Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 7:02 pm

Thanks!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 8:45 pm

The DSM-V is already several years overdue. There is no guarantee of when it will be officially issued, as there is still much disagreement over how some things will be classified. Don't hold your breath, no matter what anyone says, until its actually available.

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2010, 1:48 am

Yea the DSM-V is severely overdue, maybe it has to do with all those silly Scientologists criticizing everything, etc...

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 1:57 am

Nah, more like the silly psychologists arguing everything up one side and down the other like so many lawyers. They'll do that. :) It's nowhere near its final format.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2010, 2:04 am

I don't blame the psychologists for doing that... as soon as the DSM comes out, if it isn't worded right, every word will be criticized by people who resent the mental health industry.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 2:10 am

Like they won't do that anyway! Some people seem to have forgotten that psychologists and psychiatrists are only fallible human beings trying to do their best, rather than evil zombies controlled by a Big Pharma hive-mind.

Also, that would make a really creepy movie.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2010, 2:22 am

Yea good point... those morons will criticize anything they can get their hands on, or better yet, their eyes. You make it sound just right for those Scientology creeps with words like hive-mind!

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 5:25 am

Believe it or not there are many legitimate critiques of psychiatry that have nothing to do with Scientology. Scientologists just give the rest of us a bad name while simultaneously giving people a way to engage in knee-jerk dismissal of criticism they don't want to hear. The people with the most legitimate critiques tend to ve neither Scientologists nor "dissident psychiatrists" (the latter of which just want to change the content of the system while leaving the power structure relatively intact), but rather consumer/survivor/ex-patient groups with direct experience of the worst parts of the system. There are problems with the power structures and implementation as well as the theory and "science" (much of which are like a bizarre game of Telephone started by people with weird biases that mostly go unquestioned -- as a friend put it, science for people who don't want to be bothered with real science).

This doesn't mean the whole thing is useless, but there are serious problems that aren't being addressed and in jangly cases are outright dismissed nThe dismissal usually takes the form of accusing people of being Scientologists or of grossly stereotyping the content of the criticism. This does a disservice to people who experience the far bottom end of the psychiatric power structures. What happens to us is systemic, not isolated cases of abuse. It's much harder to implement psychiatry well than badly. IMHO it should be replaced by some combination of neurology, cognitive neuroscience, assistance for people in crisis, and a bunch of other things that don't exist yet. To get a real idea of what we are dealing with I recommend the books On Our Own (Judi Chamberlin), Call Me Crazy (Irit Shimrat) and Beyond Bedlam (Jeanine Grobe).

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2010, 6:11 am

That's actually a very interesting reply. I guess I was being a little biased when it comes to who is actually affiliated with Scientology, etc. There are people who dislike psychiatry as you said and have a legitimate reason, perhaps they developed diabetes while taking Zyprexa, or had developed an even worse mood while taking SSRIs, etc.

I like the fact that you mention the 'worst parts of the system'. There are bad parts of the psychiatric system, and unlike many of the other medical specialties, the specialty known as psychiatry has to deal with the human mind, which is poorly understood to this point. And when things are poorly understood, there is bound to be a 'bad part of the system'.

Obviously, when I mentioned 'morons' I was trying to exact make fun of the CCHR and their nonsense. I mean saying that psychiatrists have been ruining the world for millions of years, or that they are responsible for 9/11, or even the Holocaust is grossly ignorant, it's so ignorant that I have difficulty not laughing...

I'm trying to show you that I'm not as ignorant as I seem in the last posts... hopefully I am succesful. I am sure that there are people that have a legitimate reason to dislike psychiatry, and if their reasons don't include something to do with the Holocaust or 9/11, then I usually take the time to listen =)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 10:38 am

Oxybeles wrote:

I was told it was 2013, and before that it was 2012. They're delaying it more than the last Harry Potter film :roll:

But it's irrelevant, because we all know that the world ends 21st December 2012, so the DSM-V will actually never come into effect :P