Losing interest in a hobby

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 7:07 pm

Lately, I've lost interest in a hobby I've had for so, so many years, and have probably thrown tons of cash into. It's my flight simulation hobby, and now I feel disassociated from it. I no longer really spend time on the community forums

For those FS junkies (and yes, I know there are some Aspie FS enthusiasts), between many freeware authors going payware, the war between whether FSX, after four years is ready for the mainstream, whether FS9 is still a suitable sim, the ever changing aeronautical world, I tend to get frustrated at a hobby I've sort of loved for all these years.

But could it also have something to do with that I socialize more than I used to? I've even given up on playing The Sims 2 like I have, and I haven't even bought The Sims 3 yet. So, anyone have some advice?

If not, my frustration might lead me to purchase a PS3 and get interested in MMORPGs.

P.S. Does this belong here or in another category?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 7:21 pm

I find that I go from one hobby to another. Since I spend a lot of time in any one hobby at a time, there really isn't enough time to participate in more than one or two at a time.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 7:27 pm

I think I do tend to sometimes overextend myself hobby-wise.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden, where gentle Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow.

22 Aug 2010, 7:32 am

I remember losing interest, in a hobby. I've lost interest in video games, the summer that I became a member of WP.

The darling, unworldly Mick Avory with hands like shovels, who wouldn't dare choose to hurt a soul: I'm the cuddly, adorable Kink. Sweet Peas: http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/C ... 20Smileys/ Blog: http://ramblingsofasuccessfula

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 10:33 am

Hobbies and interests come and go with me. I have spent huge amounts of money on photography and yet right now I can't think of anything I would care to photograph. The same goes for film making.

But I dropped out of photography for many years between high school and ten years ago and yet returned with a great deal of enthusiasm. Then I drop out again, not knowing when or if I'll regain an interest.

I wish I understood how some people can keep focused on one interest their entire lives. While I am interested in a thing, it becomes my entire life. It's all I ever want to do. But when I lose interest, everything seems so blank and meaningless. Trying to get my motivation going is incredibly difficult.

I guess it's important to remember that the hobby should serve you. You do not need to be faithful to the hobby if it is doing you no good.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 10:39 am

Im also big on FS. Ive owned ever copy from the original diskette. I do agree that the few free planes left are junk which has left me doing some stuff i cant talk about to get them. Personally i just want to practice all the stuff i do in real life there but every so often a bit of fun must be had. PS3 is cool but the games get boring after you pass them.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]