do this make you rethink abortion
yes i may have to consider abortion on some of these 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
no abortions ever 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 17

Capper7
Raven
Raven

06 Aug 2010, 9:17 pm

I don't really think there will ever be a good reason. I oppose abortion in all cases. I don't know all of the items on your list, but most of them sound like they won't be the direct cause of someone's death. Life is a precious gift that God doesn't include the receipt with.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 11:12 pm

I would ban abortion after genetic screening.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 2:58 am

Who am I to decide weither or not a child lives or dies? Getting pregnant increases the odds of a child being born autistic, deaf, blind, diabetic, mentaly challanged, genius, etc. Don't want a child to potentaly be born with a disease or condition, don't get pregnant.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 5:22 am

PunkyKat wrote:
Who am I to decide weither or not a child lives or dies? Getting pregnant increases the odds of a child being born autistic, deaf, blind, diabetic, mentaly challanged, genius, etc. Don't want a child to potentaly be born with a disease or condition, don't get pregnant.

+ 1

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 1:24 pm

Would you have an abortion if it was a chance your child may have :?: either at birth or one day
Autism spectrum :arrow: depends on the severity.
Edward syndrome :arrow: yes, no question
Down syndrome :arrow: yes, no question
neurofibromatosis :arrow: yes
Mental retardation spectrum :arrow: yes
Williams syndrome :arrow: maybe
spina bifida :arrow: maybe
Prader-Willi Syndrome :arrow: yes
asthma :arrow: not congenital?
blind :arrow: no
deaf :arrow: no
Spastic Cerebral Palsy :arrow: yes
Athetoid Cerebral Palsy :arrow: yes
Ataxic Cerebral Palsy :arrow: yes
Mixed Cerebral Palsy :arrow: yes
Epilepsy :arrow: maybe
childhood schizophrenia :arrow: yes
bioplar :arrow: maybe
FAS :arrow: not an issue, I don't drink
emotional disturbance :arrow: depends on the severity
Dyslexia :arrow: no
dyscalculia :arrow: no
macrophaly :arrow: !
Microcephaly :arrow: yes
diabetes :arrow: no
angle syndrome :arrow: maybe
speech disorder :arrow: no
hunter syndrome :arrow: maybe
Usher syndrome :arrow: maybe
Stickler syndrome :arrow: maybe
NT syndrome :arrow: probably not :p
severe abnormalities due to medications I might be on or toxins in my environment:arrow: yes

I think it is more merciful to prevent people with these disabilities from existing in the first place, and try again, than to force a lifetime of suffering on an innocent. Some people manage to overcome some of the lesser problems (ie, cerebral palsy), but most of those afflicted just have really difficult lives.

in addition, people with severe mental retardation, as with extreme Down's syndrome (and I have met a few), are so impaired that they have no chance to enjoy life even if they do get it.

In addition to that, I personally do not have the emotional and financial resources to lovingly raise a child with major proplems; I could put it up for adoption at birth, but the vast majority of children with major problems end up in the foster care system warehoused with people who just use them for a state check and often abuse them, which would add to their already extreme problems.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 3:00 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Asthma.. who in the name of holy f**k aborts for Asthma? Anybody who chooses to abort for asthma should probably BE aborted, regardless of how ex-utero they are.

For asthma, why not? I mean, as pro-choice, I support abortion for ANY reason, literally.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:40 pm

greenblue wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
Asthma.. who in the name of holy f**k aborts for Asthma? Anybody who chooses to abort for asthma should probably BE aborted, regardless of how ex-utero they are.

For asthma, why not? I mean, as pro-choice, I support abortion for ANY reason, literally.
That's rubbish.

Eugenics are a big issue and they go beyond "choice".

If you incur to genetic screening, then it should be considered a decision to have the child. Else why would you care about her genes? Eugenics would cause serious damage to mankind's genetic pool and I absolutely care about it more than personal freedom. If you let people abort kids for retardedness, they will begin aborting autistic, then asthmatics, then people with no blue eyes, then people that would be apt to work in management.

