Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chrishendrik
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2010, 10:01 pm

Once a neighbor put his hands on my shoulders from behind me, it scared me enough that I fell on the floor. I constantly get scared easily, always been really jumpy from touch or sounds. I went through a period years ago when people would poke me out of entertainment to watch me jump and I started to eventually jump like I would if someone was poking me if people were just around me. It got pretty bad like I had turret's. The thing that helped me in the end was going to a hypnotherapist. She helped me relax, made me a tape to listen to also. I was very wound up. So, is it common for someone with asperger's to be jumpy and ticklish like me? thanks.

labnjab
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2010, 10:20 pm

I am very ticklish especially my feet and I am and jumpy. If someone sneaks up on me I jump a foot. If a loud noise happens I jump a foot. I get scared easily too. So you are definitely not alone.

mpurcell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2010, 10:29 pm

I too am extremely jumpy and ticklish. My wife complains because "I can tickle her, but she can't tickle me back". If she tickles me even for the briefest of moments, I get extremely uncomfortable; I do not like it at all. Interestingly, I love that feeling when someone runs their finger down your back and it gives you chills, I always thought tickles and chills were related, guess not.
As to being jumpy, people constantly come up behind me at work and scare the expletive-deleted out of me. It's like a long running comedy at the office. People truly do try not to scare me sometimes, even to the point of just standing there quietly until I notice them, but even that scares me. However, one co-worker has decided all bets are off and makes a point to scare me at least once a week, hehe. Luckly people only need to bother me a couple of times a day, and they usually use email.

Chrishendrik
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2010, 10:32 pm

thanks. Sounds so familiar to myself. someone at work years ago kept poking me, wouldn't stop and said he was trying to help me but only made it worse. So, one time when he poked me I looked over and my hand was around his neck and I'm not sure if he did it again after that. I didn't even mean to do that. It can be kind of nice to have such fast reflexes but I'm not a ninja or anything anyway.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 10:57 pm

I am more ticklish, but a bit jumpy too. "Hyper-vigilant" is what they call it. When I was younger my mom would tickle me and the natural response was for me to laugh at first, but eventually I would do something like kick her in the chest. This made her super mad.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 11:41 pm

I'm quite ticklish! When I was younger my friends would make fun of me for it and tickcle me til I fell on the floor.

Now when I get a massage I have to tell the masseuse "Just don't touch my feet at all." And when the hairdresser gives me a massage (yes, they do this in Japan!) and hits my back I jump in the air :lol:

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 11:54 pm

I generally dislike being touched (mainly on skin) when I don't expect it, or don't know the person very well. Otherwise, it's not that bad.

But they do not have me

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 12:42 am

mpurcell wrote:
Interestingly, I love that feeling when someone runs their finger down your back and it gives you chills, I always thought tickles and chills were related, guess not.

Actually, they are. This just happens to be the only type you like/can tolerate.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Deidara
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2010, 1:19 am

My sides are ticklish. If someone pokes me there I jerk from my chair. The person responsible could expect a punch. Totally a reflex :D

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 1:40 am

I hate, hate, HATE being tickled! It makes me feel like I'm suffocating, and leaves me no choice but to swing my fists and elbows as hard as possible. I always warn people of this if they ever try to tickle me. I'm not a violent person, but if they persist, whatever happens to them is their own fault, haha. I'm often jumpy too, because of my nerves. I'm always working on that, and think I've gotten better in some ways. But NO tolerance for tickling, not now, not ever, haha.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 1:52 am

Xeno wrote:
I hate, hate, HATE being tickled! It makes me feel like I'm suffocating, and leaves me no choice but to swing my fists and elbows as hard as possible. I always warn people of this if they ever try to tickle me. I'm not a violent person, but if they persist, whatever happens to them is their own fault, haha. I'm often jumpy too, because of my nerves. I'm always working on that, and think I've gotten better in some ways. But NO tolerance for tickling, not now, not ever, haha.

I know the feeling all too well. I yelled at my ex-girlfriend constantly for this and she'd always be like "but I love to see you smile" and I'd just be like "do I look like I'm smiling now? I don't like being tickled so stop"

Crystallina
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jun 2010, 2:03 am

I can't bear being tickled. Like you, people seem to have picked up on it ever since I was young. The NTs find it amusing for some reason. One job I had a work person, who visited my department regularly, used to creep up behind me and tickle me to the point where I had to report him for harrassment as he would not stop despite my pleeding. A back problem means that every time I was made to jump I was at risk of hurting my back (I have 2 slipping disks).

I am extremely jumpy about people behind me in any situation. Queueing is very stressful for me. If someone stands too close behind me, and even worse if they hum or whistle or make some other sort of noise, I will end up leaving the queue. Can't tolerate it.

In my current job, I have a colleague who often stands behind my chair to see what I am doing if we are discussing it. I know it offends him when I get up and move but I just can't stay in that situation.

FTM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2010, 10:35 am

This is surprising for me, I always thought it was an aspie thing that I didn't jump. I can be alone in a room in the dark and someone can sneek up on me and shout in my ear but I don't jump. It became a challenge at work to make me jump, one even got me with a warning airhorn that's used on the London Underground, people around who new it was about to happen jumped but I just turned around and said "do you want me Dave". Touch me though and I'll go through the roof.

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2010, 10:37 am

When I was little I loved being tickled by my mom, now that I'm older I'm guessing it could have been a stim for me. However being touched unexpectedly is a different story...

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jun 2010, 10:49 am

100% ! !! !! !! ! I flinch and jump back if anyone reaches to pat me on the shoulder, or to hug. I hate hugs (except for those from my wife). I'm fairly strong, and I'm a fairly large-muscled bodybuilder... I'm always afraid I'll hurt somebody accidentally if they sneak up and touch me, as I have an INVOLUNTARY reflex to push away such invasions. I even have a MedicAlert bracelet in case I'm ever in need of rescuing or anything, warning that I might strike out if anyone tries to grab or pull me. I've accidentally elbowed a couple of people flat out on the floor for coming up to nudge me in cases such as to tell me I dropped something, etc. And I nearly laid out a policeman on Easter Sunday, after he had pulled us over for a mechanical problem. He went back to his car to write a fix-it ticket, and I was all busy talking with my wife, and I never saw him come back up to the driver's window. My arm flew out and whacked the door frame. Scared my wife, and the cop and me.

Charles

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 11:27 am

I'm very jumpy and ticklish, and the more anxious that I am, the more jumpy I get.