do this make you rethink abortion
yes i may have to consider abortion on some of these 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
no abortions ever 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 17

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 1:23 am

I would never selectively abort unless it was for a severe condition that impacted physical health with a poor prognosis.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 1:26 am

If you could tell, harlequin babies (Harlequin-type ichthyosis) should definitely be aborted.

By the way, don't look up Harlequin-type ichthyosis, you'll want to wash your eyes and brain out with acid. Just leave it at that it's a tragic birth defect that is fatal 100% of the time.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 1:35 am

PunkyKat wrote:
Who am I to decide weither or not a child lives or dies? Getting pregnant increases the odds of a child being born autistic, deaf, blind, diabetic, mentaly challanged, genius, etc. Don't want a child to potentaly be born with a disease or condition, don't get pregnant.

Remember, being born human is a tragic birth defect that is fatal in 100% of cases.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 5:50 am

skafather84 wrote:
If you could tell, harlequin babies (Harlequin-type ichthyosis) should definitely be aborted.

By the way, don't look up Harlequin-type ichthyosis, you'll want to wash your eyes and brain out with acid. Just leave it at that it's a tragic birth defect that is fatal 100% of the time.

I looked it up, and yes it looks horrific, but I've seen a lot of sci fi, so I wasn't that freaked out. It's not 100% fatal, there's a 26 year old living in the UK who has it and is a sports coach.

judyfox
Raven
Raven

21 Sep 2010, 7:51 am

skafather84 wrote:

I have look up this disorder and I seen a documentary long ago based on a boy whom has harlequin. When he was born it shocked his parents but he survive. What helped him was baby lotion. ( I believe) The type of moisturizer he used was over the counter type thing. They have surgery to fix the eyes. The young man was in high school, he played soccer and other sports, his life was good. in the documentary he was about 14 or 15.

heres a link to the disorder

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 9:27 am

puddingmouse wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

I looked it up, and yes it looks horrific, but I've seen a lot of sci fi, so I wasn't that freaked out. It's not 100% fatal, there's a 26 year old living in the UK who has it and is a sports coach.

Yeah and apparently they're still figuring out mortality rates and lifespan with the new treatment. Wasn't familiar with it. I still say abort.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

mizzfamousone
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2011, 4:43 pm

neurofibromatosis is very dangerous so maybe

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 5:00 pm

The poll provides insufficient answers. None of the potential conditions would prompt me to suggest an abortion, but I can't subscribe to the other option.

For me, personally, the only medical circumstances that would necessitate abortion are conditions that would render the child nonviable--an acephalic child, for example. But generally speaking a feotus that will not be viable is unlikely to be carried to term--many spontaneous miscarriages may be due to conditions in which the foetus will be unable to survive.

None of the conditions that you list are inconsistent with viability. But that does not mean that it cannot be a relevant circumstance in a woman's overall decision about whether or not to continue her preganancy.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 8:51 pm

Orwell wrote:
Remember, being born human is a tragic birth defect that is fatal in 100% of cases.

BUT - being human, we have the ineffable privilege of watching one another die and wondering who is next. So far as we can tell mosquito syndrome is equally fatal - and faster - but they don't realize they are doomed.