celexa
gave me hypomania 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
did not give me hypomania 78%  78%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 23

olso4644
Raven
Raven

22 Aug 2010, 2:32 am

yeah the painful erection didn't happen with me. thank god. i wish that i hadn't gone on it tho. i don't know. i wish they would have discussed more with me how it can be bad for people with bipolar. I did a lot while on it that i regret, and i don't if this is apart of being an aspie, but it's difficult for me to deal with that regret, because i tend to be rather moral person.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 2:42 am

olso4644 wrote:
yeah the painful erection didn't happen with me. thank god. i wish that i hadn't gone on it tho. i don't know. i wish they would have discussed more with me how it can be bad for people with bipolar. I did a lot while on it that i regret, and i don't if this is apart of being an aspie, but it's difficult for me to deal with that regret, because i tend to be rather moral person.

yes thats what worries me, it says on the wiki its contraindicated for bipolar. I dont have a diagnosis of bipolar but have had several manic episodes in the past. Im very fearful of it makeing me manic and me then doing things I regret, I would never forgive myself.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 5:20 am

I had that taking ages to get off thing too.

GrimmRomance
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2010, 6:15 am

I'm on citalopram. :) Didn't give me a lot of side-effects, and the ones I had disappeared after a week. My mouth is still slightly dry, but that's easily dealt with. No manic/hypomanic reactions here.
It seems to work slightly, but it's not 100 % efficient to me. :/ But I don't want any other drugs. Tried efexor and they were horrible. Amongst a whole bunch of nasty side-effects the nightmares were the worst. I had them every night and in the end, I was so scared of falling asleep! D:

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 1:45 pm

picked up my citalopram today and I felt very odd all day, really stoned and confused. But this evening that has worn off and I just feel great! The children being naughty has not even bothered me, I feel great!

:D :D :D

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2010, 10:40 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
picked up my citalopram today and I felt very odd all day, really stoned and confused. But this evening that has worn off and I just feel great! The children being naughty has not even bothered me, I feel great!

:D :D :D

I had a few bouts of mild depersonalization and mild derealization the first week or so while the dosage was getting stabilized, so be careful driving or operating machinery. I'm only on 10mg so side-effects haven't been a problem other than the sex-drive being a bit more variable and orgasms taking a little longer

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 3:19 am

I went on it for a short while because of my co-morbid depression. It didn't do much except make me feel rather sick, so I stopped taking it. Now I manage my depression by exercising loads.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 3:42 pm

Im on day three now of taking citalopram and I feel so crap. I feel sick and woozy all day and really down. I hope I feel better soon :cry: :cry: :cry:

Im going to try to quit smoking again tomorrow so I will stay off the forum and cuddle up with a book instead. :(

Jordashimo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2011, 4:28 am

I was depressed and got on lexapro which did great for 2 years, then I couldnt get free samples anymore and they put me on citalopram. It sucked. I had chest pains. I would take a deep breath a feel a sharp pain that felt like it was my heart. It had me really worried for a little bit. I also had bad taste in my mouth cobstantly even while beushing my teeth 6 times a day. I went to the.dr. And complained and he switched me to paroxetine about 2 years ago. And now im good to go. No problems at all. I recomend paroxetine ya'll

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 4:37 am

Quote:
Im on day three now of taking citalopram and I feel so crap. I feel sick and woozy all day and really down. I hope I feel better soon

Im going to try to quit smoking again tomorrow so I will stay off the forum and cuddle up with a book instead.

Yeah that sucks. The first week is the hardest. Apparently I looked stoned and I was really drowsy, dizzy and nauseous the whole time. I'm still on it 7 years later because I changed GP about three times and they kept forgetting to take me off it (d'oh!) but after the initial first week, I felt fine. I can't say it helped that much, but my Mum said my mood swings decreased dramatically! I'm coming off them at the moment to see if I can cope solo!

As for the mania, I have never experienced this. I am permanently hyper due to possible ADHD. It didn't really affect my energy level after that first week. I wonder if some people are more sensitive to it if they have bipolar type depression? It would be interesting to see a study. On the other hand I was put on Abilify to help with my Tourettes/ADHD and I turned into a zombie!

Triddle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2011, 1:45 pm

I've been taking citalapram now for a few years, I've found a dose of 60mg to be quite therapeutic for me though not in fighting depression. The "side effects" of citalapram have become the prime motive for taking citalapram for me. First, on citalapram I don't need to take anything else for my allergies which must be treated with medication or I'll be dripping snot everywhere. Second, I've not had a single incident of my autonomic migraines since taking citalapram. This is not, to my knowledge, a known effect but I'm not going to experiment with this since anything that keeps those death headaches at bay is completely welcomed. Third, the "sexual dysfunction" for me has turned into sexual function - I've gone from two pump dumper to lasting several minutes with a sexual toy; I've not had intercourse with another human since trying this drug but I expect very positive results. Together all of these effects have helped me increase my quality of life and the low cost of $10 per prescription refill with out having medical insurance makes it highly cost effective.

There was a time when adjusting from 20mg to 40mg and then from 40mg to 60mg that sexual function was lost. I could achieve erection but would never orgasm. I accused my psychiatrist of breaking my penis; over time sexual function was restored better than ever.

80mg is too much - it made my emotions go completely out of control. While at that dose things that were good felt AMAZING but things that were bad were SOUL CRUSHING. Literally every day and every situation was off the charts good or borderline killing myself bad. Only my doctor realized how severe the emotional swings were and the possible consequences of them. My friends put up with this for about a month, especially the part where I insisted on disparaging myself and beating myself up emotionally. They took the time to talk to me about it so I could recognize what's going on and I came to the realization that the citalapram was doing this to me. They wanted me to go off the drugs but I just moved the dose back to 60mg and things are fine again.

My doc wants to try higher doses of citalapram in conjunction with risperidone to control the mood swings but I have not been able to do that yet as the risperidone is quite expensive.