Mother dilutes baby formula and nearly kills baby

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 10:51 am

i just learn something new i thought that you was suppose to put water with there formula,
it is powder, and i thought that you was suppose to do it with the liquid too, this mother wasn't try to kill her son but comments on YouTube make it seem that way.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyYmtlAb6A8[/youtube]

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 12:17 pm

This happens quite often as new parents assume they are saving money and stretching their limited income by diluting the baby's formula...to make it last longer.

All parents of infants should be made aware that their baby's formula cannot be diluted as it deprives the baby of the necessary nutrients it needs for growth and development...

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 12:23 pm

Zsazsa wrote:
This happens quite often as new parents assume they are saving money and stretching their limited income by diluting the baby's formula...to make it last longer.

All parents of infants should be made aware that their baby's formula cannot be diluted as it deprives the baby of the necessary nutrients it needs for growth and development...

+ 1

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 12:43 pm

Thank goodness for breast milk. I was really worried before my son was born that I might have to use formula, and I knew I was so disorganised there was a high risk I'd do something wrong. Fortunately there was nothing wrong with my equipment, and I nursed him for three years. Much simpler than faffing about with formula... sterilising, weighing out, heating up to the right temperature etc.

I feel sorry for the Mum, I'm sure she meant no harm... she was just poor.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 2:02 pm

Zsazsa wrote:

If they don't realize that from the beginning, they probably shouldn't be breeding.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 3:39 pm

Chronos wrote:
Zsazsa wrote:

If they don't realize that from the beginning, they probably shouldn't be breeding.

Most baby formulas are "dilute" after a fashion.. that is to say made up by mixing powder and water in given degrees. Its not so very much of a leap to believe that adding extra water would be so damaging. Besides which, if formula wasn't so massively over-priced people would be less inclined to try and cut costs with it. But it exists as something that many simply cant do without, and thus is open to abuse (like oil.)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 6:16 pm

That's what WIC is for. For mothers who can't afford lot of formula. Do those mothers not qualify? They should if they have low income. If they have high income, they should be able to afford it.

At first when I heard "To make it last longer" I thought it meant to make it last longer as in so you wouldn't have to dump it out but no, my husband told me it means to use less formula. I felt better because I had seen mothers put water in their baby's bottle and then add the formula and shake it and I wondered what are you supposed to use then to make it liquid? What can I do to keep my baby from dying when I have to use formula.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 6:21 pm

League_Girl wrote:
That's what WIC is for. For mothers who can't afford lot of formula. Do those mothers not qualify? They should if they have low income. If they have high income, they should be able to afford it.

At first when I heard "To make it last longer" I thought it meant to make it last longer as in so you wouldn't have to dump it out but no, my husband told me it means to use less formula. I felt better because I had seen mothers put water in their baby's bottle and then add the formula and shake it and I wondered what are you supposed to use then to make it liquid? What can I do to keep my baby from dying when I have to use formula.

you be surprised at the mothers who never even heard of wic.
and also a lot of the time well in nyc, if you get on these program,
your child have a higher rate to be taken form you by acs,
that one reason why i'm not getting this for my twins, i don't wont those monsters calling me a unfit mother. and i guess it's also a lot of older people give this type of advice with the milk

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 6:32 pm

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

that one reason why i'm not getting this for my twins, i don't wont those monsters calling me a unfit mother. and i guess it's also a lot of older people give this type of advice with the milk

I didn't even know about WIC till I was about 22. So I knew I could have a baby and not worry about spending a lot on formula. But aren't those mothers handed the WIC brochure when they go to a doctor when they find out they are pregnant? I have been handed one at my health clinic and from Planned Parenthhood when I found out. Then I was sent another one again when I got on the Oregon Health Plan. Do not all Planned Parenthoods or all hospitals or medicare hand out WIC brochures?

You're pregnant or have kids?

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 6:49 pm

League_Girl wrote:
MONIQUEIJ wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I didn't even know about WIC till I was about 22. So I knew I could have a baby and not worry about spending a lot on formula. But aren't those mothers handed the WIC brochure when they go to a doctor when they find out they are pregnant? I have been handed one at my health clinic and from Planned Parenthhood when I found out. Then I was sent another one again when I got on the Oregon Health Plan. Do not all Planned Parenthoods or all hospitals or medicare hand out WIC brochures?

when my friend was pregnant she recently had her baby 2 weeks ago, and the hospital she went to they didn't give her non of that she heard about it through other friends of hers who was pregnant.

and No i don't have kids at the moment and i'm not pregnant but i planned to get pregnant with twins my first time, in two years. London and Paris :D

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 7:30 pm

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
MONIQUEIJ wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

when my friend was pregnant she recently had her baby 2 weeks ago, and the hospital she went to they didn't give her non of that she heard about it through other friends of hers who was pregnant.

and No i don't have kids at the moment and i'm not pregnant but i planned to get pregnant with twins my first time, in two years. London and Paris :D

Somtimes I get a strange feeling I am going to have twins. I hope not. One baby is enough.

I also wanted to name my baby London but my husband won't let me. Stubborn man I have. He doesn't even like Natalie or Anita or Natalia. He doesn't like Juniper either. But I think it's too soon anyway to start picking out names.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 8:46 pm

League_Girl wrote:
MONIQUEIJ wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
MONIQUEIJ wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Somtimes I get a strange feeling I am going to have twins. I hope not. One baby is enough.

I also wanted to name my baby London but my husband won't let me. Stubborn man I have. He doesn't even like Natalie or Anita or Natalia. He doesn't like Juniper either. But I think it's too soon anyway to start picking out names.

my bf told me i cant name a child Paris if it is a boy but i know that it is a boy name to lol :lol: :lol:

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 6:26 am

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
MONIQUEIJ wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

But do you have someone to have a baby with, and a stable environment, and money? You can't choose whether you'll have twins, fate decides that. :P

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 11:35 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
MONIQUEIJ wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
MONIQUEIJ wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

But do you have someone to have a baby with, and a stable environment, and money? You can't choose whether you'll have twins, fate decides that. :P

Egg implants :P