New parent to asperger's ~ sleep problem question.

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2006, 7:05 pm

thorn969 wrote:
ryansjoy wrote:
thorn969 wrote:
Well, yes... I prefer living life at night, when there is no one around to disturb me.

I find that melatonin, which is a natural hormone that you can buy in the supermarket, helps me get to sleep as well as anything. I don't like using it and can usually ignore it's effects pretty well, but... it's something that I am more willing to do than the harder sleep drugs, that I also ignore.

research says that giving meatonin on a regular basis to children during the growing years stops certain hormone production that a child needs to grow. we used to give my son that and my husband did research and found this. my sister in law is a PHD in Pharm Meds here in the states and we confirmed this research is true. I thought I would let some parents know this because our Dr told us to give this to Ryan and she never really knew the findings..

And can you tell me research's name? Because Dr. research doesn't appear to have any papers published to the effect in PubMed. However, there is research showing that it is useful in chronic sleep onset insomnia.

my husband found it a while ago. he said this is a great webiste that pharmacies use and are helpful with alternative meds.. its alternative medicine.com. here is the link direct to melotonin http://www.alternativemedicine.com/comm ... recautions

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2006, 7:36 pm

thorn969 wrote:
ryansjoy wrote:
thorn969 wrote:
Well, yes... I prefer living life at night, when there is no one around to disturb me.

I find that melatonin, which is a natural hormone that you can buy in the supermarket, helps me get to sleep as well as anything. I don't like using it and can usually ignore it's effects pretty well, but... it's something that I am more willing to do than the harder sleep drugs, that I also ignore.

research says that giving meatonin on a regular basis to children during the growing years stops certain hormone production that a child needs to grow. we used to give my son that and my husband did research and found this. my sister in law is a PHD in Pharm Meds here in the states and we confirmed this research is true. I thought I would let some parents know this because our Dr told us to give this to Ryan and she never really knew the findings..

And can you tell me research's name? Because Dr. research doesn't appear to have any papers published to the effect in PubMed. However, there is research showing that it is useful in chronic sleep onset insomnia.

here is a very positive article here and I read at the very end that there is no long term study done of children that this institute knows of and that long term use of a hormone in children.. my husband just got home and he told me the research he did was thru the pharmacy he worked at and thru his sister who is a DR. I will try to get the info and scan it and post it here. oh well onto the artice I just found...http://bastyrcenter.org/content/view/717/