Do any one else feel that society wants you to be an Aspie?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

QuantumMechanic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2010, 9:21 pm

I often feel like society wants me to be an Aspie. At least in the stereotype of someone very technically competant, but not wanting to be involved in social circles. Like a good little robot purpose made to make the lives of the full humans easier. They want you to be technical and productive and achieve their goals for them, but have no concern of how you feel about it. No awareness that you feel unfullfilled as an individual. It happens frequently enough that I just want to stand up and scream out, "I am not a machine!" I know this just sounds like a job, but employers are the only ones that seem to have any interest in me. No one else seems to care and the employers only care about my technical skills and ability to think like a machine combined with human intelligence. It often makes me feel less than human. The only real bonding I have ever been able to do is over a shared difficulty (like introductory graduate courses).

I AM NOT A MACHINE!! !

Well, that feels a little better.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 9:53 pm

I felt my school counselour wanted me to be one. For example:

When I was 16, I bought a Game Boy Advance using up almost all my allowance. They were $79.99 then. I believe they dropped it ten dollars by then when I bought one in 2002. So I decided to sell my Game Boy Color for twenty bucks and I had a sign on my locker for it. My school counselor also saw it and asked me about it. He asked me what if some middle school kid came up to me and said he would like to buy it from me but he will give me the money when he has it. I told him I would wait till he has the money before I give it to him. But he kept asking me the same question over and over as if he wanted me to say "I would give it to him since he would pay me" so he said anyway if I gave him my Game Boy, I may never see him again. :roll:

It was as if he thought I would give it to him anyway so he was waiting for what he wanted to hear so he said his answer anyway to what he wanted me to have me say.

Last edited by League_Girl on 27 Jul 2010, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 9:55 pm

I think it's possible for society to try to squish you into an Aspie stereotype box, if it figures out it's impossible to squish you into an NT-stereotype box. But, while it may be a bit of a better fit, no stereotype can ever describe you completely. You're a person, not a blob of autism!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

eon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2010, 10:49 pm

I agree. All my coworkers think I am their friend because I am the one to ask when they have questions about something work related. They don't know anything about me nor make any attempt to do so. They just treat me like their own personal resource, CONSTANTLY interrupting my work and concentration to get my opinion on what they should do with [insert incredibly simple scenario that they could have easily solved by spending 1 minute searching resources they already have access to].

I have always battled with the the feeling of being mechanical and machine like and I have to agree with your outburst here.

I AM NOT A MACHINE.

Also thinking of the film network which I like very much.

'I'm a HUMAN BEING, Goddamnit! My life has VALUE!'
'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!'

ADHDer since 1990. Diagnosed Aspie 8/2010

Furantic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2010, 10:52 pm

I've been known to verbally b#$%@slap anyone who tries those stupid little mindtricks on me. I don't have to worry about it now as my medical records from my youth mysteriously went away.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 11:11 pm

League_Girl wrote:

When I was 16, I bought a Game Boy Advance using up almost all my allowance. They were $79.99 then. I believe thewy dropped it ten dollars by then when I bought one in 2002. So I decided to sell my Game Boy Color for twenty bucks and I had a sign on my locker for it. My school counselor also saw it and asked me about it. He asked me what if some middle school kid came up to me and said he would like to buy it from me but he will give me the money when he has it. I told him I would wait till he has the money before I give it to him. But he kept asking me the same question over and over as if he wanted me to say "I would give it to him since he would pay me" so he said anyway if I gave him my Game Boy, I may never see him again. :roll:

It was as if he thought I would give it to him anyway so he was waiting for what he wanted to hear so he said his answer anyway to what he wanted me to have me say.

Hah, that's hilarious. You should have gone meta and told him what he was doing. I like pointing out things like that, people don't know how to deal with it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 11:41 pm

KaiG wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

When I was 16, I bought a Game Boy Advance using up almost all my allowance. They were $79.99 then. I believe thewy dropped it ten dollars by then when I bought one in 2002. So I decided to sell my Game Boy Color for twenty bucks and I had a sign on my locker for it. My school counselor also saw it and asked me about it. He asked me what if some middle school kid came up to me and said he would like to buy it from me but he will give me the money when he has it. I told him I would wait till he has the money before I give it to him. But he kept asking me the same question over and over as if he wanted me to say "I would give it to him since he would pay me" so he said anyway if I gave him my Game Boy, I may never see him again. :roll:

Hah, that's hilarious. You should have gone meta and told him what he was doing. I like pointing out things like that, people don't know how to deal with it.

I never thought of it then. I do those things now like I say to my husband sometimes "You like finding things for me to blame things on such as my AS or me being pregnant." Now that I am pregnant again, hearing "That's your Asperger's" has been replaced with "You're acting very pregnant" or "That's part of being pregnant" and now he is saying again I should take pills for my anxiety and I tell him he wants me to be on them so things be easier for him and doesn't want to not do things that would cause my stress. I also tell him at least he has an excuse for me.

I think sometimes people are better off blaming things on something such as someone's condition or something else because it's easier for them to deal with it when they think that way such as instead of thinking their partner is being a jerk, they can just think
"Oh that's just the AS, he isn't being a jerk. He just doesn't understand."

bullyh8ter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2010, 11:53 pm

League_Girl wrote:

You probably deserved it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 12:09 am

I cannot discern the presence of any evidence that League_Girl deserved anything of the sort. I believe your logic is lacking.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

bullyh8ter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2010, 12:12 am

Callista wrote:
I cannot discern the presence of any evidence that League_Girl deserved anything of the sort. I believe your logic is lacking.

She makes fun of people who are suicidal and shows no remorse and then accuses others of being the bully. I say she deserves it and that my logic is correct.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 1:02 am

What does it matter if she does? Is a bad thing less bad because the person who suffers has caused suffering?

Do you want me to apply the same standard to you? No one is perfect. Bear in mind that someday, you may need something you haven't earned, either. Justice is impossible; mercy may just be attainable.

NOT A DOCTOR

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 1:03 am

DandelionFireworks wrote:
What does it matter if she does? Is a bad thing less bad because the person who suffers has caused suffering?

Do you want me to apply the same standard to you? No one is perfect. Bear in mind that someday, you may need something you haven't earned, either. Justice is impossible; mercy may just be attainable.

The only crime League_Girl did was living and learning. Anyway, on topic please.

bullyh8ter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2010, 1:13 am

I could just as well apply it to you you p**** sniffer. I never said I was and you are far from it too. Why don't you hook up?

bullyh8ter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2010, 1:14 am

Ferdinand wrote:

The only crime League_Girl did was living and learning. Anyway, on topic please.

Same as my above message.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 1:16 am

bullyh8ter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2010, 1:18 am

Ferdinand wrote:

can't see the message bro. try again.