Expression of affection (or lack thereof) and friendships

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 12:23 pm

I've realized, one thing I have difficulty with is expressions of affection and appreciation in non-romantic relationships.

(Regarding romantic relationships, I've only had one of those, my husband of 17 years, so it not being an issue is very specific to one relationship.)

I tend not to do it much. And, if I do, in writing on a card, not face to face. And sometimes I don't know what to do with expressions of affection from others. Like, how to respond. And sometimes, even, like, how to fit that into a relationship, as far as what the relationship is.

Not sure what I'm looking for in posting this. Sympathy, thoughts, advice, any of that I guess.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:59 am

In person I think I'd find it hard, as certain shows of affection can give off the wrong signals and confuse people. There's a line to be crossed between platonic and romantic, and I'm never quite sure where it's placed and what is appropriate to do without crossing that line.. It might depend on the other person and what they're comfortable with maybe. I found the overuse of the word "love" in a friendship situation to be confusing for me (I knew it was platonic but that word made things innapropriately deep IMO and I was confused about it). In writing or over the phone I just tend to reciprocate the other person. It feels awkward and unnatural to me though.