Executive function test & Dyslexia test

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 5:57 pm

Hi founts of infinite wisdom,

Could anyone point me in the right direction for any online and fairly comprehensive Executive Functioning tests and testing for Dyslexia?

I have searched myself, but I would rather get tried and true tests from the people on WP. Links or suggestions would be great and please tell me what you thought of the testing. I am curious.

Cheers,

Mics

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 9:31 pm

if u find sum ineed them too

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 9:35 pm

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 10:05 pm

Interesting. I got a perfect score for "verbal memory," which translated into a standard score of 126 and percentile rank of 96. For "executive functioning", my overall standard score was 91 and my percentile rank was 27, which is in the average range, and it broke down this way:

Correct responses: standard score of 86, percentile rank of 18 (low average)
Errors: standard score of 104, percentile rank of 61 (average)
Correct reaction time: standard score of 98, percentile rank of 45 (average)

So a little bit on the low end for producing correct responses on the executive functioning test, but overall average range. Executive functioning was definitely weaker than verbal memory though, which is not real surprising.

I wouldn't call that a "comprehensive test" for executive functioning though, since it only tests a few aspects of it (it even calls itself a "screening" and not a test), and it is definitely not a test for dyslexia. For "comprehensive testing" of anything you really need to see a professional. A "screening" is only used to determine whether there is a need to investigate further, i.e. whether actual testing should be completed.

Last edited by LostInSpace on 16 Aug 2010, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 10:09 pm

Ravenclawgurl wrote:

I just finished this test.

I scored in the 73rd percentile for verbal memory (average/high average) and in 2nd percentile ("very low"/impaired) for executive functioning. :x

No surprise really...these scores correspond pretty well with the professionally-administered tests of verbal memory/exe functioning that i've had.

It seems to me that my visual processing kills me on tests like this Shifting Attention Test. It took me a long time to match many of the correct shapes/colors. I was focused on doing so as quickly as possible and as a result, I pressed the wrong key a couple times too.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2010, 10:20 pm

My verbal memory was in the 66th percentile (average, but my executive function was in the 7th percentile (low). My experience of the test was similar to Horus's.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 10:39 pm

109 verbal and 98 for the other.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 10:47 pm

I'm a bit confused about this Shifting Attention Test. It seems to me that it would correspond with the Stroop Color and Word test that was included in several of my neuropsychological evaluations. One place that tested me placed the results of this test in the Attention/Concentration category. I just had another neuropsych eval and the Stroop test results were placed in the Executive Functioning/Language Functioning/Visual Perceptual Skills category.

More specifically...the neuropsychologist who administered my most recent test referred to the Stroop as a test of Verbal Executive Functioning. I'm at a loss here as to whether attention/concentration is considered an aspect of executive functioning or not. Furthermore, there is great variation in my scores between the Stroop I recently took and the one I had a few years ago. My speed of reading color names was low average on the recent Stroop. My speed of identification of colors was in the borderline range on the recent one. My speed of identification of colors in the face of interfering verbal stimuli was in the low average range on the recent Stroop.

On the other hand...my scores on the Stroop C AND the Stroop C-W were both in >99th%-tile/superior range on the earlier test I had. I believe this might have to do with a decline in my processing speed between the earlier neuropsych eval and my latest one. My processing speed index score was 108 (average) on the earlier neuropsych eval. The same index score on my most recent one was 86 (low average.) For some reason....my processing speed seems to have declined in a matter of ten years. I'm not so sure this has anything to do with a mere aging brain either. Rather, i'm thinking it might have to do with depression. I was far less depressed when I had the earlier neuropsych test 10 years.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 10:51 pm

rmctagg09 wrote:
My verbal memory was in the 66th percentile (average, but my executive function was in the 7th percentile (low). My experience of the test was similar to Horus's.

I'm not so sure if it's accurate to refer to this Shifting Attention Test as a test of executive functioning. At best...it measures an aspect of executive functioning. I'm not even sure if attention/concentration is even considered an aspect of executive functioning though. Refer to my post above if you want to know why i'm not sure.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 11:04 pm

With one exception....my attention/concentration is fine according to all the psychologists who have tested me. In one neuropsych eval... I scored on the impaired range on a timed task sustained attention and visual-motor tracking as well as cognitive flexibility and alternating attention. Hmm....perhaps the "timed task" on this neuropsych eval would better correspond to this "Shifting Attention Test" than the latter would with the Stroop test/s I mentioned in my previous post. That is....there was no motor componant on the Stroop test whereas there obviously was on the "timed task" I had.
The act of pressing the left/right key on this Shifting Attention Test is it's own motor componant.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 11:14 pm

Hmmm.

My standard scores were 77 (6th pctile) for Verbal Memory, and 84 (14th pctile) for Executive Functioning.

So Low for VM and Low/Average for EF.

I might try this again when I am a little more at leisure - I did it during my lunch break, so I might have been distracted

I am not sure how age affects this - especially the Verbal Memory score. They ask for age, but don't say whether the results are age-adjusted.

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2010, 11:19 pm

Fascinating test, and the Shifting Attention Test finally explains to me what the computer test I had to take during the neuropsychological assessment was for, specifically.

Standard Scores:
Verbal Memory: 111, 77th percentile. Above Average.
Executive Functioning: 64, 1st percentile. VERY Low.

Such a huge disparity on these two. I actually think it's pretty accurate for me.

I've decided to expand on the results.

Verbal Memory Test
Correct Hits - Immediate: 102, 55th percentile.
Correct Passes - Immediate: 111, 77th percentile.
Correct Hits - Delay: 115, 84th percentile.
Correct Passes - Delay: 95, 37th percentile.

Executive Functioning (Shifting Attention Test)
Correct Responses: 65, 1st percentile.
Errors: 78, 7th percentile.
Correct Reaction Time: 90, 25th percentile.

Last edited by Sefirato on 16 Aug 2010, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 11:25 pm

above average (90th percentile) for verbal memory, low (7th percentile!?) for executive functioning.

interesting because my verbal memory IRL is quite terrible (i actually had to attribute pictures to some of the words, or remember them by the look of the letters on the screen), and i'm good at matching colors and shapes. but, apparently, not changing rapidly from one to the other. i wonder if i might have done a bit better wearing sunglasses or turning the contrast way down on my computer monitor, as i have problems viewing dramatic color contrasts. i almost stopped taking the test midway because it was so difficult to look at.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 11:30 pm

I took this test two more times just to see what would happen.

My standard score on verbal memory was 102 and 99 respectively. A bit lower than my first score of 109, but both are still well-within the average range. My Shifting Attention Test percentile scores were 30 and 42....both in the average range.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 11:42 pm

Just for fun.

verbal memory 58 (92 percentile)
executive function 32 (7 percentile)

It is always a bit embarrassing when you find out you did pretty bad on one, yet you wonder how anyone could possibly score better than you did? It would seem superhuman to me to do any better than I did on executive function.

Also, shouldn't they be saying the words out loud to me if it were actual verbal memory?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 12:17 am

I don't know what it says about me that I don't understand the scores... :)

What is the difference between Subject score and Standard score?

The part I understand are the little x's. I was above average in verbal memory (84th percentile) and average in executive functioning (58th percentile). I'm assuming the percentile means 84% and 58% of test takers, respectively, did worse that I did?

buryuntime wrote:

Also, shouldn't they be saying the words out loud to me if it were actual verbal memory?

I agree. I would have found it far more difficult to remember the words if I hadn't seen them. I would also have found it more difficult if nearly all the words didn't seem to be so closely related. They almost all could have referred to a coastal scene.