What is Facebook stalking???

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2010, 11:12 am

Someone I remember explained it, but IDK. Is it wrong to look a your FB friends pictures or videos? I get bored, so I get tempted to do those things.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 11:45 am

No that isn't wrong. Facebook is public for people to see and if you don't want people seeing your photos and videos, don't make them public. Make them private where only friends can see them. Plus the whole point of having facebook is to share to your friends and family about your life so if you don't want to share something, don't post photos or the videos about it.

That goes for posting your facebook link, you are inviting anyone to look at it. I have totally made mine private but I can't even get some of my photos to be public even when I make them public. Only people who are on my friends can see them. I don't think it be wrong of them to look at them because I do have them for them to see.

RaquiGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2010, 1:36 pm

Facebook stalking (sometimes called Face-stalking) can be one of two things.

1. It can be when someone harrasses or otherwise (whether deliberately or unintentionally) frightens their "victim", by sending unwanted messages or posts or attempts to gather information about the person from their Facebook page to harrass them or stalk them in real life... as in, "I called the police and made a report because that weird guy from my physics class was Face-stalking me, even after I told him to leave me alone!"

OR (and this is probably more likely)

2. It can be a humorous turn of phrase used to describe someone who is a little too obsessed (but not too seriously, as in the previous example) with knowing everything about what another person does or says or posts on Facebook. As in, "Honey, who is that girl in California who keeps posting on your Facebook?" "Well dear, she's my cousin... and why are you paying attention to that anyway? What are you... Face-stalking me? Haha!"

It's totally okay to look at what people post on Facebook. I "Face-stalk" my boyfriend all the time and he does it to me too... my Mom Face-stalks me and asks me weird questions about the stuff I post, which is annoying because I'm in my thirties (!), but it's only because she cares. As long as no one is getting hurt, it's totally okay, but Facebook can also be really obsessive for me, so I try to limit what I do and what I look at there, but it doesn't always work.

I hope that helps.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 6:41 pm

Constantly adding someone as a friend when they decline you = facebook stalking
If you don't know the person IRL or well online and you are always leaving them messages = facebook stalking

Thats pretty much how I see it. Looking at pictures, videos and commenting on facebook status isn't stalking. Why? Because they invite you to do that by putting them out there, and accepting you as a friend.

Sionis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2010, 7:22 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
If you don't know the person IRL or well online and you are always leaving them messages = facebook stalking

Thats pretty much how I see it. Looking at pictures, videos and commenting on facebook status isn't stalking. Why? Because they invite you to do that by putting them out there, and accepting you as a friend.

You do know though that people who are not friends can view those photos as well, thanks to FBs ridiculous privacy system.

Ambrose_Rotten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2010, 8:10 pm

Sionis wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

You do know though that people who are not friends can view those photos as well, thanks to FBs ridiculous privacy system.

You can control that stuff.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 4:45 am

I don't think anyone takes it seriously, but as far as I know it's when you go through someone's old status updates, look through all of their stuff, etc.

Of course, it's not wrong to do any of that stuff, it just shows you have an interest in a person I guess. But yeah, I don't think it's taken too seriously at all.

right-hand-child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2010, 4:10 pm

i geuss i agree with what everyone else is saying, if you're trying to gather information on them obsessively (and just looking at what they put up is different)and always messaging them even when they've made it clear they dont want to talk with or see you then i would classify that as facebook stalking. public stuff is public, private stuf is private. simple as.

and asp-z -- shouldnt satan be holding that ipad in your avatar :lol:

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 6:59 pm

Everyone here is pretty right on the money. I see Facebook stalking as spending long periods of time observing a particular person's Facebook page. I do it quite often.

Wily_Walleye
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2010, 2:12 am

Northeastern292 wrote:
Everyone here is pretty right on the money. I see Facebook stalking as spending long periods of time observing a particular person's Facebook page. I do it quite often.

Hahhahaaha! yup! This accounts for around 75% of my facebook activities.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:13 pm

Northeastern292 wrote:
I see Facebook stalking as spending long periods of time observing a particular person's Facebook page. I do it quite often.

I do this as well....but not that often.

Be funny if we had a program that would track down the names and hours of anyone viewing your profile.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:50 pm

About the best preventative is not friending losers who like to brag on zOMG, there is no app for telling you who's viewing your profile

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 4:36 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
About the best preventative is not friending losers who like to brag on zOMG, there is no app for telling you who's viewing your profile

Is Zomg still around?

Last time I checked it was closed down.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 6:07 pm

Sopho shut it down because she got tired of all the spamming and all the negtivity there. She grew up and decided it was time to move on.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 6:03 pm

She was cool, so were a few other members there, but it only takes a couple of losers to ruin a forum