Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Galt1957
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2010, 10:26 pm

When I went to register for classes at my university (this being my first year), we were put into groups based on major and had a couple of staff there to help us. They explained what to do, but I didn't understand right away so one of the staff helped me a few times. So after I chose a few classes the lady comes over to me again and she's like, "Oh, I forgot I have to help you with everything." Does anyone else get this from people just because they don't understand how to do something right away?

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 10:38 pm

There was a special education aid in my regular ed. english class, and she kept asking me if I needed clarification every five minutes and I got really mad at her and then realized I needed the help :oops:

Galt1957
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2010, 11:41 pm

book_noodles wrote:
There was a special education aid in my regular ed. english class, and she kept asking me if I needed clarification every five minutes and I got really mad at her and then realized I needed the help :oops:
lol

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 11:58 pm

I deal with condescending people all of the time. What I really hate are the ones who are single who tell me how wonderful I am and yet will not even consider dating me or inviting me to gatherings or out with friends.

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2010, 2:05 am

I don't tolerate condescension, if I notice someone even starting to behave that way towards me I pour it on twice as strong and have never had any problem causing them to walk away feeling like a dumb ass.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 2:29 am

Variant wrote:
I don't tolerate condescension, if I notice someone even starting to behave that way towards me I pour it on twice as strong and have never had any problem causing them to walk away feeling like a dumb ass.

Turn about is fair play.
I work retail, so I have to learn to suck it up... the kinda "Thank you for callin' me an as*hole, have a nice day, come again soon" kinda attitude.

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2010, 4:56 am

Exclavius wrote:
Variant wrote:

Turn about is fair play.

Exactly.

Exclavius wrote:
I work retail, so I have to learn to suck it up... the kinda "Thank you for callin' me an as*hole, have a nice day, come again soon" kinda attitude.

I hate retail, those were the jobs I always ended up getting fired from the quickest. So many customers would complain that I wasn't chit chatting with them, then when I would try to they'd complain I was being weird. Either way I couldn't win.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 6:58 am

Variant wrote:

Yeah I always deliver it back to them. It is so funny watching them not being able to handle what they dish out.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 12:17 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
Variant wrote:

Yeah I always deliver it back to them. It is so funny watching them not being able to handle what they dish out.

And it's especially funny watching them being insulted by a person that they were just about to insult.

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2010, 1:49 pm

My NT sister and I are having an issue like this with our parents. Yesterday, when we went to a beach park with friends of ours, my sister complained to me about Mom and Dad referring to us as CHILDREN, even though we are both over 18.

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2010, 2:15 pm

Stereokid wrote:
My NT sister and I are having an issue like this with our parents. Yesterday, when we went to a beach park with friends of ours, my sister complained to me about Mom and Dad referring to us as CHILDREN, even though we are both over 18.

:lol: *chuckle*I'm sure your parents know full well that you are adults now, having been there at your birth and all.

But FYI - to them you will ALWAYS be their children, even when you are both creaky 50 year olds! Get used to it :D

manifoldrob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2010, 2:35 pm

Galt1957 wrote:
When I went to register for classes at my university (this being my first year), we were put into groups based on major and had a couple of staff there to help us. They explained what to do, but I didn't understand right away so one of the staff helped me a few times. So after I chose a few classes the lady comes over to me again and she's like, "Oh, I forgot I have to help you with everything." Does anyone else get this from people just because they don't understand how to do something right away?

I work at a university and being condescending to freshmen is a sport!

Seriously, the person who said that is just a jackass, choosing first year courses is very difficult for everyone. Try to mildly insult them if you can. Remember, you are going places, they are not. Ask them what kind of classes you'd need for their job. Of course, you will only think of the good insults long after the situation has passed.

People who work at universitys are just jerks. ;)

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 3:19 pm

manifoldrob wrote:
Galt1957 wrote:

I work at a university and being condescending to freshmen is a sport!

Seriously, the person who said that is just a jackass, choosing first year courses is very difficult for everyone. Try to mildly insult them if you can. Remember, you are going places, they are not. Ask them what kind of classes you'd need for their job. Of course, you will only think of the good insults long after the situation has passed.

People who work at universitys are just jerks. ;)

:lol:

My last job was at a university and you are so right, they are jerks!! The lecturers can be so condescending and patronizing. What they don't seem to grasp is that if there are no students, then their wages don't get paid, so really they should be nicer. And these people claim to be intelligent...

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2010, 3:40 pm

Fiz wrote:
My last job was at a university and you are so right, they are jerks!! The lecturers can be so condescending and patronizing. What they don't seem to grasp is that if there are no students, then their wages don't get paid, so really they should be nicer. And these people claim to be intelligent...

Unfortunately, intelligence does not always correspond with psychological maturity or health. Thus, there will be condescending a***holes in all of the professional environments, including academia. It comes as no surprise that there are egomaniac lecturers. I've had a couple, in my day and I've also had a lot of decent ones, a few excellent ones, some dull ones and one or two eccentrics.

Power players are everywhere. - In hospitals, In private industry, in schools, in government, in the arts....

The trick is the know when you are being power played and learn to deal with it in confident and effective manner. But, also to be able to tell the difference between that and someone merely being helpful or trying to teach you something (not being insecurely paranoid).