10 ways to help your autistic child

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fi
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Mar 2011, 8:17 pm

Thank you so much,
NT parents like me really need to know things like that :) and yes my son wears earmuffs in church, and often he has a blanket over his head too! I can only imagine how painful it must be for him, all that noise, all those people looking and wanting to say hello.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 4:50 pm

Fi wrote:
Thank you so much,
NT parents like me really need to know things like that :) and yes my son wears earmuffs in church, and often he has a blanket over his head too! I can only imagine how painful it must be for him, all that noise, all those people looking and wanting to say hello.

Not to be rude but have you ever considered not making him go with you to church?

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 7:07 pm

I think this is great advice. Wish I'd come across it sooner, but better late than never. Thank you for sharing.

Fi
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2011, 3:36 am

Bombaloo wrote:
Fi wrote:
Thank you so much,

Not to be rude but have you ever considered not making him go with you to church?

yeah we do avoid taking him some weeks (he hasn't been for about 5 weeks, since starting school actually because I think he has a hard enough time holding himself together at school, I want weekends to be his peaceful zone-out time).
I wish I could take him to church tho as it's important for our family, and if ds needs to stay home it means I dont' get to go to church either, but hey that's life :)

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 11:35 pm

Souper Trouper...I couldn't agree with you more! You are SOOOOOO CORRECT!! ! Please do the world a favor and write this up on squidoo!! ! Please, with "autism awareness month" coming up, parents need to really see this...Everyone asks me how the heck my son has changed so much since his diagnosis...and I can honestly say that I have done many of the things you describe here, which of course, are against what many doctors will tell you to do...and I learned many of them through this forum.

Please, go to www.squidoo.com and write it up! You will be helping MANY parents! Bless you!

irishmom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Mar 2011, 3:58 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you......I could learn a lot from you.

connieapmag
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Sep 2016, 6:05 am

Thank you for these useful tips but it would have been better if you used the term "child with autism" or "child on the autism spectrum" to describe the condition of the child.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 4:37 pm

Not everyone in the autism community agrees with "person-first" language. I, for instance, prefer to think of myself as an "autistic person," as, obviously, does the original poster who labels herself that way.

Many of us who post in this forum are on the spectrum ourselves as well as parenting children on the spectrum, and understand there are differing ideas on descriptions of all kinds - and as long as those descriptors are coming from the community and are not being applied without their consent, I think we need to be considerate of their wishes.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 8:23 pm

It always throws me off when old threads get resurrected. I wonder how many of the posters are still around? Still, the tips were good ones then and are still good ones now.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 6:31 pm

I love this thread and try to bump it every so often. I started following SuperTrooper in other places, she's wonderful.