Will women think you are creepy if you hit on them?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JohnisBlind
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 5:30 am

Is this one of the side effects of hitting on women? Inevitably some of them will regard you as "creepy"?

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 5:34 am

If you're not experienced in talking to women, you might have trouble expressing interest without making things unduly awkward. Some bad things include making eye contact for a long time without saying anything, talking about sexual things in front of the opposite sex (some people can pull this off but it is tricky), and being very forward very quickly. This is by no means an exhaustive list - young women are on the look-out for predators, and anyone who presents mixed signals in body language or a strange attitude towards women may show what to them are red flags. The issues these raise are amplified with women who don't really know you (as a friend, family member, or long-time colleague, say).

If you take certain precautionary measures, and become a good active listener and conversationalist (gradually, with practice), some women will still think of you as kind of creepy, but it would be saying more about them than about you.

Last edited by Hector on 05 Aug 2010, 5:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 5:40 am

Depends how you go about it, and if she's been sending you signals beforehand.

JohnisBlind
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 5:49 am

Hector wrote:
If you're not experienced in talking to women, you might have trouble expressing interest without making things unduly awkward. Some bad things include making eye contact for a long time without saying anything, talking about sexual things in front of the opposite sex (some people can pull this off but it is tricky), and being very forward very quickly. This is by no means an exhaustive list - young women are on the look-out for predators, and anyone who presents mixed signals in body language or a strange attitude towards women may show what to them are red flags. The issues these raise are amplified with women who don't really know you (as a friend, family member, or long-time colleague, say).

If you take certain precautionary measures, and become a good active listener and conversationalist (gradually, with practice), some women will still think of you as kind of creepy, but it would be saying more about them than about you.

"young women are on the look-out for predators, and anyone who presents mixed signals in body language or a strange attitude towards women may show what to them are red flags."

You mean if you do not show effective communication skills they will think you are a predator? What kind of predator?

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 5:58 am

Potential rapists, stalkers, and the like. I guess the general view of sex offenders is of people who are not socially well-adjusted and might suffer from mental illnesses or personality disorders. Indeed some studies show that a majority of sex offenders (though not all) qualify for at least one personality disorder.

I'm inclined to feel that men with AS are particularly at risk for this because a lot of us come across as a bit odd, but the more you integrate yourself with people, the less creepy you will seem. In the end, some people will still judge you, and that isn't fair, but c'est la vie.

JohnisBlind
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 6:04 am

Hector wrote:
Potential rapists, stalkers, and the like. I guess the general view of sex offenders is of people who are not socially well-adjusted and might suffer from mental illnesses or personality disorders. Indeed some studies show that a majority of sex offenders (though not all) qualify for at least one personality disorder.

I'm inclined to feel that men with AS are particularly at risk for this because a lot of us come across as a bit odd, but the more you integrate yourself with people, the less creepy you will seem. In the end, some people will still judge you, and that isn't fair, but c'est la vie.

But people women regard as maybe rapists or stalkers aren't the only reason somebody gets labeled creepy.

Yasmine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2010, 6:21 am

Generally.. Don't just walk up to her. There needs to be some established connection. Like PROLONGED eyecontact. Actually that is the only situation I can Phantom is ok to hit on someone you do not know at all. If you are talking to a girl because you are in the same situation and striking up a conversation do not hit on her before you are absolutely sure she is flirting with you.

And when/if you hit on someone you need to give her space. Make the move, but make sure you say something of the effect that you'll be leaving soon. Let her know that you will not hang on to her and make her uncomfertable. And of course.. go through with it - do not hang around.

JohnisBlind
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 6:32 am

Yasmine wrote:
Generally.. Don't just walk up to her. There needs to be some established connection. Like PROLONGED eyecontact. Actually that is the only situation I can Phantom is ok to hit on someone you do not know at all. If you are talking to a girl because you are in the same situation and striking up a conversation do not hit on her before you are absolutely sure she is flirting with you.

And when/if you hit on someone you need to give her space. Make the move, but make sure you say something of the effect that you'll be leaving soon. Let her know that you will not hang on to her and make her uncomfertable. And of course.. go through with it - do not hang around.

To be sure I need to know what you mean when you say "hit on." So if you hit on a gal in a bar you don't hit on her until the end of the conversation? I did not know about this rule about needing to give a person space after hitting on them. Nobody every told me that. I wish I knew of some books on this subject, other than that book called "the game" which seems really cheesy.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 6:46 am

I find it creepy, when any man hits on me.

JohnisBlind
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 6:50 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I find it creepy, when any man hits on me.

Why?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 7:22 am

Its only creepy if the guy gives off a creepy vibe.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 7:27 am

It's only creepy when they don't like you. I wish there was more to it than that, but there isn't. The successful pick up artist knows when to walk away.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 7:46 am

sacrip wrote:
It's only creepy when they don't like you. I wish there was more to it than that, but there isn't. The successful pick up artist knows when to walk away.

Maybe for some, but I feel in love with a guy who I initially thought was "creepy" when I got to know him. So I must have been attracted to him deep down but still thought he was creepy.

I have also had guys I am not interested in approach me and i didn't think they were creepy at all.

If a girl says a guy is creepy just because she isn't interested it means shes immature and insecre.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 8:15 am

Yasmine wrote:

seconded. good advice. :thumleft:

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 8:16 am

I thought of buying a shirt that said "creepy old guy". Just for kicks to put everything on the table right away.

So, it's understood that girls don't like creepiness, but do like confidence. What about a guy who is confidently creepy? :lol:

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 8:47 am

Janissy wrote:
Yasmine wrote:

seconded. good advice. :thumleft:

Definitely :thumleft: