Help! I get too emotionally attached to other people.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 10:22 pm

I'm the same.

Try crushing the obsessive thought with another thought as soon as you feel them developing. Can't say if it works, I'm trying it out, myself.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 10:26 am

I am finding I still have this difficulty as well. I would develop a crush on someone and that's ALL I could think about. I'm still doing this now: I've been talking to a girl online for a week who meets my narrow requirements and I will make me feel depressed if it doesn't go well. I had another girl who I was sure was "the one" refuse to meet me and then block me and I was absolutely devastated rather than say "well, that's her problem not mine".

I totally agree with anneurysm. Since I have few close relationships even though I know a ton of people I tend to be overboard with my emotions with someone when someone shows an interest in me. They without fail gradually fade away. I know the obvious thing to say is STOP BEING TOO FORWARD like Mom always tells me but that's like saying don't yamn when you are tired. Easier said than done.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 11:42 pm

I get that way too with certain people and have fantasies about what it would be like to be closer to them. It seems like if it's not with one person it's with another person I try to distract myself from it, but it doesn't always work.