Toucan

12 Sep 2010, 9:30 am

Oh man, I'm excited for this.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 1:19 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
These are also the guys who produced Fallout 1 & 2, games far superior to Fallout 3.

Obsidian has a bad track record on the technical side, but they are capable of making truly brilliant interactive stories too.

Like I stated before, this game is based on the FO 3 engine, which is very stable. The game should be bug-free, and if these guys can’t tell a good Fallout story, nobody can.

But you won't be able to enjoy the story if the game is littered with bugs and glitches.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 2:57 am

I'm not planning on pre-ordering this but, I'm looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 2:55 pm

^^^ Good or bad, trust me, I'll let everyone know!! !

PS

I'm looking forward to Chris A's comic nearly as much as the game itself.

Just another reason to order the collector's edition.

Mojave
Raven
Raven

14 Sep 2010, 9:29 pm

Why is Marcus so different than the Super Mutants of the DC Wasteland?

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 10:28 pm

Super Mutants are created when humans are exposed to F.E.V. (forced evolution virus).

The short answer as to why Vault 87 (east coast) and Mariposa (west coast) super mutants are different is because they are products of different strains of F.E.V.

Also...

A theory from Fallout 1&2 says that pure humans make better/smarter super mutants.
Perhaps the super mutants we see roaming the streets of D.C. come from very contaminated/mutated stock?

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 1:14 am

Playstation Blog reveals FONV companions, including a robo-dog and a Super Mutant with schizophrenia!

->click<-

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2010, 2:30 pm

I almost forgot about the music. I know Fallout3 wouldn't have been as enjoyable without its soundtrack. I'm looking forward to the music almost as much as the game itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY1GHtJT ... re=related

These are a few of the songs that are supposed to be heard in-game.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 1:11 pm

Bethesda Blog: survival & craft skills!! ! <-Click!

YEEHA! Time to make some caps the manly way, tradin' Gecko hides!! !

They make for awful good eatin' too. :wink:

Talis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2010, 4:22 pm

I have no real interest in pre-ordering it but I may get it eventually. I felt Fallout 3 was okay as far as it was fun for the first ride through, but realistically it offered no re-playability after I finished all of the achievements and dlc. I liked it so I tried to go back and play it again but realized there's little to nothing to do unless you like killing stuff for next to no reason just so you can build a new character (There were only like maybe 25 side quests in the game). I actually haven't liked this genre of rpg's much since they got lame after TESIII: Morrowind and maybe Arx Fatalis. I feel like developers are lazy and just make these games full of open space now and don't actually think about filling the atmosphere of the game. I don't know about the next person but like in Oblivion I got tired of walking into the same of 8 different caves opening crates to find yarn inside... Fallout three wasn't a whole lot different in appearance (I guess it had more alternate dungeons and more varieties of yarn type objects). The only thing I thought was interesting about Fallout three was the battle system and the neat perks but realistically the game was monotonous. I admit also that the weapons were neat but did anybody actually use the mini nuke launcher thing? I mean there were only so many mini nukes in the game (They were rare) and enemies infinitely re-spawned every 3 days. Ungh... it sounds like I'm bashing Fallout but I'm not really. I'm just bored of the same games and Fallout 3 was just Oblivion in another world and due to the lack of creativity in developer blood today I don't see New Vegas being anything but old.

Oh yeah, I have a terrible time in being immersed in a game where the people have no personality and don't even feel like they care about their situation since it feels impossibly fake (It makes me feel like the people of the game world are so stupid they would slowly and purposefully sit on a land mine just to scratch an itch). Like in F3 the people felt like robots programmed to act like idiots and cuss every three seconds. Fallout 3 had some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard in an rpg aside from Two Worlds. I felt no connection to being anyone's hero in that game so saving their world felt pointless and ultimately the main quest line's end was boring before and after the dlc. So I'm kinda not counting on much of an improvement on NV unless somebody credible tells me otherwise. Even if they get better voice actors it's likely that the script writer will be just as much a tard as the previous game (Ie... Mass Effect 2 was an S-bomb for boring dialogue even if they had fancy voice acting).

Also In NV I'd hope they upgrade the character editor. These type of rpg's require many hours... I hate staring at a generic character I had little to no input on. It makes me feel even less connected to a game when my character is practically decided for me in an open world generic hero game. I'd also hope for more customization in clothing as I'm pretty sure there weren't very many armor models and I hate when my character looks stupid in a game as well (ie... the vault clothing or even the blocky power armor).

