Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 4:19 pm

Whether it's you rent it out to someone or you live with that other person. How much do you charge that person. Mom doesn't think $705 (actually $645 I have to pay $60 for cell bill to parents) so is $645 enough? (On the main campus an ad for a roommate was $400 WAY out of my price range!! !) I was thinking more along the lines 1-200 (since I do have some bills I need to pay off. I know it all depends on the person etc. but wanted to get some ideas of what you pay/charge your roomie. :-)

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2010, 4:39 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Whether it's you rent it out to someone or you live with that other person. How much do you charge that person. Mom doesn't think $705 (actually $645 I have to pay $60 for cell bill to parents) so is $645 enough? (On the main campus an ad for a roommate was $400 WAY out of my price range!! !) I was thinking more along the lines 1-200 (since I do have some bills I need to pay off. I know it all depends on the person etc. but wanted to get some ideas of what you pay/charge your roomie. :-)

Could try looking on online prospectuses/websites of other colleges/unis to get an idea of how much it should cost to rent on campus.

Of course off campus its usually much cheaper. You could try looking for a 1bedroom flat, but if its your first experience of living alone i wouldn't advise it. Im not sure about ROOMates, but the cost of renting as a FLATmate can vary incredibly. I know its not much use, but over here i've found prices can vary between £215, to £425 depending on where u live.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 5:14 pm

I charged my kids $200 a month until I got tired of them and kicked them out.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 5:28 pm

Mudboy wrote:
I charged my kids $200 a month until I got tired of them and kicked them out.

Well 100-200 sounds ok (that'd be paying for TV service and Internet) or pay to take me places (pay half gas which would be $30) Of course pay for food from the store that I use and other needs. So 200 sounds good. :-)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 6:03 pm

It's been a long time since I had a roomate but I had many before I got married. Since then rates have gone up, but I doubt the protocols have changed.

The general protocol is to split the rent 50/50 unless one person has a significantly larger room than the other and then it's usually 60/40. Utilities also generally get split 50/50. What exactly that comes out to will depend on the going rents in your area. To share an aprtment with one person, you will generally be expected to pay 1/2 the rent. If you have 2 roomates it will be 1/3 of the rent. Unless you live in a place with very cheap rents, I doubt you will be able to find anything for 100-200$. Even that 400$ looked pretty cheap. Rents tend to be higher near college campuses. I went to college in the 80's and even then had to pay 300-500$ and I doubt prices have gone down since then. 645$/month is a likely figure.

The only people who charge 200$/month are parents who are charging their children. This is because they are actually subsidizing most of the cost of living there. Parents will subsidize out of love. But roomates won't.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 6:08 pm

Janissy wrote:
The only people who charge 200$/month are parents who are charging their children. This is because they are actually subsidizing most of the cost of living there. Parents will subsidize out of love. But roomates won't.
True. I am trying to get someone to rent one of my rooms and do cooking and cleaning so I can quit paying a maid service. Maid service is $200 a month so I would take that out of their rent ,and they could pay only $200 nstead of $400.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 7:35 pm

I only get $705 (it'd be $645 after paying parents for cell bill) So it would have to be for $645 and be $100-200 maybe I pay internet/cable or my gas back/forth to campus. I can't really afford anymore than that sadly. :-( (Plus I'm still paying my NY trip etc.) So I have bills aswell. :-)

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 8:09 pm

I agree, usually it's 50/50. You could also tally up how much everything cost, and deligate which bills go where. Like rent could be split 50/50, but then if the cable is the same as the gas bill, one pay one and the other pay the other lol

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 9:32 pm

I live in MS (one of the cheapest states, if not the cheapest, in the US) and I haven't seen anywhere with rent as cheap as 100-200 dollars. Maybe you can find somewhere that price though, who knows :) Someone said off-campus in cheaper...in the US on campus is cheaper. If you're set on living off-campus, you might have to do something like go without internet or cable (you can use internet at the library, if you live in student-based apartments they will have a study room with internet) and ride a bike to campus if it's close enough. And as you go on you can figure out what you can afford. Oh, and the more roommates you have, the cheaper it is. So if you live with like 3 other people it will be cheaper. If you can find someone to share a room with you that will help cost too. I used craigslist and facebook marketplace when looking for roommates, but I decided to live on campus instead.

That's great that you're moving out, I guess that means you can study what you want now? :thumright:

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 9:42 pm

astaut wrote:
I live in MS (one of the cheapest states, if not the cheapest, in the US) and I haven't seen anywhere with rent as cheap as 100-200 dollars. Maybe you can find somewhere that price though, who knows :) Someone said off-campus in cheaper...in the US on campus is cheaper. If you're set on living off-campus, you might have to do something like go without internet or cable (you can use internet at the library, if you live in student-based apartments they will have a study room with internet) and ride a bike to campus if it's close enough. And as you go on you can figure out what you can afford. Oh, and the more roommates you have, the cheaper it is. So if you live with like 3 other people it will be cheaper. If you can find someone to share a room with you that will help cost too. I used craigslist and facebook marketplace when looking for roommates, but I decided to live on campus instead.

That's great that you're moving out, I guess that means you can study what you want now? :thumright:

Thank You. Don't worry I still plan on studying Psychology it's still a high interest. :-)

wonders
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jul 2010, 9:49 pm

6 years ago in western washington I charged a room mate 300 , that included utilities also . He completely took over the common areas tho (front room ) and I asked him to leave a year later . good luck

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 2:29 pm

I couldn't cope with a room mate. Let alone live in a dorm full of overgrown children. I plan to stay with my parents and go to a local liberal arts college to get my accociate's and live in an apartment or rental home for my bachlor's and vet school.