Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Kablam
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jun 2010, 9:12 pm

It is not like I have a problem making friends or keeping friends. I have a nice amount of friends. The problem is that recently I have moved with mom, but we don't get along at all. She has 2 other children and we don't have the same father so we don't really get along sometimes. I'm a freshman in college and I stay in my room a lot. My dad was wealthy and I have lived with him most of my life, but now I was forced to live with my mom when my dad was asked to leave the country. My mom lives in a really bad part of town and sometimes I am afraid to leave out. I just have a fear of being raped, no matter where I am. I don't know why. I don't trust men. So basically I stay in my room all day and I don't really talk to anyone in the house and I only go out for food. If i do go out of my room its with one of my old friends who have their own cars and have to drive thru the city and get me. I feel like they are better than me because they still have this lifestyle. My family says I'm anti-social because I stay in my room. The only time I leave is when my friends come to get me, but often times they don't because I live so far away. I don't have any friends where my mom lives and I'm afraid of all the people around. So the old lifestyle I had is gone. If i had the choice to go hang with my family or not. I would stay in my room.

Mutt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jun 2010, 9:45 pm

It's the same with me. I have no one to meet, and I prefer being in my room. So, it's where I spend most of my day, only coming out to eat, and to go to sports, or Calculus class. For anything else, I'm in my room, behind a closed door. My family says I'm antisocial, but I really wouldn't have it any other way. I'd say, maybe it's because I feel safe, no change, no sounds, no distractions from outside, locked up in my room, doing what I like to do, without anything really changing. : :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 9:48 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 9:51 pm

Glad to meet you, Kablam - and welcome greetings to the WP forums.

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2010, 11:17 pm

Welcome to WP Kablam! When I lived with my family I stayed in my room most of the time as well, and have been called anti-social by my family frequently. I didn't have any friends in the area so the only time I would leave my room was to eat/drink or use the restroom.

My room has always been my sanctuary where I go to decompress, relax, and let the anxiety/stress of interacting with the outside world slowly slip away in my sweet, silent, solitude.

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2010, 11:30 pm

If you want to get out, but don't like your neighborhood, you can consider trying to leave your home to go to clubs or organizations that fit your interest during the day and/or make sure your parents know who is taking you and when and how you will come back. That's one good way to keep yourself more open but still as safe as possible. And sounds like you want to go in a big group of people (which is unlikely in your situation) or go by car.

Maybe community service is a good outlet to go for too. You're helping someone for free, and no one in the group is probably going to complain about free help if you try. Plus I think it's fun and it's something you can put on your resume!

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Jun 2010, 11:47 pm

There seems to be a lot of fear now in your life. That would be something to change, I think. I'm wondering about your father - were you happy living with him? Could you join him in whatever country he went to? And do your college there?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 2:56 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Plodda
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jun 2010, 12:17 pm

I know exactly how you feel mate. Whenever I'm at home I simply shut myself up and talk to no-one, save through the internet. Even when I'm in public places, such as my college, I try to secrete myself in the less visited hallsways during free periods. Welcome to WrongPlanet at any rate!

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 12:44 pm

Hello Kablam, welcome, enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jun 2010, 5:49 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image