain both the social and cognitive difficulties of autistics. Thanks to these insights, the new theory proposes that the spectrum of autistic disorders is mirrored by a psychotic one, and that where autistics show deficits in mental development, psychotics show pathological over- growth: cancers of the mind, so to speak. And just like visual agnosia and optic ataxia, the contrasting deficits of autism and psychosis reveal two parallel cognitive systems that normally blend more or less perfectly, but expose their fundamental differences when one or the other disorder supervenes.

Just going by some thread topics that are common here, it's possible that if people here read The Imprinted Brain, a few might start thinking they have schizophrenia instead of autism, i.e., over-sensitivity/emotional = "over-mentalistic" thinking, aka schizophrenia. He consistently upholds the idea that autistic people think "mechanistically" too strongly to be as affected by what other people say to them, etc.

I read it over two months ago, but that's the gist of it.

Last edited by MechAnime on 19 Jun 2010, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 3:11 pm

I think that in a way there is:

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_Syndrome

Along with mental retardation, "most individuals with Williams Syndrome are highly verbal and overly sociable having what has been described as a 'cocktail party' type personality..........[because of changes in the amygdala, which controls fear] people with Williams Syndrome can so willingly talk to anyone, including strangers".

Ok, the "highly verbal" part isn't opposite. But the "cocktail party personality" and "overly sociable" and "willingly talk to anyone including strangers" makes this a syndrome that is arguably the exact opposite of Aspergers Syndrome.

edited to add; combine this with the description in Molecular Biologist's post and I think we have a solid winner for the exact opposite syndrome.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 3:13 pm

Molecular_Biologist wrote:
alexptrans wrote:

Yes. its called Williams Syndrome.

They are ultra social and are said to have a "cocktail party" personality, they hyper-focus on the person's eyes that they are talking to, their IQ tends to be below average, and are easily confused and intimidated by technology/science.

I'm surprised I didn't think of this! If one syndrome "had to be picked" to be called the opposite of Autism, William's syndrome certain fits the bill better than anything else. Just saw a show about both WS and AS not all that long ago. Can't believe I forgot about it!

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2010, 3:14 pm

Janissy wrote:

Along with mental retardation, "most individuals with Williams Syndrome are highly verbal and overly sociable having what has been described as a 'cocktail party' type personality..........[because of changes in the amygdala, which controls fear] people with Williams Syndrome can so willingly talk to anyone, including strangers".

As the man said, Paris Hilton.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 3:15 pm

Janissy wrote:

Ok, the "highly verbal" part isn't opposite. But the "cocktail party personality" and "overly sociable" and "willingly talk to anyone including strangers" makes this a syndrome that is arguably the exact opposite of Aspergers Syndrome.

edited to add; combine this with the description in Molecular Biologist's post and I think we have a solid winner for the exact opposite syndrome.

That makes three votes for WS! Do we have a winner? :D

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 3:33 pm

MrXxx wrote:

All right, case closed then! :D
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2010, 3:34 pm

"A Genetic Drive To Love, Yet Distanced By Differences"
by Alix Spiegel
NPR, Morning Edition, 3 May 2010
"People with Williams syndrome -- a rare genetic disorder with a variety of symptoms -- are known for being almost compulsively loving and trusting. The syndrome is often called the "anti-autism" because people with Williams, rather than isolating themselves from others, are hyper-social. Children with Williams, for example, often climb into cars with perfect strangers or tell random salespeople that they love them."

Full text and audio:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =126396171

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 3:36 pm

alexptrans wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

All right, case closed then! :D
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Whoa! That was quick! three votes and it's "case closed" already?

Gotta admit though "WS" as a candidate for opposite of AS is hard to argue with. :lol: As far as core attributes, I don't think you can get anymore opposite than that. :lol: