How to tell if a girl likes you.

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 5:36 am

After reading a lot of posts here, and other places in general, and doing a good bit of thinking, I've come to a conclusion I think I should share with men.

There is no sure fire way to tell if a girl likes you or not, unless she is the ambitious type like my sister who will chase after you and give you her number.

The problem with smiling and eye contact: Women may smile and make eyecontact to express interest in someone or smile to be socially polite, and the majority of the time she smiles and makes eye contact, it's to be socially polite.

The problem with not smiling or making eye contact: A woman may not smile and avoid eye contact to indicate she's not interested in you. But many women will also ignore a guy they like out of fear.

The problem with the hair flip: As I have previously said, 99% of the time the only purpose this serves is to get hair out of the way. I honestly wouldn't trust a woman who uses it as a pick up ploy anyway.

The fact of the matter:

Men, you must be brave. I recognize that on the inside, most men are just as emotionally vulnerable (maybe more so) as women. That is just part of being human.

The only sure way to know if a girl likes you or not is to get into a position where you can finally ask her out.

There are a few subtle indicators, however, which it might benefit you to be on the lookout for, which might help you determine if a girl likes you, but you will have to initiate some type of conversation first.

A girl who is not interested in you might be civil if you attempt to talk to you, but she'll generally say as little as possible, she'll use a fake polite tone, she might seem a bit impatient or pre-occupied, and she'll generally want to leave or get rid of you quickly. She will probably respond with "yep" a lot, and break her gaze from you to look around, or stare at you and nod more as she tries to communicate telepathically for you to go away.

A girl who may be interested in you as a friend will seem more relaxed, less impatient. She'll contribute more to the conversation, and she'll probably say something like "I"ll see you later" when she leave, indicating at the very least she was not horribly put off by you.

A girl who is interested in you is likely to seem nervous. However she's also more likely to stand there wide eyed rather than want to get away from you. She'll give you time to talk and when she talks to you she might talk faster than usual. She's more likely to get flustered than in the other two cases. Conversely a horribly shy girl might look down and be very quite, but still, she's less likely to be so eager to get away when you try to talk to her.

Now as a lot of you will have difficulty reading this level of subtlety, you are just going to have to accept the fact that you need to be more brave than NT guy. You are going to have to put yourself out there to as a girl out who may very well be giving you "go away" vibes that you can't pick up on. In most cases, if she's not interested and you ask her out, she'll just say say no, and she'll usually say it in a way like "Sorry, I can't, but thanks for asking me." She won't dwell on it, and neither should you.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 6:16 am

She's bouncing up and down on your balls?

Vindi
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2010, 6:42 am

Tequila wrote:

By then I imagine the majority of the ambiguity is already gone :P

Daemonic-Jackal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 7:00 am

Chronos wrote:
After reading a lot of posts here, and other places in general, and doing a good bit of thinking, I've come to a conclusion I think I should share with men.

There is no sure fire way to tell if a girl likes you or not, unless she is the ambitious type like my sister who will chase after you and give you her number.

The problem with smiling and eye contact: Women may smile and make eyecontact to express interest in someone or smile to be socially polite, and the majority of the time she smiles and makes eye contact, it's to be socially polite.

The problem with not smiling or making eye contact: A woman may not smile and avoid eye contact to indicate she's not interested in you. But many women will also ignore a guy they like out of fear.

The problem with the hair flip: As I have previously said, 99% of the time the only purpose this serves is to get hair out of the way. I honestly wouldn't trust a woman who uses it as a pick up ploy anyway.

The fact of the matter:

Men, you must be brave. I recognize that on the inside, most men are just as emotionally vulnerable (maybe more so) as women. That is just part of being human.

The only sure way to know if a girl likes you or not is to get into a position where you can finally ask her out.

There are a few subtle indicators, however, which it might benefit you to be on the lookout for, which might help you determine if a girl likes you, but you will have to initiate some type of conversation first.

A girl who is not interested in you might be civil if you attempt to talk to you, but she'll generally say as little as possible, she'll use a fake polite tone, she might seem a bit impatient or pre-occupied, and she'll generally want to leave or get rid of you quickly. She will probably respond with "yep" a lot, and break her gaze from you to look around, or stare at you and nod more as she tries to communicate telepathically for you to go away.

A girl who may be interested in you as a friend will seem more relaxed, less impatient. She'll contribute more to the conversation, and she'll probably say something like "I"ll see you later" when she leave, indicating at the very least she was not horribly put off by you.

A girl who is interested in you is likely to seem nervous. However she's also more likely to stand there wide eyed rather than want to get away from you. She'll give you time to talk and when she talks to you she might talk faster than usual. She's more likely to get flustered than in the other two cases. Conversely a horribly shy girl might look down and be very quite, but still, she's less likely to be so eager to get away when you try to talk to her.

Now as a lot of you will have difficulty reading this level of subtlety, you are just going to have to accept the fact that you need to be more brave than NT guy. You are going to have to put yourself out there to as a girl out who may very well be giving you "go away" vibes that you can't pick up on. In most cases, if she's not interested and you ask her out, she'll just say say no, and she'll usually say it in a way like "Sorry, I can't, but thanks for asking me." She won't dwell on it, and neither should you.

You try and be all condescending talking down to all the guys on here, and the same time you still expect them to do all the work and pick up on so called hints despite the fact you've also just said they are likely to be rejected anyway. No offense, but what was the point of making this thread in the first place? By the time you get to the end of your post, you've gone full circle and are basically saying even if a guy does take your advice, they are still essentially wasting their time.

If a girl likes a guy she could easily just admit it, that would save a lot of the hassle. Most women themselves don't even know what signals they are giving off half the time, so how are men suppose to guess correctly?

http://www.facebook.com/YentonianCarlos

Last edited by Daemonic-Jackal on 29 Jun 2010, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 8:15 am

Mind you, even after sex you can't really be sure she's interested - could be a rebound thing, or a call girl who hasn't sent you the bill yet.

Isn't the real problem here the sheer weight that we give to these matters? Like Chronos said, you shouldn't dwell on it. And if you don't, everything will get a lot easier. After all, it's only a date, people do that all the time for all kinds of reasons other than finding a partner. Would it have the same weight if it were just a couple of stamp collectors hoping to compare their collections?

Rationally, it's a small risk you're taking when you ask a lady out. The whole thing is couched in easy terms so as to prevent a refusal from seeming offensive. You ask her if she wants to go here or there with you, she replies that she's washing her hair, you agree to go out "some other time" and you quietly resign yourself to the fact that it'll probably never happen. You're right that Aspies are usually too socially blind to recognise the guesswork-removing signals. It doesn't help that so many Aspies are still waiting for their first romantic encounter - there's no experience to draw on.

But I think the weight is mostly there because of the strong emotional charge inherent in these situations, which is amplified further by the virgin's sense of desperation. I don't see there's much help for that. Experience helps but it's always likely that you'll go down the same sorry tunnel again, especially if you've been "out of it" socially for a while.

Anyway, it's an interesting question, how to tell if somebody is interested. In my case, I've noticed that an interested one will usually give me more attention than most people would under the same circumstances. She'll often give me a little bit more eye contact than usual....sometimes I'll catch her out of the corner of my eye, looking at me for a second or two while she thinks I'm not noticing. She'll be a little more receptive to me than I'm used to from most. If you find yourselves grinning at each other a lot for no apparent reason, that's a good sign. She might find your jokes a little funnier than you were expecting. She'll show a warmth towards you that's hard to analyze but you might sense it.

One thing I've known once, that helped to keep me from prematurely falling in love with one lady, was that there was a second lady who was also giving me some good attention......I was extremely lucky for that to happen, and the second lady served as a great balancing force - in fact I'd probably have been completely besotted with either one of them if there had only been one. I didn't see either of them as likely candidates for a strong relationship, though I was curious enough to want to know more about them. It was great - I was free to pursue my friendships with both of them without getting too obsessional about either one. Sometimes my feelings would flip onto one of them and then I'd make a bigger effort with the other one, to restore the balance. But things like that don't happen often, and of course I wouldn't have "two-timed" with them if one of them had become sexual (I never felt that was likely). As far as I know, neither of them wanted it to go further (though who knows with women?), and they never showed any indication of being jealous of each other.......I had plenty of time for both of them, and I always made sure I wasn't playing one off against the other.

For most practical purposes you're stuck with this big obsession which you just have to cope with as bravely as you can. :(

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 9:25 am

I've noticed that in addition to eye contact and smiles, a girl that has the hots for you has a tendency to act as though she needs to go pee really bad. I mean, she will still talk to you, but you'll see her shifting her weight from one leg to the other and things like that.

As far as dates, I tend to just ask girls out for casual spur of the moment things like "I'm going to get something to eat, do you want to come with me?" Or something like that. At least that way, neither one of you has to worry about being stood up or having to do any preparation. She will be the one that picks the restaurant and you should just go there without argument as long as it isn't too unreasonable.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 9:49 am

n4mwd wrote:
I've noticed that in addition to eye contact and smiles, a girl that has the hots for you has a tendency to act as though she needs to go pee really bad. I mean, she will still talk to you, but you'll see her shifting her weight from one leg to the other and things like that.

Thanks for telling me this! It's very much appreciated. ;)

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 10:49 am

Excellent post, Chronos. I could not have said it better myself, and I think we all appreciate the female viewpoint and insights into the secrets therein.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 3:26 pm

Chronos, you have pretty much hit the nail on the head concerning this one.

Gareth
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2010, 4:12 pm

n4mwd wrote:

As far as dates, I tend to just ask girls out for casual spur of the moment things like "I'm going to get something to eat, do you want to come with me?" Or something like that. At least that way, neither one of you has to worry about being stood up or having to do any preparation. She will be the one that picks the restaurant and you should just go there without argument as long as it isn't too unreasonable.

I'm the same. I ask casually [and nothing happens] and then leave it alone, trying not to feel too much about her. Best option really. I'll only cause myself grief if I dwell on the girl too much.

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2010, 6:33 pm

Daemonic-Jackal wrote:
Chronos wrote:
You try and be all condescending talking down to all the guys on here,

If a girl likes a guy she could easily just admit it, that would save a lot of the hassle.

I don't think there was any intent to be condescending. The point is that no matter how many times you say that you want women to be the ones to make a move, it isn't going to happen. Hopefully people who read these forums will have more understanding of each other - but women, in general, are not going to suddenly change their behaviour.
Chronos has suggested things which you guys can actually do to increase your chances. If that is viewed as condescending, then I guess we're all wasting our time trying to help.

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2010, 6:40 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Isn't the real problem here the sheer weight that we give to these matters? Like Chronos said, you shouldn't dwell on it. And if you don't, everything will get a lot easier. After all, it's only a date, people do that all the time for all kinds of reasons other than finding a partner. Would it have the same weight if it were just a couple of stamp collectors hoping to compare their collections?

Great point.

Quote:
If you find yourselves grinning at each other a lot for no apparent reason, that's a good sign. She might find your jokes a little funnier than you were expecting. She'll show a warmth towards you that's hard to analyze but you might sense it.

That's a good analysis, I think I have done that. I would guess that equates to "Hmm, he seems nice, I would like to see him again."

Daemonic-Jackal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 6:41 pm

ladyrain wrote:
Daemonic-Jackal wrote:
Chronos wrote:
You try and be all condescending talking down to all the guys on here,

If a girl likes a guy she could easily just admit it, that would save a lot of the hassle.

I don't think there was any intent to be condescending. The point is that no matter how many times you say that you want women to be the ones to make a move, it isn't going to happen. Hopefully people who read these forums will have more understanding of each other - but women, in general, are not going to suddenly change their behaviour.
Chronos has suggested things which you guys can actually do to increase your chances. If that is viewed as condescending, then I guess we're all wasting our time trying to help.

Well I'm sorry but that is how it comes across. Some of us have had relationships, some of us have one night stands, some of us have badly been f*cked over by women, some of us have experienced all three (I myself am one of those people) Yet threads like this tarnish us all with the same brush, like we are all completely innocent and have never done anything in our entire lives. We've got every right to be offended by this especially when people who post threads like this don't stop to bother and think that maybe we are not the ones with the problem. You've only quoted parts of my reply which suit you and have stuck to typical female bias.

Some of us don't actually need help, if Chronos or anyone else wants to help certain individuals then that's fine, I have no beef with that, just don't try push it onto all of us pretending like they know all the answers.

And like I said already Chronos' post goes back on itself and goes straight back to square one.

http://www.facebook.com/YentonianCarlos

Last edited by Daemonic-Jackal on 29 Jun 2010, 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 6:46 pm

She will come up with ways to be around you. If she could have done something in some other way somewhere else, but does not, that's a good sign. She will ask your advice about things.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 9:00 pm

Tequila wrote:

This could still be part of the decision making process. :lol:

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 12:07 am

happymusic wrote:
Tequila wrote:

This could still be part of the decision making process. :lol:
:lol: :lol: