Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 3:36 pm

alexptrans wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

That makes three votes for WS! Do we have a winner? :D

All right, case closed then! :D
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Whoa! That was quick! three votes and it's "case closed" already?

Gotta admit though "WS" as a candidate for opposite of AS is hard to argue with. :lol: As far as core attributes, I don't think you can get anymore opposite than that. :lol:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 3:44 pm

What's the difference between me and you?

Pokemon!

Pokemon? Pokemon? Pokemon? Pokemon?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 5:11 pm

Actually, there is a condition call Williams Syndrome, that's the opposite of autism. People with Williams Syndrome are very social, and they talk nonstop to everybody that they see, and they thrive on social contact.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 5:14 pm

Borderline Personality Disorder, in which individuals are driven toward risky behavior and promiscuity. Rather the opposite of our needing routine. Except they also show black-and-white thinking.

I would say sociopaths, but they have executive function issues.

Down's Syndrome? It has a clear cause, and Downies tend to be ret*d.

...I'm going to stick with Borderline Personality Disorder as our opposite. Schizophrenia definitely isn't; there's just too much symptom overlap.

NOT A DOCTOR

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 7:37 pm

my cousin, same age as me, totally the opposite of AS... we've been compared by adults around us since infancy and we grew up together.

She is highly sociable since very young
she has this "magic" that makes everyone else love her
She' extremely good at social talking...so good that you don't feel it's "social talk", you feel whatever she say is genuinely from her heart.
Even tho you know whatever she said is fake, you still convince yourself that it's real
Although becoz of her that I have a rather traumatic childhood, but I still love her so much, just like all the other people around her do.

LancetChick
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2010, 7:53 pm

And here I thought living among NTs was bad enough. Imagine living among people with Williams Syndrome! Opening my car door and having a perfect stranger sitting in the passenger seat telling me they love me. This may be very insensitive (well, I'm sure it is), but I can't help but think of the zombies in Night of the Living Dead stumbling toward me with outstretched hands wanting to chat or tell me they love me... 8O

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 8:14 pm

Williams Syndrome is the opposite of Schizoid Personality Disorder, not of Autism: Autism is supposed to be an impairment in the social skills, not in social desire.

Quote:
But the "cocktail party personality" and "overly sociable" and "willingly talk to anyone including strangers" makes this a syndrome that is arguably the exact opposite of Aspergers Syndrome.

One of the classical symptoms of Asperger Syndrome (specially with childens) is to approach strangers in public and start talking to them about their special interests.

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2010, 8:43 pm

I know a little girl with Williams Syndrome and I actually think we have quite a lot in common. WS is not the opposite of ASD.
She loves to read, sticks to her routine, gets highly frustrated if something goes wrong, talks to random people about her interests, and always seems happy.
I'm not seeing all that much of a difference between us...

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 9:02 pm

A lot of us on the spectrum also feel a reduced desire for social contact. If we didn't, we'd probably fare even worse. (Not that I'm denying the existence of those on the spectrum who do desire and have friends. I have friends myself, about four that I've seen at least once in person, and more that I only know online. But the fact remains that I don't need them like the NTs need each other.)

NOT A DOCTOR

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2010, 9:14 pm

My little sister is the opposite of AS. She and I are polar opposites in almost every way. She is as uninterested in academic and scholarly persuits as I am social ones, but she is a social and empathetic genius. I had a band director once who was the same way. He was the best one I ever had. Like my sister, he was never very interested in academic subjects, but he used his social and empathetic gifts to work individually with each student and create a great band that almost everyone loved to be in. On second thought, his hearing is too good for him to be a perfect opposite of AS.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 9:22 pm

If it's a spectrum, then there must be another side. If NTs are analogously blue, aspies are perhaps orange, and classic auties are red, then what lies in the ultraviolet and beyond? I'm going to say chimps, baboons, and the like. If you don't read their signals and play by their social rules, they will eat your face! Even NTs need special training in order to semi-safely deal with them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/nyregion/17chimp.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ZlO76-BpA[/youtube]

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 10:57 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Borderline Personality Disorder, in which individuals are driven toward risky behavior and promiscuity. Rather the opposite of our needing routine.

Actually there can be quite a lot of overlapping symptoms between BPD and AS. Enough that someone with one is sometimes misdiagnosed with the other by an inexperienced doctor. People with BPD also have meltdowns similar to AS, though theirs are more often triggered by relationship problems rather than general anxiety or sensory issues. It also seems like both have more trouble controlling anger and dealing with things "not going their way" than the general population.

Quote:
Except they also show black-and-white thinking.

AS "black-and-white thinking" is very different from BPD "black-and-white thinking". AS can seem black-and-white because they are overly logical or miss social/emotional nuances. BPD black-and-white thinking is due to a psychological defense mechanism called "splitting". They view the world through the lens of thier own emotions which are often chaotic and inconsistent, thus people are either overly admired or intensely disliked, and sometimes their opinion of a specific person can change from one to the other with no regard to logic. In this regard BPD is sort-of opposite AS as people with AS are usually much more logical than emotional.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 3:31 am

Do you happen to have personal experience or something? :D Care to tell me more?

(Special interest of mine.)

NOT A DOCTOR

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 6:35 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Do you happen to have personal experience or something? :D Care to tell me more?

(Special interest of mine.)

Me?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 7:21 am

dyingofpoetry wrote:
Paris Hilton.

Definately.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 8:39 am

With respect to cognitive empathy (CE) versus emotional empathy (EE) and Asperger's, Autism, Williams syndrome, schizoid and antisocial personality disorder here's one view:

4 developmental empathy disorders:

1. CE deficit disorder (low CE ability combined with high EE sensitivity): autism
2. EE deficit disorder (low EE sensitivity combined with high CE ability): antisocial personality disorder
3. general empathy deficit disorder (low CE ability and low EE sensitivity): schizoid personality disorder ( (and some cases of autism spectrum disorder)
4. general empathy surfeit disorder (high CE ability and high EE sensitivity): Williams syndrome

http://cogprints.org/6799/1/TPRVol59No3-SMITH.pdf

So based on this scheme antisocial personality and Williams syndrome do have empathy characteristics opposite to some ASDs.