Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2010, 1:33 pm

I'll be brief in this topic. Has anyone taken the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory test? If yes why did you take it and what was the result. I took it myself and the mathematic and psychological models behind it fascinates me.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 1:41 pm

Assembly wrote:
I'll be brief in this topic. Has anyone taken the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory test? If yes why did you take it and what was the result. I took it myself and the mathematic and psychological models behind it fascinates me.

I've taken it everytime i've had a neuropsychological evaluation and i've had six of them.

AFAIK....it's usually included on every neuropsychological evaluation. I will have to tell you about the results a bit later. I need to do some cleaning around here and I want to do that before the sun starts going down.

I'll share the results of my latest MMPI then. Don't ask me anything about the mathematical models behind it though....I know nothing of things like Statistics
and Probability and I suck at math in general.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 2:29 pm

I took it at the beginning of my Psychology of Personality course. If I can find the results form I'll let you guys know what my score was.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2010, 2:39 pm

I took mine due to concern regarding my mental health - I became very introverted first semester in college and only showed up for tests and basicly didn't speak to anyone. Part of the reason why I got interested in the test mechanism is because it's known to be rather hard to 'cheat' on and it's proven to be a good diagnostic tool. In my case I did fool the test because I had suicidal thoughts and severe depression and would have ended up in a mental hospital if I answered truthfully. Maybe this could have been for my better, but it would also have interfered with my studies. Instead I chose to go to a doctor whom I trust more who diagnosed me with depression and put me on cipralex. My MMPI only ended up showing minor social anxiety (which was far from true, I had severe social anxiety, severe depression and social phobia) so they asked to for permission to go trough my earlier mental health records. From this point on I knew that they were going to diagnose me with aspergers or autism which I was perfectly fine with other than the constant humiliation that I had to face.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 3:12 pm

I've taken it twice, once during a custody dispute and once when I was tested for AS. I had no reason to attempt to skew the results, but it seemed to me that anyone who wasn't batsh*t crazy could make the results of that test come out pretty much any way they wanted.

Some of those questions are downright stupid, UNLESS you really ARE both totally screwed up and so out of your head that you answer them honestly.

I mean, if you read a question like "I often think about killing people" and you answer that you DO, you're just asking to be institutionalized. If you check YES on that, you're clearly wacky - not just for having obsessive homicidal fantasies, but for being dumb enough to admit it on paper. :P

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2010, 3:56 pm

It actually does have some measurements to prevent people from skewing the results, which is both ironic and interesting at the same time. Researchers claim that it's fairly reliable, but it didn't really take much work to get the result I wanted, so I guess this is could be the case for anyone who's fairly sane.
Some of the questions are pretty straight forward, but the validity tests and diagnostic patterns is what fascinates me. I've tried to find a free copy of the test (and even better the program that comes with it). I expect to be a interest that will last for a few hours and then I will move on, hopefully I'll finish the e-book I dl'ed that describes the methods of measurements in greater detail by that time. The knowledge that this test is sometimes used on those who enter the medical profession where I live is also a concern of mine, because it could mean that I would be deemed unfit as a doctor or psychiatrist due to my lack of empathy, social introversion and social anxiety.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 4:09 pm

I had to take the MMPI about eight years ago when I was a vocational rehab client. I don't think that it determined anything helpful. At the very least, it was not instrumental in my finally receiving a correct diagnosis.

At that time, they still thought I had ADHD, or bipolar II, or OCD, or some such thing, and the MMPI was only used as a tool to prove what my doctor was determined to peg me with. Therein lies the problem with such tests: They only provide data. How the data is interpreted is up to the individual professional.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 4:09 pm

It said I'm highly anxious and otherwise I check out okay. No crazy thoughts or anything, and I didn't lie on the test. That's all they told me about me.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 4:23 pm

Assembly~

Here is what is said about my MMPI results on my latest neuropsychological evaluation

This evaluation was administered a little over a month ago by an actual neuropsychologist:

Personality Evaluation:

"The MMPI-2-RF was administered as an objective self-report measure of the patient's current emotional functioning.
On the validity scales, there was an exceptionally high elevation on R-F, which is suggestive of infrequent responses
and possibly an invalid profile. The other measures however were well within normal limits suggesting that a likely
valid profile was obtained. With regard to the higher order scales, there was an elevation on EID (T score of 86). This
suggests a significant amount of emotional distress without a thought disorder or behavioral disorder. With regard
to the restructured clinical scales, there were severe elevations on RCd and RC2 (T scores of 86 and 99 respectively).
There were also milder elevations on RC4 (T score of 70), RC6 (T score of 66), and RC7 (T score of 68). This profile
pattern is indicative of an individual who has an exceptionally poor view of self as well as substantial concerns about
physical, emotional and cognitive functioning. He may be somewhat alienated and isolated with a generally negative
view of himself and others. This MMPI seems consistent with his clinical presentation and reported behavior at home
and indicates an individual who is experiencing a marked mood disorder. He is clearly anxious about his condition. In
actuality, he is obsessed with regard to how he functions and problems that he perceives to face on a regular basis.