Ungh... I dunno even being annoyed with things in Fallout 3 I'll probably play New Vegas. I'd ask if the new one is better but, I just don't trust many people I talk to in the whole "Is it better than the last thing". No matter who you ask that likes the game will generally always say the new one is better (Why can't people be unbiased? I'll even say when something I like has flaws). It's like asking a Halo fan If Reach is the best Halo game and they say it is now when there hasn't been a good Halo game since Halo 1. I can't stand talking to gamestop employees either because they're into whatever is trendy (Ie... Gamestop employee: "Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2? What's that? I heard it's hard... you should play the new Call of Duty game because you don't have to use your brain and you're supposed to like boring army men just like everyone else right?").

Heck maybe NV will be a post apocalyptic Morrowind as far as having explorability and re playability... I dunno I just yawn from hype so I'll see if it's good when I come around to buying it which probably wont be too far from launch since nothing very interesting ever comes out anyway but every once in a while.

I think some of F3's saving graces anyway were just stockpiling weapons and obliterating towns only to reload your game (I guess the freedom aspect). Usually I don't do those types of things in a game but I do if there's nothing better to do... especially when the npc's act and talk like cattle >_<.

Anyway, I really hope New Vegas is different or I might just hang up the controller half way through the story because I'm tired of mediocre games.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 7:13 pm

I won't preorder because if I do I'll be waiting for my copy while my friends just walk into Gamestop or Best Buy and buy theirs. The physical media will not sell out. Digital content distribution is another option for the PC.

No need to preorder.

I'm sooo looking forward to this! :) I was a huge fan of Morrowind and Oblivion. I jumped at Fallout 3, never having played the older ones, just because I wanted another Oblivion-like world to explore. But the small number of NPCs, and lack of factions the player can join, and the small number of missions, were a dissapointment. Supposedly New Vegas wil be much broader in scope.

I don't want to derail the topic too far... but Fallout 3 reminded me of Far Cry 2. A huge beautiful world to explore, but a linear story line with a firm ending. Far Cry 2 had a HUGE potential, and it got watered down to a really lame and frustrating game. I want New Vegas to be more Oblivion-like, and open ended!

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 2:13 am

Here's the latest from The Vault:

Quote:
Potential spoilers ~

The NMA forums have unearthed details and impressions gleaned from Canard PC magazine on a quest at Repconn given by Boone, involving cultist ghouls, stealth boy-addicted Nightkin and a human scientist who believes that he's a ghoul. After failing an initial combat-based approach, the player managed to use the Courier's speech skill to diplomatically solve the entire, very detailed, quest, and stated that it was even possible to turn each faction against each other. Promisingly, the writer of the preview is a big fan of Fallouts 1 & 2 (he despised FO3) and was very impressed with what he saw from four hours with New Vegas, highlighting the game's quest design, dialogue, characters and music.

Translated by HawK-EyE:
“ "I [am] now almost certain to be in front of a true Fallout. And I found it hard not to see the relationship with the Ghost Farm questline near Modoc in Fallout 2: A quest seemingly obvious, pointing to an ideal bad guy that gradually became more complex..." ”

This makes me HAPPY!! !! !

:D

leftyswin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2010, 10:33 am

I've never played Fallout before. I thought about buying it once, but I was turned off by the ability to freeze time and target a specific body part. A friend of mine told me that you can only do it every now and then, but it still seems cheap to me. I might try it some day because so many people seem to like it, but at the moment I'm not planing anything.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 2:14 pm

Talis wrote:
So I'm kinda not counting on much of an improvement on NV unless somebody credible tells me otherwise. Even if they get better voice actors it's likely that the script writer will be just as much a tard as the previous game (Ie... Mass Effect 2 was an S-bomb for boring dialogue even if they had fancy voice acting).

From what I've read, the terrible dialogues were the worst part of Bethesda doing FO3, especially compared to the brilliant writing that the previous two games had.

And most of those guys are doing New Vegas, so I'm expecting nothing less than good things.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 3:27 pm

^^^ With Chris Avellone doing a lot of the writing, I think the dialogs/story will be great and funny too!

If you like your Fallout serious, you might HATE New Vegas.

leftyswin wrote:
I've never played Fallout before. I thought about buying it once, but I was turned off by the ability to freeze time and target a specific body part. A friend of mine told me that you can only do it every now and then, but it still seems cheap to me. I might try it some day because so many people seem to like it, but at the moment I'm not planing anything.

Fallout is not a shooter, it's a RPG. So, yes you can freeze the action and do a sort of pseudo turn-based combat.

However, if you check the game play vid above, you'll see that New Vegas also has an 'iron sights' mode so you can play it like a FPS as well.