Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

TallBen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jun 2010, 11:31 am

Not sure where to post this thread, so apologies to nay who feel it's in the wrong place...

Anyway, I was just wondering how mnay people here ever dance? Do you feel the urge or need to dance when you listen to music?

I have never, in my life, danced at all. I have no sense of rhythm (which obviously doesn't help), but I simply do not understand why anybody ever dances. What do they get from it?

With regard to me dancing (hah!)I have heard people say "Just move to the music", but this has no meaning for me - to me there is no physical expression to music. Heck, I don't even tap my foot; I love music, enjoy it enormously, but it's an internal thing and has no pysical movement attached to it as far as I am concerned.

Does anyone else here feel the same way at all?

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 1:34 pm

I do make movements to music, but it is not dance-like. I also don't ever do it around anyone else, I have a subconscious feeling of inappropriateness about it. What most people do doesn't seem like "moving to the music" at all, to me, and they would say the same of what I do. I like established dances (e.g. the tango), but the flailing or jumping the average person does seems ludicrous to me.

I have the "never do it in front of others" thing with many things, actually. People are a major buzz-kill, to me.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 2:56 pm

ooooh I love dancing. It makes me so happy. I studied ballet growing up and then traditional Hawaiian dancing, becoming a performer in my 20s. Dancing lifts my mood and hula makes everything seem beautiful to me - I feel sort of a euphoria for a while after. I also have lots of physical energy and have to get it out somehow. Dancing is more interesting than regular exercise.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 2:05 am

I feel exactly the same, TallBen. I have nothing against dancing, but I just don't enjoy it. What does bother me is how many people will sooner forgive murder than forgive you for not liking dancing.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

TallBen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jun 2010, 3:13 am

pbcoll wrote:
I feel exactly the same, TallBen. I have nothing against dancing, but I just don't enjoy it. What does bother me is how many people will sooner forgive murder than forgive you for not liking dancing.

Hah! Yes! Gad, even when I was a nipper at parties, all the other kids would be dancing (or being electrocuted, it's hard to tell the difference with five year olds) people would think I was weird and 'a bit wrong' because I didn't want to dance.

People really aren't very accepting of a few differences, are they? Even inconsequential ones...

TallBen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jun 2010, 3:15 am

Michael_Stuart wrote:
I have the "never do it in front of others" thing with many things, actually. People are a major buzz-kill, to me.

Yeah, I'm much the same, although find I care less the older I get, thank God.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 9:19 am

I love to dance, just don't expect me to do anything coordinated.

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jun 2010, 9:51 am

I like to dance and I'm very good at it. I have a strong sense of rhythm and musicality. It is a way to relieve tension for me. I also like to observe and mimic others and trying to get my body to move/contort like others are able to is something that I view as a unique and interesting challenge. If others don't like to dance I don't mind, because others aren't me.

"Power is the reason that we all are fighting for, control your body, your soul and heart. Yes- some of us who surrender are like lambs to the slaughter; get the power & try harder to reach the next stage."
-SMT III

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 10:43 am

I once played Dance! Dance! Revolution until 3am in the morning. Does that count?

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 12:14 am

I don't really know why I like dancing. I am not good at it, but I like the look on the face of my dance partner and I feel good moving. I am happy if I can finish without messing up. If I do mess up, I shrug it off and keep my embarrassment to myself. When my date was related to the band, we would go to the club and be the first couple on dance floor to get the evening started. I always felt successful when others joined us on the dance floor. Maybe it was pity? :oops:

Element333
Raven
Raven

26 Jun 2010, 12:28 am

TallBen wrote:
Not sure where to post this thread, so apologies to nay who feel it's in the wrong place...

Anyway, I was just wondering how mnay people here ever dance? Do you feel the urge or need to dance when you listen to music?

I have never, in my life, danced at all. I have no sense of rhythm (which obviously doesn't help), but I simply do not understand why anybody ever dances. What do they get from it?

With regard to me dancing (hah!)I have heard people say "Just move to the music", but this has no meaning for me - to me there is no physical expression to music. Heck, I don't even tap my foot; I love music, enjoy it enormously, but it's an internal thing and has no pysical movement attached to it as far as I am concerned.

Does anyone else here feel the same way at all?

I don't dance in front of other people. I do tap my feet and stuff when I hear music, and I'll dance when I'm all alone in the house. I'm a lousy dancer, though, and have been told so. When I was little, I once dreamed of being a ballerina, but as I grew older, I realized that I was far too uncoordinated for that sort of thing.

E333

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 11:48 pm

TallBen wrote:
pbcoll wrote:

Hah! Yes! Gad, even when I was a nipper at parties, all the other kids would be dancing (or being electrocuted, it's hard to tell the difference with five year olds) people would think I was weird and 'a bit wrong' because I didn't want to dance.

People really aren't very accepting of a few differences, are they? Even inconsequential ones...

But dancing is not seen like other differences; it seems the two things you're most not 'allowed' not to like are drinking and dancing. I drink, but I've seen how intolerant others are of people who simply don't like to drink. Not liking, say, strawberries can be tolerated, though most people like them, whereas most people seem incapable of even believing you might simply not like drinking or dancing, let alone forgiving you for it.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).