Male Aspies: How did you meet your gf/wife?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

blahblah123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jul 2010, 11:02 pm

Good social skills are usually a must to be in relationship, so I'm just wondering how some of you socially-awkward male aspies met your partner. :scratch:

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 11:42 pm

Online. A random add on Myspace actually.
Talked back and forth for about a month, turns out that she had Aspergers too. Asked her out. Been dating long-distance going on about 7 or 8 months now. Except recently she found out she has stomach cancer...

JonSM99
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2010, 12:23 am

I'm 33 and have never had a girlfriend. Just diagnosed recently, but my therapist and child psychologist aunt say I have good social skills. I used to be very shy which I mostly overcame in 2004. I've always missed a lot of cues, signals, etc. Awful with body language and non-verbal communication. Anyway, I've tried literally almost everything I've ever heard of or had suggested to me (I keep a list of failed dating strategies). I've written opinion pieces on dating since college and had a blog for a while mainly on my inability to date. I've heard all the advice, which contradicts itself and is overwhelmingly intended for the giver more than the recipient. Until we survive to old age, men are basically extraneous; we're not needed. The therapist and aunt think I'll be able to have romantic relationships and marry; I'm far more skeptical. At this point my fallback plan is to become a college professor in my 40s where there are lots of cute 20 year olds looking for older men. Other than getting a dog or mail order bride, I've tried pretty much everything else.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 1:23 am

My gf and I met through the university's Anime club. We hit it off with a good friendship that eventually evolved into a romantic relationship. Of course, she is also an Aspie and shares many similarities and interests with me, so maybe not what you are thinking of?

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2010, 3:20 am

JonSM99 wrote:
At this point my fallback plan is to become a college professor in my 40s where there are lots of cute 20 year olds looking for older men.

I suggest finding another plan.

Older man can sometimes get younger woman, however if they are not extremely wealthy, they tend to be the kind of men who are charming and got all the hot chicks throughout high school, college, and the rest of their youth. Thats the way the world works.

You won't be getting wealthy as a professor either.

JonSM99
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2010, 5:09 am

I don't quite buy that, and I'm open to suggestions, but as I said, I've already tried almost everything and gotten nowhere. I don't see why anything else would work.

I know professors who make six figures.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

28 Jul 2010, 10:29 am

Seanmw wrote:
Talked back and forth for about a month, turns out that she had Aspergers too. Asked her out. Been dating long-distance going on about 7 or 8 months now. Except recently she found out she has stomach cancer...

I'm so sorry, Sean. You're in my thoughts.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 12:07 pm

Bethie wrote:
Seanmw wrote:

I'm so sorry, Sean. You're in my thoughts.
thanks bethie ((hugs))