Success of an individual should be dictated by functional limits like being able to find a healthy parter to reproduce with. If we begin giving parents the right to decide success and we replace natural selection for artificial selection, we may actually harm the species as a whole. We already know that when humans are given such power to decide what traits are better than others, the consequences are negative, see Pedigree_Dogs_Exposed for more info. Eugenics + humans in charge of them = bad things happen.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:58 pm

I notice FAS on that list: Foetal Alchohol Syndrome. I have a friend who was a product of that who is generally quite content in life, and lives it well, with no greater problems than a slightly odd look to her, and a touch of naevity. Sure she has learning disabilities, but plenty of people do and function fine. I'm pretty sure she would be incredibly offended to learn that people think she should have been killed before being allowed to even live.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:28 am

LKL wrote:
Would you have an abortion if it was a chance your child may have :?: either at birth or one day
Autism spectrum :arrow: depends on the severity.
Edward syndrome :arrow: yes, no question
Down syndrome :arrow: yes, no question
neurofibromatosis :arrow: yes
Mental retardation spectrum :arrow: yes
Williams syndrome :arrow: maybe
spina bifida :arrow: maybe
Prader-Willi Syndrome :arrow: yes
asthma :arrow: not congenital?
blind :arrow: no
deaf :arrow: no
Spastic Cerebral Palsy :arrow: yes
Athetoid Cerebral Palsy :arrow: yes
Ataxic Cerebral Palsy :arrow: yes
Mixed Cerebral Palsy :arrow: yes
Epilepsy :arrow: maybe
childhood schizophrenia :arrow: yes
bioplar :arrow: maybe
FAS :arrow: not an issue, I don't drink
emotional disturbance :arrow: depends on the severity
Dyslexia :arrow: no
dyscalculia :arrow: no
macrophaly :arrow: !
Microcephaly :arrow: yes
diabetes :arrow: no
angle syndrome :arrow: maybe
speech disorder :arrow: no
hunter syndrome :arrow: maybe
Usher syndrome :arrow: maybe
Stickler syndrome :arrow: maybe
NT syndrome :arrow: probably not :p
severe abnormalities due to medications I might be on or toxins in my environment:arrow: yes

I think it is more merciful to prevent people with these disabilities from existing in the first place, and try again, than to force a lifetime of suffering on an innocent. Some people manage to overcome some of the lesser problems (ie, cerebral palsy), but most of those afflicted just have really difficult lives.

in addition, people with severe mental retardation, as with extreme Down's syndrome (and I have met a few), are so impaired that they have no chance to enjoy life even if they do get it.

In addition to that, I personally do not have the emotional and financial resources to lovingly raise a child with major proplems; I could put it up for adoption at birth, but the vast majority of children with major problems end up in the foster care system warehoused with people who just use them for a state check and often abuse them, which would add to their already extreme problems.

with autism and a few others you said " depends on the severity. " but mental retardation is also a spectrum boarderline, mild, moderated, severe, profound. would you abort if it was mild?
and neurofibromatosis is the same.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:33 am

@ LKL macrophaly is something i have in a lot of people have, it means

Macrocephaly
A condition, either present at birth or acquired, where the head is abnormally large.

sometimes babies with this can have water on the brain

often kids who have autism, mental retardation, neurofibromatosis have this :)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:51 am

[quote="MONIQUEIJ"]Would you have an abortion if it was a chance your child may have either at birth or one day
Autism spectrum > nope i'm fine
Edward syndrome > nope i cry giving birth
Down syndrome >nope
neurofibromatosis > nope i'm fine
Mental retardation spectrum > nope i'm fine
Williams syndrome >nope
spina bifida >nope
Prader-Willi Syndrome > nope cause my whole family is always hungry anyways
asthma > nope i'm fine
blind >nope
deaf > nope I know sign languege they learn
Spastic Cerebral Palsy > no
Athetoid Cerebral Palsy > no
Ataxic Cerebral Palsy > no

Mixed Cerebral Palsy > no
Epilepsy > no ( my sibs and me are find)
childhood schizophrenia > nope my bro find
bioplar > nope my sisters are find
FAS > nope cause i don't drink
emotional disturbance > nope if you menus me threanting people i'm 100% ok
Dyslexia > nope me and my sibs are fine
dyscalculia > nope
macrophaly > nope i'm still alive with it
Microcephaly >nope
diabetes > nope
angle syndrome > nope
speech disorder > nope i'm okay
hunter syndrome > nope
Usher syndrome > nope
Stickler syndrome >nope
NT syndrome > hell yeah I wouldn't want my child to suffer. would you ( jk nope too)
( feel in this) ----------------
depression > nope[/quote

No matter what topic

With many of the above differences, the fetus/embryo miscarries. The choice a woman makes about her pregnancy is private.

