Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Where do you look when someone is talking to you, or you are watchng a character on TV or a movie?
I mostly watch the lips. 63%  63%  [ 32 ]
I mostly watch the eyes. 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
I sometimes watch the lips and sometimes watch the eyes. 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
I usually look elsewhere. 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 51

anjie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2010, 11:12 pm

Like with the lip reading thing I first started doing that just a few years ago (had no idea why) but have noticed the last few months I went back to focusing on eyes again! Any ideas on that one. Maybe shifting stress levels? Or am I just an extra strange aspie?

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 11:34 pm

I always look at the lips. I almost never make direct eye contact when in a conversation.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

anjie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jul 2010, 1:13 am

Yikes! well now I know what the deal is....I either stay away from group conversations,
spend half the time in confusion(smile, nod head act like I'm following) or ask redundant questions which probably irritate the speaker. "Clear the wax out of your ears one of my neighbor ribs me....It's embarrassing.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 2:12 am

Because you added television/movies to the poll, I can't vote. When watching tv/movies, I look at the mouth, or the eyes if it's a close up and they have pretty eyes. In real life I mostly look anywhere but at the person. All around the room, over their shoulder, at my hands, a fixed point on the wall etc. It makes me laugh when I look behind them and the person turns to look (I'm wondering why nobody ever mentioned to me that this was weird). I do look some people in the eye for brief moments, but only if I'm the one talking.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 2:36 am

Lips. I have an excuse though - deafness means that if my lipreading drops out I lose track of what's being said.

Isn't it odd, how often we have perfectly reasonable explanations for strange behavours.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 4:38 am

Poppycocteau wrote:
I once read an article in one of my mother's magazines, entitled 'How To Tell What He's Really Thinking'. It said that if a man watched your lips whilst you were talking to you, it meant he was attracted to you and was fantasising about kissing you.

:idea:

this explains a lot.

i do this as well (watch people's lips) and am often interpreted as having attraction toward or romantic intentions toward people when i have not even considered it.

tomboy4good wrote:
if they have some other feature that catches my eye...say a mole...I cannot divert my eyes from it. :oops:

gah - i do this too. :oops: :oops: