Are there any Aspies with Below Average IQ?

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 7:42 pm

1. I think people that are more likely to use Wrongplanet have higher IQ's.
2. People with higher IQ's are more likely to post them.
3. People lie.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 7:51 pm

Very true; if you had, say, an IQ of 96, you'd probably go, "Oh, okay, I'm average," and think nothing more of it. Whereas, if you scored a 143... you'd probably spend some time thinking about it and wondering whether that meant you were now obligated to become a brain surgeon. :P

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 7:53 pm

TPE2 wrote:
It is not much clear what "Below average IQ" really means, specially because it is not also much clear what is supposed to be "average IQ" - 100? 85-115? 70-130?

What the DSM says is "There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood." and "In contrast to Autistic Disorder, Mental Retardation is not usually observed in Asperger's Disorder, although occasional cases in which Mild Mental Retardation is present have been noted (e.g.,when the Mental Retardation becomes apparent only in the school years, with no apparent cognitive or language delay in the first years of life)."

100 is average by definition. Therefore any IQ score below it is technically below average. I suppose you mean below average range, in which case I don't know. I do know that a person with 70 and below is considered to be mentally ret*d.

Just out of curiosity OP, what makes your son seem specifically Aspie rather than autistic?

Last edited by KaiG on 12 Aug 2010, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 7:54 pm

Callista wrote:
Very true; if you had, say, an IQ of 96, you'd probably go, "Oh, okay, I'm average," and think nothing more of it. Whereas, if you scored a 143... you'd probably spend some time thinking about it and wondering whether that meant you were now obligated to become a brain surgeon. :P

How strange. My IQ is 96.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 8:03 pm

Yes!! I'm psychic!! ! :lol:

KaiG wrote:
Just out of curiosity OP, what makes your son seem specifically Aspie rather than autistic?

This, probably:
Quote:
He had words on time, and now speaks in full sentences---most of these make sense, but he does make up words and likes to speak in gibberish at times. he did a lot of echolalia which has subsided for the most part.
So a highly verbal kid, who spoke on time despite a 65 on the IQ test... sounds Aspie to me, too. The annoying thing is that, like me, he's probably technically classic autistic, because while he has no speech delay, he does have echolalia and neologisms (both of which I had, too). There are actually very few Asperger's cases that can't also be diagnosed as "classic autism" simply because quite a few of us have adaptive-skills delays (slow in learning to take care of ourselves) or highly unusual, though not delayed, speech.

(I'm diagnosed Asperger's, but that's probably because my mom was in denial and the doctors didn't catch on until I was twenty. As a toddler, I had speech that was scripted, sometimes echolalic, and definitely unusual enough to be called "autistic disorder".)

Autism Memorial:

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 8:11 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Callista wrote:

How strange. My IQ is 96.

Mine WAS 143 (Full-Scale) on the second-to-last WAIS I took.

It was only 104 on the most recent one.

I'd be lucky to pass Anatomy and Physiology let alone become a brain surgeon.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 8:13 pm

Basically, any autistic that can tie his own shoes, attends normal school and can have a normal conversation is considered a high functioning autistic (HFA). Aspies are HFA's with higher IQ's. Exactly where the cutoff point is at is somewhat debated, but its somewhere between 110 and 130. However, recently, the term Aspergers seems to be used synonymously with HFA. That is incorrect, but it seems to be the way things are going.

Non-aspie HFA's tend to be less argumentative and have an easier time fitting in socially with NT's. Aspies have a harder time socially, but tend to get better jobs due to better education and intelligence.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 8:18 pm

I know the IQ test factors in the age of the testee, but even so, I'm still dubious about IQ tests taken so young, because people develop at different rates. I say test him again when he's 12 or something, and see if the result has changed.

Last edited by KaiG on 12 Aug 2010, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 8:18 pm

Okay, sorry to go off topic, but this got me thinking. My IQ is in the gifted range, yet I struggle immensely sometimes answering basic questions, my spelling is terrible and I forget words easily even though my vocabulary is quite broad, I write numbers around the wrong way or in incorrect sequences, like telephone numbers and sometimes my response to things can be quite slow and measured. I also cannot remember immediately what is the left and what is the right. That is why I don't drive. If someone asks me to turn left, I often turn right, unless I actually stop to think about it and look at my left and right hands.

Yet at other times, I can come up with solutions to problems very quickly and learn new information quite quickly as long as it is explained in a specific way, I can often then make correlations between things that seem unspecific or completely abstract(usually scientific or mathematical in nature) but struggle with math word problems(comprehension). And even then english comprehension is one of my strengths.

I have never really been interested in IQ or what it means, but I am quite fascinated by the polarity in certain situations. So, back to the point of the OP, I wonder if IQ actually means anything at all. I was a very advanced child, but was very silly in certain situations and often got referred to as "stupid". I think your boy is just fine.

Take care,

Mics

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 8:23 pm

n4mwd wrote:
Basically, any autistic that can tie his own shoes, attends normal school and can have a normal conversation is considered a high functioning autistic (HFA). Aspies are HFA's with higher IQ's. Exactly where the cutoff point is at is somewhat debated, but its somewhere between 110 and 130. However, recently, the term Aspergers seems to be used synonymously with HFA. That is incorrect, but it seems to be the way things are going.

Non-aspie HFA's tend to be less argumentative and have an easier time fitting in socially with NT's. Aspies have a harder time socially, but tend to get better jobs due to better education and intelligence.
Umm... No. The cutoff is at 70 and "no speech delay". Aspies are not smarter versions of autistics except that they exclude anyone with mental retardation from an Asperger's diagnosis. HFA is simply what they say when you don't fit their stereotype of low-functioning, and has no official medical definition.

Autism Memorial:

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 8:43 pm

I think IQ scores can shift with age. But he could be PDDNOS or just Autism rather than an aspie.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 8:46 pm

5 is a bit young to really make any definitive conclusions. Especially if he does have some developmental delays. He may come up into the average range as he ages.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 9:45 pm

Callista wrote:
Umm... No. The cutoff is at 70 and "no speech delay". Aspies are not smarter versions of autistics except that they exclude anyone with mental retardation from an Asperger's diagnosis. HFA is simply what they say when you don't fit their stereotype of low-functioning, and has no official medical definition.

Naaah, 70 would be more inline with HFA. The issue with no speech delays seems to be going away. The rock bottom minimum for an aspie is above average which I think is around 110.

In reality, a person is either autistic or they are not. The person's intelligence is not a factor. So you can have an autistic with a low IQ (LFA's) or an autistic with an above average IQ (aspies).

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 10:02 pm

Michhsta wrote:
Okay, sorry to go off topic, but this got me thinking. My IQ is in the gifted range, yet I struggle immensely sometimes answering basic questions, my spelling is terrible and I forget words easily even though my vocabulary is quite broad, I write numbers around the wrong way or in incorrect sequences, like telephone numbers and sometimes my response to things can be quite slow and measured. I also cannot remember immediately what is the left and what is the right. That is why I don't drive. If someone asks me to turn left, I often turn right, unless I actually stop to think about it and look at my left and right hands.

Yet at other times, I can come up with solutions to problems very quickly and learn new information quite quickly as long as it is explained in a specific way, I can often then make correlations between things that seem unspecific or completely abstract(usually scientific or mathematical in nature) but struggle with math word problems(comprehension). And even then english comprehension is one of my strengths.

I have never really been interested in IQ or what it means, but I am quite fascinated by the polarity in certain situations. So, back to the point of the OP, I wonder if IQ actually means anything at all. I was a very advanced child, but was very silly in certain situations and often got referred to as "stupid". I think your boy is just fine.

Take care,

Mics

More likely highly intelligent with learning difficulties. So far from what I've seen on WP learning difficulties seem quite commons among us.

n4mwd wrote:

I never heard of such a definition. I don't think asperger as to do with general intelligence.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 10:04 pm

I always thought that one of the traits of Asperger's was a higher than average intelligence. That'd be 110+ or something.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 10:25 pm

Just found out that my 14 year old son, when he was five, was tested at about 60 for his IQ. Then, a few years later, tested at 130. He now tests around 100 -- average -- and yet, he gets A's and B's in regular ed classes.

IQ tests generally mean very little. ESPECIALLY when the child is young, and not very good at communication. I think the scores are interesting, but don't predict intelligence all that much.