I have never considered termination. I have three children, and each is not perfect or brilliant, if judged by "designer ideals", but it was my decision to bring them into the world, and it is no one's business.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 2:03 pm

sartresue wrote:
MONIQUEIJ wrote:
Would you have an abortion if it was a chance your child may have either at birth or one day
Autism spectrum > nope i'm fine
Edward syndrome > nope i cry giving birth
Down syndrome >nope
neurofibromatosis > nope i'm fine
Mental retardation spectrum > nope i'm fine
Williams syndrome >nope
spina bifida >nope
Prader-Willi Syndrome > nope cause my whole family is always hungry anyways
asthma > nope i'm fine
blind >nope
deaf > nope I know sign languege they learn
Spastic Cerebral Palsy > no
Athetoid Cerebral Palsy > no
Ataxic Cerebral Palsy > no

Mixed Cerebral Palsy > no
Epilepsy > no ( my sibs and me are find)
childhood schizophrenia > nope my bro find
bioplar > nope my sisters are find
FAS > nope cause i don't drink
emotional disturbance > nope if you menus me threanting people i'm 100% ok
Dyslexia > nope me and my sibs are fine
dyscalculia > nope
macrophaly > nope i'm still alive with it
Microcephaly >nope
diabetes > nope
angle syndrome > nope
speech disorder > nope i'm okay
hunter syndrome > nope
Usher syndrome > nope
Stickler syndrome >nope
NT syndrome > hell yeah I wouldn't want my child to suffer. would you ( jk nope too)
( feel in this) ----------------
depression > nope[/quote

No matter what topic

With many of the above differences, the fetus/embryo miscarries. The choice a woman makes about her pregnancy is private.

I have never considered termination. I have three children, and each is not perfect or brilliant, if judged by "designer ideals", but it was my decision to bring them into the world, and it is no one's business.

designer babies they actually have that now :wink: :roll: :wink:

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:44 pm

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
with autism and a few others you said " depends on the severity. " but mental retardation is also a spectrum boarderline, mild, moderated, severe, profound. would you abort if it was mild?
and neurofibromatosis is the same.

I would be inclined to, depending on when in the pregnancy it was discovered and how desperate I was to continue that given pregnancy (ie, accidental vs. wanted pregnancy). I'd be less inclined to abort for a fetus with cerebral palsy than a fetus with mental retardation.

Quote:
@ LKL macrophaly is something i have in a lot of people have, it means

Macrocephaly
A condition, either present at birth or acquired, where the head is abnormally large.

LOL "macrophaly" =/= "macroCEphaly. The latter means 'big head.' The former... I'll let you figure out (hint: try it with 2 L's).

It's a little odd to me that so many people talk about how *they* personally wouldn't want to have been aborted. When I think about that question, it doesn't bother me at all: had I been aborted, I (as myself) would never have existed in the first place, and consequently could not suffer for my lack of being. I don't think that aborting a zef in the first two trimesters is morally any worse than using birth control, except for the mother because it's a lot more involved for her medically. In the 3rd trimester, the fetus is starting to develop a functional CNS (by functional, I mean that the neurons have enough connections to each other to produce human EEGs, not that there are random twitches happening), and that's a lot more fraught with issues.

judyfox
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2010, 7:38 am

I have scan through a few of your answers and I must say; I am surprise that somebody wrote yes for Prader-Willi Syndrome; please look up what that is. I have mental retardation and autism together, I got kinda offended that many individuals put yes for abortion for MR.

I am fully aware of the fact I have a higher chance of having a child with MR; but depends on the severity of it for my child; I will raise him/her normal as possible.

I am also fully aware I have a higher chance of having a child with autism because autism seem to be genetic within my family. I also have a mild case of NF; their have been some studies that shows people with NF have a higher chance of having a child with autism or having the disorder themselves. This is because the NF gene is found on chromosome 17 and autism gene is also found on the 17 chromosome.

Doesn't matter what my child has or don't have abortion is not for me.
I will raise my baby while being strict and fun at the same time.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 8:22 am

I think it's pretty arrogant to assume the degree of another person's suffering. Some people with Down's are the happiest people in the world. Some completely healthy and advantaged people are the most miserable.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 9:08 am

I think out of that list, I'd only abort for Edward syndrome. I think, anyway. I don't know 'til I'm in that situation.