Don't you just hate it when someone asks you this question?

Page 3 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2006, 5:28 am

Why am I so quiet?. That question isnt so much stupid but I do find it intrusive. It puts me on the spot to give a response which I dont want to give.
When I do get asked this question I usually end up saying " I dunno". But this response successfully gives the person asking the question the idea that you dont want to be asked that question again.

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2006, 3:02 am

Knightsaber wrote:

Them: Why are you so quiet?
Me: I have Asperger's Syndrome, it's an airborne virus, highly contagious.
Them: (Fleeing)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2006, 9:56 am

I used to get these questions more often:

Are you feeling okay? (I guess I looked sick to most people?)

Are you angry? (got this one all of the time in school)

I guess I wore what was perceived as an angry expression but in truth, I was just concentrating so hard on what to do next and putting one foot in front of the other with all of the obnoxious smells and deafening noise and incomprehensible people to contend with. Maybe this made me look ill, also. I learned to check my expression in a mirror and I did look p.o.ed. I also learned how to walk more naturally, less stiffly, and how to be polite. I fixed it, but I resented having to make all of those changes.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 5:45 pm

Keeno wrote:
What about the question "Tell me about yourself", always asked in job interviews.

Where do you start? Has there ever been a more open ended question?

Although, usually what they mean is "Tell me about your career to date".

Job interviews are ret*d... I hate work.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

29 May 2006, 6:56 pm

Thankfully, I am not plagued by the question of why I am quiet because I usually have my nose in a book, thus obviously explaining why my mouth is not open. I do, however, get "What are you reading?" and then someone tries to strike up a conversation. I hate that with every fiber of my being. Excuse me, dammit, if I am reading then clearly I am NOT wanting to talk to you over my book. If I wanted to talk to you, I would not have the book open. Also, I cannot summarize books for the life of me, and they ALWAYS want to know what it's about.

Then there's the wonderful 'Why do you read so much?' It's like my classmates are suspicious of anyone who wants to read for fun or something. I mean, I can understand wanting to know why I have a different book every day (I read very, very quickly), but asking me why I like reading?

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2006, 6:01 am

Keeno wrote:
What about the question "Tell me about yourself", always asked in job interviews.

Where do you start? Has there ever been a more open ended question?

Although, usually what they mean is "Tell me about your career to date"

try practicing giving the answer before the interveiw. practice answers for questions you think may be asked

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 9:02 pm

I've been getting more "are you alrights?" lately more than just "why are you so quiet?"s It could be because I burst out crying at P.E. for some strange reason and went to the office. I don't even know why I was crying in the first place. :?

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

fluffums
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Sep 2006, 10:03 pm

Yes! I hate that. They've stopped asking me that now, and just ask my friends questions like I can't talk. :cry: One day in core, I sat down at my table group and my friend and a boy were across from me. I had fallen into a bush that morning, so my face was a little red, had a few scratches and was bleeding. He turned to my friend and asked "What's wrong with her? Does she have poisen oak?" Then, my friend proceded to tell him that I had fallen in a bush. Things like this happen quite a lot to me.

overflow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2006, 12:39 am

"What's wrong?"

Nothing. And if something was wrong, I wouldn't tell you anyway because it wouldn't help.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 12:52 am

I hate any personal question. People can ask me questions about snakes, cosmology, the war in Iraq, anything other than personal question like "why are you so quiet" or "what did you do last weekend?"

However I can handle that first question much better now. I just say "because I'm autistic"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 2:33 am

I'd love to be able to tell those people, "Gee...I'm sorry...I wouldn't want to bore you, by talking about LONDON!" :twisted:

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 7:51 am

I used to get this question a lot. No one ever asks me this question now. First of all, I don't assoiciate with anyone obtuse enough to ask such a question. Secondly, my demeanor and evident self pride makes it so that even if a person were obtuse enough to think to ask such a question, they wouldn't dare.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 8:31 am

One day I was laughing histerically at a joke but without realizing it at the time I was also flapping my hands.

Then somebody asked me the question, "are you gay?"
I just froze and I did not know what to say, and stayed quiet with now answer. Oops! also a mistake.
I should have been at least quick to reply "no, I am autistiic"

So next time I meet a gay person flapping his hands I will ask him the question "are you autistic?"

Paul

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 9:32 am

tinky wrote:
"Why are you so quiet?"

I always want to just answer, "Why are you so loud and mouthy?" :x

Newmie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2006, 2:33 pm

I have the greatest thoughts in my head but either the sound of my voice or things getting mixed up when I try to say them, then me hating myself for speaking in the first place (unless it is with my close friends who understand). Often I smile and wish the other person could see inside my head and speak to me telepathically.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 2:43 pm

I really don't like it when people ask me that. It's stupid when NTs state the obvious like that.

How To Reply

"Why are you so talkative?"
"I've got nothing to say."
"Well what do you want me to say?"

Their reactions

"Ok, just wondering."
"Well...." And are lost for words.
"I don't know...err...Just talk."