He does not seem to desire or seek out relationships with others. He is very involved with his own research. He
primarily engages in solitary activities other than communication with people through the internet. He has a
somewhat flat affect and even seems to some extent somewhat detached. He is not however psychotic."

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 4:28 pm

Horus wrote:
Assembly~

Here is what is said about my MMPI results on my latest neuropsychological evaluation

This evaluation was administered a little over a month ago by an actual neuropsychologist:

Personality Evaluation:

"The MMPI-2-RF was administered as an objective self-report measure of the patient's current emotional functioning.
On the validity scales, there was an exceptionally high elevation on R-F, which is suggestive of infrequent responses
and possibly an invalid profile. The other measures however were well within normal limits suggesting that a likely
valid profile was obtained. With regard to the higher order scales, there was an elevation on EID (T score of 86). This
suggests a significant amount of emotional distress without a thought disorder or behavioral disorder. With regard
to the restructured clinical scales, there were severe elevations on RCd and RC2 (T scores of 86 and 99 respectively).
There were also milder elevations on RC4 (T score of 70), RC6 (T score of 66), and RC7 (T score of 68). This profile
pattern is indicative of an individual who has an exceptionally poor view of self as well as substantial concerns about
physical, emotional and cognitive functioning. He may be somewhat alienated and isolated with a generally negative
view of himself and others. This MMPI seems consistent with his clinical presentation and reported behavior at home
and indicates an individual who is experiencing a marked mood disorder. He is clearly anxious about his condition. In
actuality, he is obsessed with regard to how he functions and problems that he perceives to face on a regular basis.

He does not seem to desire or seek out relationships with others. He is very involved with his own research. He
primarily engages in solitary activities other than communication with people through the internet. He has a
somewhat flat affect and even seems to some extent somewhat detached. He is not however psychotic."

Well, at least you're not psychotic!

I got that same good news.

Now, if only the report had mentioned something about Asperger's, I would have been saved another seven years of misery.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 4:44 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
Horus wrote:
Assembly~

Personality Evaluation:

Well, at least you're not psychotic!

I got that same good news.

Now, if only the report had mentioned something about Asperger's, I would same been saved another seven years of misery.

Nonetheless.... one psychologist I saw years ago and one psychiatrist I saw more recently claimed that I exhibit "psychotic
signs".

I don't quite remember what the psychologist was basing that claim on....that was over fifteen years ago. The psychiatrist seemed to be basing it on the panic attacks I was having at the time. I told her that it felt like electricity was running through my brain at times (among other physical sensations during my panic attacks) and ofcourse...the brain has no feeling.

But she interpreted these sensations as bodily illusions (and I suppose they could accurately be defined as such) and therefore, felt I was exhibiting "psychotic signs".

I have been Dx-ed with schizotypal personality disorder on four out of the six neuropsych evals i've had.

I was Dx-ed with schizoid personality disorder (with schizotypal and avoidant features) on the most recent evaluation I underwent about a month ago.

Some psychologists believe that both schizotypal and schizoid PD are on the schizophrenic "spectrum". So i'd say relatively brief
and mild psychotic symptoms common enough in people with these "Cluster A" personality disorders.

I am assuming the same thing is true for paranoid personality disorder...but i'm not entirely sure about that.

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2010, 5:16 pm

I'm actually a bit afraid of my mental health myself. Over the past 3 years I've become more and more introvert, had episodes of social isolation. I have exhibit some signs of psychosis like depression, flat affect, disrupted sleep patterns, distrust and paranoia (mild) but they can all explained by AS or enviromental factors. I've never heard voices, had manic episodes or had hallusinations, but my dreams are vivid, fast paced, multilayered (I comment on my dreams or dream that I just woke up from a dream, but in reality I'm still dreaming, I can have up to 3-4 'layers' of fake consciousness in my dreams and dream two dreams simultaniously) yet it feels so extremely real until I wake up and can apply logic to the situation. At the time taking the MMPI I had a recurring dream which I at first thought was a hallusination, it involved me having a epilepsy like attack like electricity running trough my body. In one of these episodes I 'woke up' and opened the window while having such an imagined attack then went back to bed to try sleeping. But in reality the window was never opened at all , and I dreamt that I had both these attacks, that I woke up from them and was awake while they happened. From several accounts I deduced that I was indeed asleep during these episodes and that it was a dream.
Yet these dreams where disturbing to the point where I would cry when I woke up. I no longer have these dreams as I am not socially isolated anymore, but they are nonetheless scary. It's like I'm fully awake observing my dreams and then commenting on them.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 2:59 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
I had to take the MMPI about eight years ago when I was a vocational rehab client. I don't think that it determined anything helpful. At the very least, it was not instrumental in my finally receiving a correct diagnosis.

I was told that the purpose of administering MMPI during the diagnostic process for AS, was merely to screen for any other pathology that might be present. Its just to make sure you don't have some other psychological impairment that might muddy the water, so to speak.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 3:04 pm

I took it years ago at the Department of Rehabilition. They gave me a battery of tests and the MMPI was in there (don't know if it was the entire test or just part). I was told I was slightly paranoid (but within range) and was lacking self confidence. The woman telling me the scores said everything was in range.
I thought the MMPI was fun and humorous. I was actually excited to see what was on it.