Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 10:30 am

Involuntary facial tics - what do you know about them?

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 10:37 am

Um... I have them. I used to take Tenex for them until they settled down and now don't take anything for them. When they really act up (like when I'm trying to fall asleep) I do deep breathing and count to 10 with no tics, and that helps.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 10:42 am

I found this book very helpful
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tourette-Syndro ... 918&sr=8-2

my ex bf has tics, maybe he will write on the thread later.

tourettes seems very closely linked to AS and shares a lot of the same features. From reading that book I would think the gene for it is definately one in the mix of those for ASD. I definately have some of the qualities associated with tourettes such as stuttering and mirroring accents and ocd where I make things even. My daughter used to have lots of vocal tics and throat clearing and some gross motor tics so I obviously have some gene of it.

my ex said the tic feels like an itch and he has to do it, he can hold it off but its stressful. He does it more when he is tired or excited. Going on the computer made it worse and caffine.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 10:46 am

pgd wrote:
Involuntary facial tics - what do you know about them?

Had em when i was younger, but over time they went away. So, for some people, they may not be permanent.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 1:51 pm

I definitely had them growing up. Probably too much. Didn't help the 'weird' part... thought it was just ADHD.

I don't know, growing up I've somewhat lost them. I still do them when I'm by myself, and when I'm with others I hold them back, though it's really uncomfortable. I hate them either way...

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 1:59 pm

What i know of tics is that they usually seem to happen when one is either anxious, or is idling . . . it's like the brain doesn't know what to do, but the body has some additional energy that needs to be spent doing something. I'm usually able to keep mine private (meaning they don't tend to show when I'm around people). If I do get the urge in public, it usually results in me twitching my hand as opposed to "acting something out."

HailFirePeaks
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Aug 2010, 2:02 pm

When I was younger I had a lot of them. If I had one that was really bothering me, I tried to replace it with a tic that was less troublesome. Like when you feel like doing the tic, do something else. When I did this I found that the new tic would replace the old one.
There are also a lot of books about tourettes syndrome that may have info about how to handle tics. Search the internet for some.
And sometimes they just go away over time too. :D