Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2010, 8:11 am

I have bought some textbooks, some having to do with upcoming graduate study and I do regret that I didn't take a larger variety of classes in the last 2 yrs of undergrad.

I buy them used.

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2010, 8:15 am

vivinator wrote:
I have bought some textbooks, some having to do with upcoming graduate study and I do regret that I didn't take a larger variety of classes in the last 2 yrs of undergrad.

I buy them used.

I like reading university textbooks.
Sometimes I read a lot that's not on the syllabus

and I also keep my old university textbooks so I can read them when i have time

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2010, 8:18 am

SuSaNnA wrote:
vivinator wrote:

I buy them used.

I like reading university textbooks.
Sometimes I read a lot that's not on the syllabus

and I also keep my old university textbooks so I can read them when i have time

I actually bought Econ textbooks (my major) for Econ classes I had and hadn't taken due to the fact that I was embarrassed at not retaining info from my major.

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2010, 8:25 am

vivinator wrote:
[

I actually bought Econ textbooks (my major) for Econ classes I had and hadn't taken due to the fact that I was embarrassed at not retaining info from my major.

I wouldn't think that.
I enjoy reading the textbook and I don't care if the professor doesn't say anything about the chapters that he wasn't teaching.

LancetChick
Raven
Raven

29 Jul 2010, 9:00 am

I've got a huge Calculus book on my shelf, and I'm working my way through the problems in it to keep my mind sharp and entertained. Now that I'm middle-aged I have a lot more respect for the young me that took all those math courses in college. I realized back then in a Linear Algebra class that that math was never going to be my thing, but I'm very glad to have gotten as far as I did (Linear Algebra is a far cry from high school algebra). Who knows, when I finish this book I may move on to Differential Equations, which I remember as lots of fun.

ericfromcowtown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2010, 9:04 am

I take one or two correspondence classes per year, primarily to keep my brain sharp in middle age, but also because I like the routine. My wife hates it, though. I just finished an interesting one on the history of science.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 9:15 am

Yes, I do. They're some of the best kinds of books, IMO.

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 9:25 am

Yes, absolutely. I love buying textbooks about linguistics and biology. They are so much fun to read.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 9:29 am

Me! :D

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2010, 9:36 am

I don't read books much, but of all things, I've never been able to imagine myself reading a textbook from start to finish. When in a class, only bits and pieces are ever used.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 9:42 am

I wouldn't look in a college bookstore for cheap books (even used).

There are a lot of Dover reprints of old textbooks; depending on the subject, that is likely to be a much cheaper than a current college textbook. Whether this is helpful probably depends on the subject -- both how new it is and how fast it changes.

I've got at least a dozen Dover reprints of old math textbooks. They generally cost me something like $12-$15, which is a lot better than the $166 I paid for my used calculus book.

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2010, 9:52 am

When we go to used book sales I go right for the text books and usually walk away with a couple, may not read them all but am just drawn to them.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 10:52 am

I thought I might go for a degree in nuclear engineering after finishing my Ph.D., and this is something I am still considering. I bought 2 textbooks which are part of the standard reading for nuclear engineering students at the University of Michigan. So far I have read one of them, and I really liked it. I have started reading the other one, too.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 10:56 am

I once bought "Macroeconomics" by Rudiger Dornbusch and Stanley Fischer to read on the summer break but I never read it.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 12:17 pm

Most of my books are textbooks - I always loved getting textbooks in school and then got weird looks from other students for actually reading them.. now people just think I'm studying for a class.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 1:03 pm

I've bought some graduate level math texts that I'd like to work through. I haven't had the motivation to really get into math lately though. It can be a fun hobby for me but it takes a lot of concentration and effort.

Most people don't seem to understand that math can be like art and a proof can be a thing of beauty. Most people just see it as a bunch of incomprehensible symbolic gobble-dee-gook whose sole purpose for existing is to serve as an instrument of torture.