Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

DarkestShadow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2010, 3:00 pm

By what everyone says, he said found a cure that he said could turn us "normal"! He deserves to die a long, horrible, painful (And above all, bloody) death and burn in hell for the rest of eternity! :twisted:

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 3:12 pm

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
and look how he feeding these kids. wtf. :roll:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtRod0V57HU&feature=related[/youtube]

"Good girl." It's like he's teaching a dog.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 8:31 pm

I have never heard of this man before.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 9:00 am

I am just at the very beginning of this, but why is he talking to her that way, and giving her treats like an aminal?

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 10:51 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
I am just at the very beginning of this, but why is he talking to her that way, and giving her treats like an aminal?

We are NOT animals, doctor Psycho! (That Ivor guy IS a psycho...) We're people!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 6:08 pm

I'm glad he's dead! :twisted:

Sparx139
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2010, 1:29 am

Leekduck wrote:
are we celebrating someones death :?

this is often why i feel like leaving this forum

Amen to that. I can't judge this man any more than I can judge anyone else in this thread, but I will say that it is a sad thing that we are so caught up in what happened all those years ago. There's thousands of people who commit atrocities every day, I don't see how this one is special. If anything, it just seems to be feeding into the "us and them" mentality that is so prevalent here.

Not meaning to trivialize what this man did, but don't you think that it's time we moved on? Hatred is damaging, and refusing to let it go means that in death this man is causing just as much pain as he did in life.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:50 am

KissOfMarmaladeSky wrote:
ShadesOfMe wrote:

We are NOT animals, doctor Psycho! (That Ivor guy IS a psycho...) We're people!

Technically, we ARE animals.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 9:30 am

GRRRRRRRRRRRR. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

How would you feel if you HAD actually been taught ABA!! !???? Huh? Huh? Huh? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Lnb1771

17 Feb 2015, 2:14 am

mightyzebra wrote:
GRRRRRRRRRRRR. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

How would you feel if you HAD actually been taught ABA!! !???? Huh? Huh? Huh? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I actually was in Lovaas Young Autism Project (the study that claimed a 47% recovery rate). He claimed that some children can "recover" from autism, but he didn't say "cure" AFAIK. I don't feel bad about being in this study. However, he had stopped using adversives by the early 1970's when I was in his study. It was mostly verbal and M & M rewards.
Just my $.02
Lydia

jwfess
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2015, 12:51 pm

ducky9924 wrote:
It depends on the child. Each one's an indivudual, with their own personality and requires their own brand of disipline. It takes alot of trial and error on the parts of the parents. Some you can get away with just positive reinforcement. Some only react to negative. Some you can look at with a mad face and that's enough for them. Others require a sound whiping. And not all negative reinforcement has to be actual hitting. There is the corner, the "go to your room". The grounding. Extra choirs. If you're creative you can think up more. Like handing a kid a couple of thick books and having him hold them out to his sides for a long time. Still, no matter how creative you get, some kids will ONLY respond to a spanking.

If your goal is to raise someone who abuses others in relationships and thinks that violence is a good way to solve problems, corporal punishment is the way to go. I sincerely hope you do not have children.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 5:03 am

Early in the 1980s, I was in a lecture theatre where Lovaas was demonstrating his "skills" to a professional audience. With my own eyes, I saw him viciously assault on multiple occasions a 12 year old autistic boy for not looking him in the eye. There were about 200 witnesses to this.

Lovaas was a thug, who tried to reduce professional psychology with thuggery. He was a shameless egotistical bully who quite possibly had a cluster B personality disorder. I did not know of his demise though learning of it tonight came as a relief. The world is a better place without thugs like him, disguising themselves as "helpers" and "therapists". They are thugs, bullies and power trippers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 10:35 am

Four years and seven months to reply to a dead thread. This must be a new record, right?

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 12:19 pm

“With responsibility, the developmentally disabled individual takes on dignity and ‘acquires’ certain basic rights as a person. No one has the right to be taken care of, no matter how ret*d he is. So, put your child to work; his work is to learn.” --Lovaas

Regardless of one's feelings on modern ABA, it's hard to argue the guy was anything more than a monster.

Lnb1771

02 Mar 2015, 12:20 am

Yeah, that's my fault. I did a search for Lovaas and this ancient thread was pulled up.