Need advice...perspective...Am I being used?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 9:46 pm

There is this girl in my advanced statistics course that I am taking this summer who was in my intro to research methods class last semester. Last semester she came up to me to ask for help with an assignment. I helped her, and she came up to me after class and talked to me every now and then for the rest of the semester. She asked for help a lot with course work and wanted to compare answers on our assignments for research methods. We took the same bus home and talked on the bus, but when it came to exchanging numbers and hanging out she seemed reluctant. I told her that I had done really well in intro to statistics (which we did not have together); I actually told her that I got the highest mark in the class on the final. When she found out that we would be taking advanced statistics together this semester, she got really exited. She then asked me to hang out with her (go out with her and her friends) but I said no, because I do not like going out with big groups of people who I don't know. I explained that to her. She wanted to hang out after stats class the first day and we did. She wanted to collect our assignments from RM. class, so we did. She did a lot worse than I did. She compared our answers to questions and was getting a bit angry that she had lost marks for this and that. I tried to offer explanations for why she could have lost marks and she got really mad at me for "defending the teacher". She has some mental health issues as well...she admits to having anxiety and I think she also has some anger issues). After that incident I decided to ignore her in the hopes that she would get the hint and leave me alone. I mind had suspected her of using me for help with work but didn't mind being used as her nerdy friend. However, after she got mad and yelled at me. I decided I did not want her in my life anymore.

Last class she came up to me and asked if I was pissed at her. She said she didn't want me to think she was using me. Then a couple minutes later (literally) she proceeded to ask me if she could pay me to tutor her in statistics because she wanted to be sure I didn't think she was using me. I said that sounded okay and asked her how many hours a week she wanted to meet. She said she only needed less than and hour right then to explain a few things. I said she didn't have to pay me for that. I explained a few things to her, and she kept offering me money (for that short time that I helped her. she offered me 20 bucks). She also kept reiterating that she was not using me. She offered me money to let her call me if she had questions. I said she didn't have to pay me for that either. This was yesterday morning, and she has already called me three times and left a message saying she needs help.

I am really bad at confronting people and telling them that I don't want to speak to them anymore, and at standing up for myself. However, her tone of voice when she said she wasn't "using me" and when she offered me money was a bit aggressive (I think), it almost felt like intimidation. That being said, I am not that great at discerning social cues, like tone of voice, and I may have mis-read her. Also, I do feel really bad for her because she tries really hard and does not do well in school...and as I said she has mental health issues. I also feel bad because she may have genuinely wanted to be my friend, (even if her motive for talking to me in the first place was to talk to the nerdy girl who will help her out). I cannot figure her out.

Am I a horrible person if I just ignore her? Am I a sucker if I do call her back and help her with stats? Our exam is on Tuesday (I should be studying), and I did say she could call. I would be breaking my word and letting someone down who needs help. On the other hand I have been used before and do not want to be used again. I also want her out of my life. What should I do?

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 9:50 pm

Sorry for the atrocious grammar. I did not have time to proofread the post. :roll:

Chantico
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jun 2010, 9:56 pm

Well, yes, she is using you as a tutor. She's not being dishonest about it though; she's even offered to pay you for your services.

If you want to continue being her tutor and not feel used, I would take her up on the $20 offer and come to an official arrangement whereby she pays you so much per tutorial. At least that way you get something for your time.

If you don't want anything to do with her, then say you are too busy to tutor and break off contact, but don't continue to tutor her for free and then complain about her being a user; you've put her in that awkward position by giving the impression that you are happy to tutor for free and don't want any reward for it. Since she needs help, of course she will avail of any available service, but it's clear that she is very incomfortable not paying you for your time.

Last edited by Chantico on 30 Jun 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 10:00 pm

Since you said you would help her this time, do so.

However, after this exam tell her that you don't have the time to give her the amount of help she seems to need. Suggest that she find a tutor.

If she persists and you still feel bad about this, start accepting payment from her. :wink:

Seriously, if you want her out of your life, sooner is always better than later. Even if she did want to be your friend for other reasons, if you don't want a relationship with her then that is your choice.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 10:17 pm

After the exam, try saying this:

"I hope that you do well on the exam. Unfortunately I need to concentrate on my own course load and some other personal stuff. I won't be available to help you with the coursework. If you need extra help - you might want to contact the prof or the department head for active tutors."

If she protests. Say, "I'm sorry that you feel that way" or "I'm sorry you are having a rough time, I know the course can be daunting." "However, I am simply not available any more."

If she continues to protest, say, "I understand that it is hard to find people that are good at this course, but I'm not available anymore."

At this point, excuse yourself from the situation with "I have to do some errands" or "I have to get to my next class" or "I have to get to another commitment" and "I'll see you in class" and remove yourself from this person's presence.

I hope that these words help. I tend to use quotes in my suggestions because I used to have trouble finding assertive, yet respectful words to use in situations. I'm actually pretty good at it now (took over 20 years of practice.... :lol:

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 10:40 pm

I would give back the money if she gave you any and tell her you would not feel right in tutoring her any longer because the exam is too important for both of you and the risk of misguiding anyone weighs too much on your conscience at the moment.

Please don't sacrifice your education because someone can't hack it. Suggest other tutors. They will end up taking the heat if she happens to fail again. Is that something you would rather deal with? I know too many who just because they aced high school come to realize college you actually have to think and end up failing miserably.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 11:08 pm

CanadianRose wrote:
After the exam, try saying this:

"I hope that you do well on the exam. Unfortunately I need to concentrate on my own course load and some other personal stuff. I won't be available to help you with the coursework. If you need extra help - you might want to contact the prof or the department head for active tutors."

If she protests. Say, "I'm sorry that you feel that way" or "I'm sorry you are having a rough time, I know the course can be daunting." "However, I am simply not available any more."

If she continues to protest, say, "I understand that it is hard to find people that are good at this course, but I'm not available anymore."

At this point, excuse yourself from the situation with "I have to do some errands" or "I have to get to my next class" or "I have to get to another commitment" and "I'll see you in class" and remove yourself from this person's presence.

That is very helpful. Maybe I write down those words and take them to school with me after this exam.=)

Thank you all for your advice. I will help her out for this exam and then try to be clear that I do not want to tutor her. That is only fair.

I hope that these words help. I tend to use quotes in my suggestions because I used to have trouble finding assertive, yet respectful words to use in situations. I'm actually pretty good at it now (took over 20 years of practice.... :lol:

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 11:26 pm

the quote I just posted.....I will use those words....that was very helpful Canadian Rose. Thank you.

Also thank you all for your advice. I will help her with this exam and then be clear that I do not want contact with her. It is only fair.