Whats the diffence between autistic dreams and NT dreams?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Corp900
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2010, 11:07 pm

My dreams make no sense, there is no laws of the universe in them.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2010, 11:11 pm

Corp900 wrote:
My dreams make no sense, there is no laws of the universe in them.

I think NTs and autistics have the same types of dreams, but when we wake up from them, we notice just how bizarre they are and we try to make sense of them; and when NTs wake up, they just assume that dreams are bizarre and drop it.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 12:50 am

NT's have the "American Dream", husband/wife, good job, white picket fence, several perfect kids. Autsitics dreams are less socialy oriented.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2010, 1:09 am

Essentially the part of our brain that tells us what IS and IS NOT possible goes on standby while we dream. I think its a region in the prefrontal cortex.

saintetienne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2010, 1:14 am

NT's don't have the imagination to dream

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2010, 1:16 am

There doesn't appear to be much of a difference.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 1:17 am

I wish I knew what you guys were on about. I don't dream, never have. I do 'daydream' a bit though, running through every possible scenario and coming up with solutions and points, but never once have I woken from a dream.

Even those 'daydreams' I have are far more logical though. They read like programming script, IF this THEN this. I just run through them until I find a few acceptable solutions, and file those for later use during a social interaction. Is this what you mean by dreaming?

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 1:24 am

You do dream; you just forget them when you wake. If you didn't have REM sleep, you would be in serious trouble, because REM sleep is quite important to the maintenance of your brain.

I tend to "wake up" inside dreams. That's what got me interested in them--I would realize that I was dreaming, and then start to take control of the world around me. I even used it to help conquer a long-term problem with nightmares by waking myself or changing them when they happened. Naturally, when you can explore your own dreams like that, you tend to become interested in the mechanics of sleep. :) (A caution, though, to those of you who have lucid dreams: Don't go and take control constantly; you won't sleep as deeply and will be tired in the morning. I learned that the hard way!)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 2:20 am

The difference between my dreams and other people's dreams is that mine will rarely make any sense to someone who isn't me. Dreaming is like a completely alternate universe. Something can make perfect sense in a dream but then when I wake up and think about it for a few seconds I realize it made no sense whatsoever. A lot of my dreams have a kind of "video game" feel to them, like I'm progressing through different stages and seeing different things. There isn't really a plot or emotional significance to them. Usually my dreams will incorporate something I've lately been thinking about in some surreal and nonsensical way.

Whenever I do have somewhat realistic dreams they're almost always anxiety dreams, or more like nightmares. I have a lot of thematically recurring dreams about my teeth falling out, parts of my body having to be amputated, etc... I always wake up feeling really icky from those.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 2:56 am

saintetienne wrote:
NT's don't have the imagination to dream

fail

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2010, 5:28 am

I remember my dreams in great detail, whereas a lot of people don't, but I don't think this is specifically an AS v NT thing. Although I suppose it's possible that people on the spectrum may be more likely to remember their dreams, due to sleeping more lightly or something.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 6:55 am

NTs dream about people and relationships, and autistics dream about objects pertaining to their special interests.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 7:04 am

Their dreams have a language, mine are silent.
I don't know much about NTs dreams, I've never been NT.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 7:15 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
NTs dream about people and relationships, and autistics dream about objects pertaining to their special interests.

That's what I think - all my dreams tend to be either completely about, or involve my special interests - and the people in them confuse me. I think one of the theories of dreams is that it's a mash-up of whatever you're thinking about the most, so that would make sense to me.

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jul 2010, 10:25 am

My dreams are very bizarre and off the wall. Descriptions that other people give of their "weirdest" dreams seem pretty mundane to me. Many of my dreams follow a storyline of sorts... though often I may wake before the conclusion, it seems like it was working toward a planned ending. In fact, my dreams can be so movie-like that I used to dream in third-person... I would see myself, and there would be cool camera angles and such. At some point in time, I transitioned to dreaming in first-person, which is how almost everyone dreams, apparently.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 3:28 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
NTs dream about people and relationships,.

You are correct about my (NT) dreams.

My dreams are densely populated with family, friends, coworkers, people I see in the neighborhood, downtown, in stores. People I used to know years ago. People I see on TV or movies. People I don't recognize at all and have no idea where my mind got them from. People from WP in the form of their avatars come to life.